Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews XT

631 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  wolfman_73
Last year due to a shoulder injury, I had to buy 50# limbs for my Switchback XT. I had 60# limbs but, I did not want to back them off far enough to be able to shoot again. My new limbs came through at 55#'s and now I still have to back them off to shoot at 47#'s. I have this large gap in my limb pockets, which was what I was tring to avoid.

Is it normal for limbs to be shipped this far over the specified weight? I know the bow is in time because, I had the dealer check it last year. Could it be that the cable is twisted too short? This whole thing really disappoints me.:sad:
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7,899 Posts
with the limbs cranked down...was the bow in spec? if so i imaging you got them about 3 turns out i would imagine that you would have about a 1/4 inch gap between the limb and the pocket. if the bows shooting fine i wouldnt worry about it.

hook

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I would say that your bow is out of spec.

Check ATA (31in)
And Brace Height (7.5)

My XT bottomed out right at 70 pounds.

My DXT bottoms out at 71 pounds in spec, when out of spec it went to 74lbs.

Those limbs should be right in there at 50-51 lbs.

· Registered
3,311 Posts
5 pounds over stated max does seem a bit high for the Mathews limbs, 2-3 is more the norm, but I was wondering if you have custom strings on your bow? I ask this because I have seen many times that the custom built strings are shorter than original spec strings which usually adds poundage. I believe the reason for this is because most of these string builders measure the strings when they are under 300+ pounds of tension and when installed on your bow they will never be pulled out to that dimension by a 50, 60, or 70lb bow.

· Registered
9,514 Posts
My XT with the limb's all the way the way turned down was 71lbs., my Drenalin is 60lbs on the button turned all the way down. So I'd say something is out of spec.s, if I remember correctly a longer ATA will give you more (I think):embara::embara::embara:

I'd recheck the specs. and you should only have to turn it out 2-3 turn's to get around 46-47lbs.

· It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Yes a string that is long will increase the weight and a short string will decrease the weight. My mathews both bottom out, 60#, at about 62#.

I would double check the specs and see if twisting the string up a little would help.

· Registered
3,311 Posts
Yes a string that is long will increase the weight and a short string will decrease the weight. My mathews both bottom out, 60#, at about 62#.

I would double check the specs and see if twisting the string up a little would help.
I think you said that backwards ^^^
All the Mathews bows I have owned have lost poundage as the original strings stretched.

· Unregistered User
1,748 Posts
I think you said that backwards ^^^
All the Mathews bows I have owned have lost poundage as the original strings stretched.
He has it right. Your string may have stretched, but your cable has probably stretched as well. The cable more easily changes draw weight than the string does. A twist in a string doesn't affect draw weight nearly as much as a twist in the cable.

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Measurements

I measured everything on the bow and this is what I found. ATA 31"..BH 7 5/8" ( I have a Tronjo grip)..gap in limb pocket 3/16". The string is the standard Mathews string. It's a shame because, I went to the 50# limbs so I could shoot the bow with the limbs tight. Now I have to back them out to get to 50# and even more to get to 47#. Oh well, it should be more marketable with 55# limbs, should I decide to sell it.

Has anyone shot the Katera and compared the draw cycle to the XT?

· Registered
5,479 Posts
My bow is in perfect spec and im bottomed at 75 lbs:confused:
Your bow may be in spec but I would bet that your cable has too many twists in it.

My DXT will get 74 if I twist up the cable and untwist the string and it will still be in spec. Timing very close.

You should look into this because it could be a safety concern.

And I found that my DXT was actually faster when I got the cable twisted right, in spec and at 71 pounds than at 74.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Some twisting had to be done once my new string stretched a little but even before that i was hitting 75 lbs. Some bows max out more than others some bows max out less than others. I refuse to shoot my bow with way to much twist in the cables. My point is not all bows will be the same even if the same model

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eric,

Me too, that's why I put the 50# limbs on it. I found it very disappointing to see it at 55#. I had my 60# limbs backed down to 56# and knew I was going to have to go more to be able to shoot.:mad:

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Xt

I talked to one of the Mathews Tec's yesterday. He told me that my bow was probably out of time. He then told me that when you time the bow, the limbs should be locked down tight. I took the bow back to the dealer today and he timed it with the limbs locked down. The bow is now in perfect time and it bottoms out at 52#. One turn off and it is right at 49#'s. Perfect, thats just what I wanted. Thanks to all of you who replied with help.

· It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Glad to hear it got straightened out. Good luck on the shoulder rehab.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.