Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big brown truck showed up today and delivered my long awaited custom colored Max3000. I went with the R2, long [email protected] and shoot through. What a bow.

My first reaction before the bubble wrap was even removed was WOW! The attention to detail and craftsmanship that everybody raves about are definitely justified. I love my Flame Ultratec and it's a really nice bow, really nice, but this Max goes one step or even two steps further. The guys at Merlin really care about what they're shipping out.

And a big thanks to Kevin/Pinwhee12. You can tell what a man is made of when the crap hits the fan and let me tell you Kevin and the guys at Merlin are top notch.

Unfortunately I've spent all evening setting it up so the shooting will have to wait till tomorrow night. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. The cams draw smooth but firm with a wall like granite. I'll post pictures in the next day or two. The color combo is really striking and I'd imagine it's one of those love it or hate it deals. I LOVE IT!:D :D :D

Justin

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Glad you Like it

Beautiful bow. Looks like they went the extra mile for you. I like mine ok now that I have the right modules to give the draw length I ordered. I am even ok with the long limbs that came on it when I ordered it with the short limbs. Kevin is a great guy. He swapped modules with me for Merlin. Wish my wife felt the same way about hers. Ordered it for 24" AMO and it came in wrong. Now I find out that we are out of luck with the 24" AMO unless we short string it and over rotate the cams. Short stringing lessens the letoff and we were hoping for more letoff with the RP2 cams, not less. The 60% letoff hurts her shoulder. Guess I am going to have to sell hers and look to some other manufacturer to fit her. Unfortunate.
Jbird

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jbird

Man, that stinks. You were a big part in my decision to go with Merlin. I guess no manufacturer is beyond fault. There were some bumps in the road with my order as well but Kevin really took the bull by the horns and got the thing straightened out. I can see why Merlin is planning to limit the available options next year. I guess you can't be all things to all people. The real bummer is when Merlin makes the transition to a more limited and mainstream product line they become just another Martin, Mathews, Hoyt, PSE or Bowtech. I guess that's not such a bad thing if you're a business but it does leave us consumeres in a lurch. Hope things work out for you Jbird.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Justin,

She is absolutely wonderful! I wish you all the luck in the world with it! You certainly made an excellent choice!

Denise

·
CottonHeadedNinnyMuggins
1,247 Posts
Now that is one beautiful bow!!! If that thing shoots half as good as it looks, You got yourself a winner!

JBird,
Have you looked into the Hunters Quest 35 for your wife? I would bet that they could get down to her draw length with the shorter AtA. I think I remember you said something of building a Phantom for her? Well the Quest is very simular to the Phantom.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rolex 24
I think you will really like the 3000. My 3000 is the best one I have shot, and I have the max 2000 and the Super Nova. Be careful when using that type of bow rest on the limbs. The one I have has damaged the paint on the lower limb. Great looking bow and I think you will like the way it shoots.

Mike

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Justin, JBird---

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the praise, it's nice to have people recognize the fact that I do try to do my best for them. ;)

Justin, man, that is one sharp looking rig the more I look at it! I checked it out when it was here, but that setup is definately sweet. Too bad they are cutting back on their options, they do make great custom stuff. Price you pay to grow I guess... I agree with mjs---be careful of pro-pods on that limb paint!

Enjoy your bow!;) Pinwheel 12

Mrchaos----www.merlin-bows.co.uk

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yea, I know what you mean about that initial feeling when you take a Max3000 out of the UPS box. I’m really not knocking the Hoyts, Mathews and Martins of the world but they just don’t have the cosmetic “WOW factor” that the Merlin Max3000 does. Kind of like the difference between the Camry I drive and the Lexus I want to drive. They both will accomplish the same goal, but if cost weren’t a factor (which it isn’t if you decide to buy a Max3000 instead of the others), I think we’d all be driving the Lexus given the choice. You guys shooting Hoyts, Mathews and Martins just have to see one first hand to understand…..and it really helps if the one you hold belongs to you…..as this will even further intensify the feeling. Sound like more and more people are starting to experience this though…..which is a good thing. Have fun with your bow…..you will love it!

Tom

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Nice

Had the same feeling taking mine out of the box. I've had mine since Monday and have NOT shot it! I think depression is starting to set in. Got the bow 99% of the way set-up and then didn't have the right allen wrench to attach the cable guard and at 10pm at night not too many stores are open that carry allen wrenches. Next two nights the wife books stuff to do, btw, if you're wife, girlfriend, flavor of the week, or whomever asks you to see Legally Blonde 2, run as far away as possible from this person!!! 1). Movie sucks & 2). PETA propaganda. I sat through that instead of shooting my new Max3000!!!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mjs
My propod still has the felt on it but I was still Super careful puting it on because of the paint issue. Probably won't use it for much more than pictures. On second thought that may be too much! Ha!

