Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Ok I know everyone has an opinion so bring it on.

I am going to purchase a new bow theres no doubt about it. I have this part time gig at pro-shop, and my discount is too good to pass up a the opportunity.

I am most interested in the Q2 and Q2XL, along with the LX. I have been shooting PSE's for 10 years.

So come on you guys bring on all the opinions about Matthews, and why I would choose the Q2 over the Q2XL or the LX or vice versa.

Thanks.....:cool:

·
archery nut
5,849 Posts
my two favorite bows are the q2xl and the legacy (i have both), i've had an lx and a q2 in the past. i like the legacy for hunting and it is a good 3d bow too, but i use my q2xl for 3d and as a backup hunting bow. if you want a bow that can do it all, i would recommend the q2xl, it is very forgiving and is not too big and does fine in a treestand. i just did not like the 80% letoff of the lx (65% was way to short of a valley on the lx). shoot them all and go with the one that fits you best

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mhoff15

Thanks for the input. That's the nice thing about working at the shop. I have shot every bow we have in the shop for the most part. I have to admit that I do like th Q2XL the best out of them all. I have also shot a couple of the Hoyts, and am not sure how I feel about the new CAM.5. I know we sell as many of them as we do Matthews.

Again Bud... Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's about preference!

What are you looking for in a bow? The Q2 has a 34" ata and the Q2XL has a 38" ata. The only other difference is the XL weighs 4.3 lbs instead of 4lbs.

·
74,535 Posts
Q2XL is best choice for me

I feel its a excellant choice because one certainly could shoot this bow for hunting and 3D or indoor shooting. Smooth bow that makes the requirements for pope and young also.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I own a Q2 (hunting) and a Q2XL (3D). They are great bows and smooth shooting. Setup correctly, you can't tell the difference between the two. They are very similar feeling to the Legacy also. I have compared the my bows with the Legacy. All shoot very similar, except the Legacy is a little quieter.

I have only shot the LX, but do not own it. The only advantage I believe in the LX is the speed. The LX really is a quick bow. It is only rated at 316 fps, but is shooting fairly close to that (Unlike most bows and their ratings). Obviously depending on your setup, I would expect about a 15-20 fps difference between the LX and the Q2/Q2XL/Legacy.

The downside of the LX is that it has a shorter brace height, which makes it a bit more unstable and touchy. If you were a new shooter, I would strongly suggest the Q2 line. If you a quality shooter, than there would be no problem with the LX. Also, the LX is a bit heavier that the Q2 line of bows. Heavy is always better, but many people prefer a lighter bow. If you prefer light, the LX may be too heavy for you at first

If I were buying a new bow for myself right now, I would purchase an LX for the only reason of speed. Otherwise, my next choice is the Q2XL. I personally think the Q2XL is the most under-rated bow that mathews makes. It is just an awesome shooter for hunting or target.

At 60# I am getting 281 out of my Q2XL. At 70# I am getting 292 out of my Q2. The do have totally different setups and different arrows.

Hope this helps shed a little light.

PM me if you have more questions

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The q2xl fits me better but I'm rather large.. if you are
medium to small sized, either would do fine.. keep in
mind though the string angle will be more acute with
the q2.. if this is a hunting bow, I don't see why it
would matter that much, but for target the q2xl offers
a better string angle...I do not currently own either
of these bows but have shot them both several times.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Same boat...kind of

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat as you...Been shooting PSE for awhile but I just want to try a Mathews for a season atleast....I'm between the LX and the Legacy....I know the LX is faster and I do like that but I think I'm going with the Legacy just because of the extra brace height....I like atleast 7's of brace height on my bows and the Legacy is 7 1/2" compared to the LX's 6 5/8"s.........I thought about the Q2XL also but I want the roller cable guard and the string suppressores................Oh man, decisions, decisions........:rolleyes:

·
Banned
66 Posts
i know what you guys mean. I always shot pse's. I briefly had 2 martins but didnt like them so much. Then I bought the AR had trouble with it.

While I was waiting for parts i went and looked at an LX.:D That made my decision very easy.

It is the smoothest bow I have ever shot. All the others were kinda hard till they brokeover but the LX has a smoother draw and it is easier to hold back too. I dont understand why. I went up to 60lbs. with only 65% letoff and it seems easier than my 55lbs. at 75% letoff that I had before.

It is one heck of a bow and Mathews has a new fan hence my new name on these forums! You wont regret it!

In fact, I have a new PSE primos STL over here. I traded the AR for it. I have pulled it back a few times. Nice bow but you can tell it is much harder to pull back till it breaks over.

I think it is the shape of the cams. The LX has an almost completely round cam and most single cams have the big shark fin looking cam.

Rick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys. Well my decision was easy to make. Thanks for the great input.

I ended up buying the Q2XL. For a few reasons.

1) All the recommendations.
2) I sold the last lefty LX to a customer last night(Normally I could wait until a new order came but read #3)
3) A customer dryfired my PSE Carrera in the store last night and exploded it. Which left me with no Bow to hunt with this weekend.

So I now own a Matthews, and am going to finish the setup tonight, and hopefully get it sighted in.

Again guys thanks alot.

Kodi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts