Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about upgrading from my Bear Whitetail Legend. There's a Mathews VXR 31.5 at the local shop they're asking $650 (bare). Going to take a look at it Monday. Anyone have any reasons to stay away from the VXR? I've read reviews online but they're all from when the bow was new in 2020. Any input from anyone that has owned one would be appreciated. I'm sure to me it will be a huge difference but would like to hear from people that have a lot more experience than I've got.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I had a VXR 28 and hated it. Had the Vertix before that and loved that bow. I think the 28 was just to short for me. I'm guessing the 31.5 is probably pretty solid bow. I'm sure others will chime in and I will probably get some hate for saying what I said about the 28....lol.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a VXR 28 and hated it. Had the Vertix before that and loved that bow. I think the 28 was just to short for me. I'm guessing the 31.5 is probably pretty solid bow. I'm sure others will chime in and I will probably get some hate for saying what I said about the 28....lol.
I was looking at getting the V3X 33. But i went and got my hands on one at the shop and thought it was a little too big. Wasn't really comfortable with the A to A length. Hopefully the 31.5 will be closer to my wheelhouse.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
I enjoyed shooting mine. It was one of the most stable bows I’ve owned and shot as well as some 35” ATA bows I owned. Some will say the longer riser is marketing but it proved to be a very accurate bow. It’s a touch top heavy but that was easily solved with a stabilizer. I ran a 10” stabilizer + a QD (12” total length) with 2 oz. and it held on target very well.
I had no issues with mine and only sold it to try something new this year. The price of $650 bare bow is tough to beat. I sold mine for $675 a couple months back for comparison on price.

· Cato
4,217 Posts
I love mine. No regrets at all.

Reactions: Cartc18

· Registered
PSE Mach 34 - Athens Vista 31
5,346 Posts
I had a beautiful ambush green VXR 31.5. I had a Vertix before that. I loved the Vertix and shot it very well. The VXR was solid, steady, but could never get it to feel as good as the Vertix. The VXR is a great bow. I just couldn’t get it to fit me.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I enjoyed shooting mine. It was one of the most stable bows I’ve owned and shot as well as some 35” ATA bows I owned. Some will say the longer riser is marketing but it proved to be a very accurate bow. It’s a touch top heavy but that was easily solved with a stabilizer. I ran a 10” stabilizer + a QD (12” total length) with 2 oz. and it held on target very well.
I had no issues with mine and only sold it to try something new this year. The price of $650 bare bow is tough to beat. I sold mine for $675 a couple months back for comparison on price.
Great. Thanks for the input. I thought the price point was pretty good.

· Registered
1,533 Posts
It's really not much different than any of the newer models. Price is good as well, it would be a very substantial upgrade from what you have now. I owned one that I probably should of held onto. Extremely easy to tune, shot a pretty wide range of spines as well.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's really not much different than any of the newer models. Price is good as well, it would be a very substantial upgrade from what you have now. I owned one that I probably should of held onto. Extremely easy to tune, shot a pretty wide range of spines as well.
Thanks. I think I'm going to give it a go. Next thing is to nail down what accessories are going on it. Ha.

· Registered
Mathews VXR 31.5, HHA Tetra Max, QAD Integrate MX, 10/8 Flatlines, Mathews V-Bar, Victory VAP TKO
293 Posts
I bought mine last year in April as an upgrade from my Bear Species, which was my first bow. This bow will be retiring here lol. It has killed both my first ever deer (a doe) and my first buck. Also, it’s whisper quiet and very smooth. I have a longer draw length at 30.5” and it’s comfortable for me. At $650, that is quite a good deal! I’m hoping you have great success with yours like I have with mine. Good luck!
Poster Font Motor vehicle Fictional character Advertising

· The Impartial Archer
24,837 Posts
I was looking at getting the V3X 33. But i went and got my hands on one at the shop and thought it was a little too big. Wasn't really comfortable with the A to A length. Hopefully the 31.5 will be closer to my wheelhouse.

It "looks" big because the riser design.......it's still a 33 inch bow....looks long but a 33 inch bow is not long. That said another option might be the V3 31. Did they have that? I bet you can get one of those for $1000 because the 29 & 33 are the new flavor. I'd compare the two.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got one and really like it so far. It is smooth quite and the ambush green is a sharp color. $650 is a smoking deal I would not hesitate in this purchase.

It’s a shooter!!!
Yeah i think I'm going to be waiting at the door when the shop opens tomorrow. All the comments have kinda talked me into it.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
If it already has custom strings on it, is it a "used" bow? If so, $650 is a decent price as long as the condition is really nice. There will be no warranty though. i have shot my brother's VXR 31.5 and it is a really nice bow

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it already has custom strings on it, is it a "used" bow? If so, $650 is a decent price as long as the condition is really nice. There will be no warranty though. i have shot my brother's VXR 31.5 and it is a really nice bow
It is used, the pictures make it seem like there's not a scratch on it. Might be a different story in person but it really does seem to be really well taken care of.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.