Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok while pulling back my SBXT, 1/3 of the way back the cable snapped in half. My question is does the bottom cam suppose to be able to spin completely around without rubbing the limb? I dont know what to do, this freaked me out

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It rolls all the way around and touches in just one spot, looks fairly straight to me, this just has me very worried

· Registered
1,880 Posts
As long as its normal movent with the cables applied it does not touch you are fine what may touch with the limbs unflexed means little to me as the limb is flexed it may clear.I would be more worried about cracks or splinters in the limbs or bearing issues.

· Unregistered User
1,748 Posts
It rolls all the way around and touches in just one spot, looks fairly straight to me, this just has me very worried
Right. I know what you're talking about, but I just can't remember which bows will do that and which aren't supposed to. Either way I would take the cam off and set it on a flat surface to make sure it isn't bent. If it looks straight and the limbs show no damage you shouldn't have a problem.

· Registered
637 Posts
It will touch the limb when you take off the string and cables--mine did the same thing when I replaced them. Don't worry about it . . it is fine.

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So with the cable breaking do you not think it suffered a dry fire? It was enough force to knock the rubber stopper out of the bottom cam stop, but I pray its ok and just needs strings and cables and ill get to shot it for the first time

· Banned
1,969 Posts
best thing to do is call mathews customer service and speak with one of their techs.:darkbeer::darkbeer:

· Registered
637 Posts
Do you mean the string suppressor out of its arm? If you are worried, I would have a dealer check it out for you. What I'm saying is that it is normal for the cam to contact the lower limb when it is unhooked from the string and cables--it cannot go all the way around without contact.

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think with me not being the original owner would they be willing to help?

· Registered
637 Posts
I would have a shop look at it . . peace of mind is more important than money. Many shops wouldn't charge you to have a look at it. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having them look at it tommorow, if everything checks out im gonna have them install a set of Vapor Trail strings

· Registered
585 Posts
I have never seen a cam that would not spin all the way around. Just changed the cam on my LX and it will spin freely without touching if the draw stop is removed. I have owned several Mathews and all of them would spin freely.

· Registered
939 Posts
What you are describing is normal. That doesn't mean that when your cable snapped damage was not done to the bow, but light contact between the cam and the limb is normal when strings are not installed. The part of the rotation which casuses the contact should not be part of the normal rotation of the cam when straings are installed and properly timed. Besides that, other damage could have been done when your cable snapped. If it were me, I would take the bow apart, run cotton balls over everything to check for splinters, roll the axle on a flat table to check for any bend, then string the bow and look at cam and idler lean. If all checks out, then you've dodged the bullet and should have peace of mind in your equipment. :thumb:

· Registered
637 Posts
What you are describing is normal. That doesn't mean that when your cable snapped damage was not done to the bow, but light contact between the cam and the limb is normal when strings are not installed. The part of the rotation which casuses the contact should not be part of the normal rotation of the cam when straings are installed and properly timed. Besides that, other damage could have been done when your cable snapped. If it were me, I would take the bow apart, run cotton balls over everything to check for splinters, roll the axle on a flat table to check for any bend, then string the bow and look at cam and idler lean. If all checks out, then you've dodged the bullet and should have peace of mind in your equipment. :thumb:
Exactly--thank you. I would still take it to the shop and have a Mathews dealer look at it for the peace of mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.