Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I am relatively new to archery,started
this summer,I purchased a used older model to start (Browning pro 600 Target bow),just to make sure I like the sport,
I love it! ,Won the Bronze medal in my first 3d tournament in September,Now I need to chose a Bow that I will stick to for many years,mainly for 3D,Spot,and maybe FITA in a near Future,I don't hunt,I have my eyes on one these to bows ,Martin ScepterIII or Cougar III ,and would like the opinion of the archer on this Forum to help me choose wich one or something else all together,Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
if you can go shoot eather one to see if you do like one over the other thay are bouth top of the line bow that will take you to the winers line:D

runaways DEAD Xs

·
Registered
17 Posts
I currently have a Scepter II with Fury cams, a Scepter III with Fury X cams, and a Cougar with Fury cams. I shoot the Scepter II for 3D, the Scepter III for indoor target, field, and fita, and I hunt with the Cougar. I love all three. I have never shot the Cougar III, but so far the Scepter III is definitely my favorite. Earlier this year I set a new personal record the second time I shot it. I would highly recommend one for target archery. Make sure you get either the Fury cam or the Fury X cam. I prefer the Fury X myself, but some people find clearance problems with them due to the extra set of cables. I haven't found it to be a problem. When you order, make sure you know your exact draw length because the Fury cams are not adjustable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's for the tip,If I understand correctly ,to change the draw lenght you need different module,are they expensive,that would mean if I find a good deal used I would have to change the string
and the module might be worth it to by brand new ,unless you find your lenght,cause I don't have the money to buy new .
PG Fury I also lean towards the scepter because of the brace height,how about the 2002 models ,is there a huge difference
with the "III" Models,I have seen a few 2002 on ebay.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Correct to change the drawlength on a fury or fury X system you need to change the entire cam that correspondes to the draw length you want. That being said if you are looking for a cam system with a little more flexibility I think I would personally wait until Martin's 04' line comes out....

Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you think it will be worth the wait i'm in no hurry,as long that
I have a few months to get use to the bow before the summer outdoors tournaments starts.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Jazz, waiting will definatelty be worth it. Martin has some changes in store that will make it even harder to choose between the Cougar and Scepter. Just pick which looks best :) And TJ is right. The 2004 line will have much more flexibility with draw length.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if I will be able to aford a new 2004,but I will take
your advice and wait,thank you what I was told about this forum is very true,I am quite happy to have found it,
Thank's

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
jazz,

I agree with these other guys.
Definitely wait on the 2004 models.
They're just around the corner. ;)

Sag.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you own all those Bows under your name Sagittarius

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Jazz,

Yes, I own all those bows plus the sights, rests, and stabilizers mentioned.
Big time Bow addict. LOL
As you can see, Ol' Sag only shoots the best! ;)
I can't shoot but I look good on the line. :D

Sag.

Here's my latest fix. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I can't shoot but I look good on the line." lol,that is a Bowman I think,I came very close to get one ,do you like it ,I would you compare it to the Martin Scepter,man I guess your a bow addict,
lucky you

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Jazz,

I love my new Bowman.
It is a brute strong bow with awesome craftsmanship.
Probably the strongest built bow in the world right now.
As far as comparing it to the Scepter III, I plead the 5th. ;)
Actually, it just comes down to what appeals to you and what feels good.
The swivel grip on the Bowman takes getting used to.
I like it just fine but you might not.
The bow is fairly heavy but I'm pretty big and strong so I don't mind the weight. :)
If you watch what accessories you put on the Bowman, you can control the weight somewhat.
The CBE sight on mine is fairly light and doesn't weigh it down too bad.
I like a fairly heavy bow for shot control anyway while others despise them.
I love the Merlin Super Nova also.
It is the most beautiful compound bow ever made, imho.
Great finish, beautiful lines, and awesome craftsmanship too.
These two bows are the best in the world to me.
I said "TO ME" so save the nasty replies everyone. ;)
To others, the Scepter III or something else might be their personal pick for no 1 bow.
All the top bows are great and get the job done.
Pick the one that YOU think is best.
Good luck in your search!

Sag.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is very little difference between the Scepter II and the Scepter III. The differences are mostly cosmetic. If I put the two side by side, the critical points are identical. That being said, I do think the Scepter III shoots a little bit better. That could be attributed to the Fury X cam though. I don't know what Martin is releasing in '04, but they will most likely be unveiling them in the next month or so. Last year the Wildes were showing off their new bows at the Utah Open in December. I would bet they are doing the same this year. This being said, I would also recommend waiting to see their new line if you can. Their new line will probably free up some Scepter IIIs also.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,432 Posts
PGFury said:
There is very little difference between the Scepter II and the Scepter III. The differences are mostly cosmetic. If I put the two side by side, the critical points are identical. That being said, I do think the Scepter III shoots a little bit better. That could be attributed to the Fury X cam though. I don't know what Martin is releasing in '04, but they will most likely be unveiling them in the next month or so. Last year the Wildes were showing off their new bows at the Utah Open in December. I would bet they are doing the same this year. This being said, I would also recommend waiting to see their new line if you can. Their new line will probably free up some Scepter IIIs also.
I own both and I do not agree that the S3 contains only cosmetic differences. True most of the functional dimensions are the same, but the riser is much stiffer than the S2 and the shelf above the grip has been much improved. The S2 had a square shelf above the grip that was very difficult to get proper hand clearance, the S3 has taken care of this with abundant clearance on the underside of the shelf on both sides. Add to this built-in shock reducers and a much sleeker design. I have to say this is a much-improved Scepter in it’s third generation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone now I will definately wait ,like it was said it will free up ScEPTER III's ,wich really is the one i'm leaning towards
the most ,Thanks

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
if you are a big draw shooter, get a scepter 3, if you are a short to medium draw shooter, go with the cougar 3. :)

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Archery1 what are you talking about?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What would you consider a big draw archery 1,and why would that make a difference between those bows.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Yeah my Pro Tec has a bigger brace height than both of them (and so does an Ultra Tec for that matter) so should I not shoot either one of them?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts