Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the Alphaburner and I really like it but no one has the XLR8 locally and I was hoping to get some comparisons of the following attributes.

First off which one is easier to pull maxed out and if someone has experience with 70# or 80# versions I'd appreciate it.

Which one is easier and cheaper to swap out for draw length. If I'm correct the Mathews generally are a lot simpler and cheaper to change?

If I got a 70# bow in either the Alphaburner or the XLR8, which is easier and cheaper to swap out to 80# limbs. The reason I ask is I've found deals on the 70# version of both but there aren't a lot of used 80# versions available and I don't care to pay new prices.

Also if anyone has an opinion of the the following when maxed out I'd appreciate it. Hoyt Maxxis 35 max pull compared to a maxed Alphaburner.

Maxed out Mathews Z7 compared to maxed out Mathews XLR8.

I've had a chance to play with the Maxxis and the Z7 so if I could just get some references comparing them it would help me out.

Also which would you choose for accuarcy XLR8 or Alphaburner if you have in fact had them on paper.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also does anyone know a dealer who offers Hoyt or Mathews bows at very reasonable prices that is willing to ship?

Thanks

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
The XLR8 will flat out smoke the alphaburner. They both have stiff draws when maxed out and dont allow for much creep once your there, i found there to be little back wall on the burner and felt like i was pulling just to hold it back, the monster is SOLID at full draw and holds so nice. i would choose the XLR8 just because i shoot them better than the burner, way better. Once again the XLR8 will flat out smoke any bow but the omen in the speed department. The burner will look slow

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Based upon the comparison it's obvious you are looking for a speed bow. IMO the AB has a smoother draw. It's stiff but a smooth rollover. You then need to consider brace height and how your form is. 5" vs 6" can be a big difference. I would consider the Monster 6 over the xlr8 but that's just me. You really need to shoot them both and see what you like best. The have very differnt grips, balance,let off and hold at the wall. I'm a huge Hoyt fan and not to get off topic but I shot them all including the destroyer 350 and it's hard for me to admit but the d350 was my favorite and it has 5" of dl adjustment that is easy to change and it was smoking fast at 355fps out of the box. Good luck in your selection

·
Registered
126 Posts
i bet that xlr8 isnt that much faster really. And it should smoke it, its rated way faster. But i can tell you right now that the burner is WAY smoother and easier to shoot

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The XLR8 will flat out smoke the alphaburner. They both have stiff draws when maxed out and dont allow for much creep once your there, i found there to be little back wall on the burner and felt like i was pulling just to hold it back, the monster is SOLID at full draw and holds so nice. i would choose the XLR8 just because i shoot them better than the burner, way better. Once again the XLR8 will flat out smoke any bow but the omen in the speed department. The burner will look slow
I have to agree on all counts. I'm a Hoyt guy, but had to admit I liked the draw cycle, the solid wall, and the flat out nasty speed of the XLR8 over the AB.

Not only that, but the AB is a more expensive bow, (by a few hundred bucks here), and the limbs are more expensive as well.

I got quoted around $185 for the Hoyt limbs...not ABs..Vulcans, and the Monster limbs are around 35 bucks each x 4 = $140. Not sure if the 80# versions are more.

The XLR8 has modules to change draw length...a plus for resale if you have to. I believe the Hoyt is draw length specific.

I love my XLR8. One of the best bows I've ever owned.

BTW...what's with that little hump in the AB's draw cycle? Not a Hoyt classic in my eyes...JMHO.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
All things being equal the xlr8 is only 8-10fps faster then the Alpahburner which makes sense because the xlr8 has a shorter brace height. IMO the Alphaburner is much smoother on the draw and if you were to drop 5 pounds on the xlr8 to send the arrow downrange at the same speed as the Alphaburner the Alphaburner is STILL smoother and eaiser to draw. For me there is no contest when it comes to which one is easier to shoot accurately and I don't mean which one is more accurate becasue they both are accurate but which one is easier to shoot accurate is without question the Alphaburner.

·
Registered
921 Posts
the xlr8 is a whole different critter.the draw is smoother on the burner but in an independent test the xlr8 beat the omen by 2 fps.but a previous post mentioned the destroyer and i obviously went with that because of the smoothness and the speed.if you shot all 3 you will see what im saying

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
the xlr8 is a whole different critter.the draw is smoother on the burner but in an independent test the xlr8 beat the omen by 2 fps.but a previous post mentioned the destroyer and i obviously went with that because of the smoothness and the speed.if you shot all 3 you will see what im saying
shhhhh dont let the pse fans hear that,it will start a war!:D

·
Banned
3,502 Posts
All I can say is the Burner will not derail the strings and cables like the xlr8... Seems as if the derailment of strings happens a lot in this area any way....But for speed if that is what you want, the omen or the xlr8!!! Dependability and some good speed the burner hands down!!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
All I can say is the Burner will not derail the strings and cables like the xlr8... Seems as if the derailment of strings happens a lot in this area any way....But for speed if that is what you want, the omen or the xlr8!!! Dependability and some good speed the burner hands down!!
Man, thank god that hasn't happened. I have the deeper grooved cams. Wasn't the problem with the shallow cams?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
i never did hear of an xlr8 derail,unless it was severely torqued,it was the m6 that had some issues with this,but the problem was solved with deeper grooved cams.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
All things being equal the xlr8 is only 8-10fps faster then the Alpahburner which makes sense because the xlr8 has a shorter brace height. IMO the Alphaburner is much smoother on the draw and if you were to drop 5 pounds on the xlr8 to send the arrow downrange at the same speed as the Alphaburner the Alphaburner is STILL smoother and eaiser to draw. For me there is no contest when it comes to which one is easier to shoot accurately and I don't mean which one is more accurate becasue they both are accurate but which one is easier to shoot accurate is without question the Alphaburner.
??? isn't IBO for the AB 340 and
for the xlr8 360+? where are you getting 8-10fps?

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
??? isn't IBO for the AB 340 and
for the xlr8 360+? where are you getting 8-10fps?
Yes it is but like most Hoyt's and even more so with the Alphaburner most folks are getting 10-12 fps over advertised IBO. I have two one is getting 12fps over and the other is 13 fps over advertised IBO. That's putting Alphaburners in the low 350fps range. Again all things being equal ( draw length in paticular ) the Alphaburner is only 8-10fps off the xlr8. which is where it should be because of the shorter BH of the xlr8.

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
Yes it is but like most Hoyt's and even more so with the Alphaburner most folks are getting 10-12 fps over advertised IBO. I have two one is getting 12fps over and the other is 13 fps over advertised IBO. That's putting Alphaburners in the low 350fps range. Again all things being equal ( draw length in paticular ) the Alphaburner is only 8-10fps off the xlr8. which is where it should be because of the shorter BH of the xlr8.
when you show me an alphaburner doing 350 ibo let me know, then show me a XLR8 thats under 360, the XLR8 is 16-20 fps faster

·
Banned
3,502 Posts
i never did hear of an xlr8 derail,unless it was severely torqued,it was the m6 that had some issues with this,but the problem was solved with deeper grooved cams.

And I would say torque was the problem....Should have put that in my original post...

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Alpha burner will be smoother, XLR8 will be faster. Your call.

:izza:

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
This will also depend on what exactly you are looking for in a "Speed Bow".

Alpha Burner / Monster XLR8​

IBO
340fps / 360+fps​
ATA
34.75" / 33.50"​
Mass Weight
4.3lbs / 4.4lbs​
Brace Height
6" / 5"​
Draw Weight
40-80#​
Draw Length