Pinwheel12
Thanks again.

Lung
My wife saw Blonde2 by herself. Howard Stern said it sucked too so I passed.

Everybody
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. All the info you've tossed back and forth really helped me make decisions. The best part is having you guys say how good my bow looks. It was a leap of faith and it really worked out. I'll keep you all posted on the performance.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: Nice

Double Lung 'Em said:
btw, if you're wife, girlfriend, flavor of the week, or whomever asks you to see Legally Blonde 2, run as far away as possible from this person!!! 1). Movie sucks & 2). PETA propaganda. I sat through that instead of shooting my new Max3000!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up:)

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
jbird, you stated earlier:

"Wish my wife felt the same way about hers. Ordered it for 24" AMO and it came in wrong. Now I find out that we are out of luck with the 24" AMO unless we short string it and over rotate the cams. Short stringing lessens the letoff and we were hoping for more letoff with the RP2 cams, not less. The 60% letoff hurts her shoulder. Guess I am going to have to sell hers and look to some other manufacturer to fit her. Unfortunate.
Jbird"

Don't take offense, but ...... I have been with Merlin bows for 5 years or so, and I have yet to see a single Merlin come in at the WRONG drawlength - -that is not being set AS ORDERED on AMO.

I have continuously told people on here to NEVER EVER use the limb tag on another bow to order AMO draw length, because the limb tags are almost ALWAYS wrong.

I have also told people numerous times that if they get the wrong draw length from Merlin, then it is most likely they furnished Merlin with bad information. Many people do NOT know how to measure for AMO draw length, or they do NOT know how to measure for TRUE DRAW (either can be given to Merlin and that is how the bow will be built) - -they ARE different things totally.

You mentioned your wife's shoulder bothers her at 60% letoff - - well that isn't MERLIN'S fault - - her shoulder will bother her at 60% letoff with any bow -- what I suspect the problem could be there :

1. She is OVERBOWED.
2. The drawing of the bow is NOT being accomplished by the used of back muscles and she is using shoulders, arms, forearms, wrists, and hands to muscle the bow back - -this WILL cause pain in the joints, and maybe even the lower back right above the beltline on the drawing side as well.
3. Back tension is probably not being utilized because somewhere the alignment is off and she is being forced to use the wrong muscles. It could be as simple as opening up or closing the stance slightly and then keeping that drawing shoulder DOWN. On this one, I should know - - because I've somehow slipped into the habit of throwing my drawing shoulder into the drawing of the bow and I twist my shoulders out of kilter to my hips which forces all the drawing to my bowarm and I PUSH everything and have little to no pull. I'm working on it, but the habit slipped in and its tough to break.

Now, as far as the 1/2" or so she needs in shorter draw length - - short stringing the bow that little teeny bit needed is NOT A BIG DEAL, and it won't kill the bow efficiencey. Crank the bow DOWN a little bit to get the holding weight she is used to, let her shoot for a few days, then crank the bow up halfway to where she wants peak to be, and then a few days later crank it up to the poundage she wants and she should be fine.

Too many people want to eat the entire elephant instead of taking it one bite at a time.

In the meantime, find out EXACTLY what AMO draw length she needs - - do NOT guess. Set the bow to THAT AMO draw length and mark the bow and write things down in a book so that error doesn't happen again. I mark my bow in the site window directly above the pivot point with a permanent marker. Then, I get the bow into the wall (not deeply), measure to that line and add 1.75" to that measurement for my AMO. The measurement to that line is the TRUE DRAW. You can order a bow either way, but you must be specific!

I'm personally mostly concerned when anyone says their shoulders bother them when they draw a bow (regardless of weight or letoff) -- that tells me that something is amuck with the TECHNIQUE that is being used, or the alignment, or both - - injury and pain take ALL the fun out of the game and I don't like seeing anyone shoot in pain.

But do NOT blame the letoff for this problem - - it isn't the BOW and it isn't the letoff, I strongly feel it is in the technique.

just my thoughts. PM me if you want and I will be glad to try to help you figure out what it is with that pain problem.

field14:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
How do you adjust draw length on a Max3000?

field14 said:
... Set the bow to THAT AMO draw length and mark the bow and write things down in a book so that error doesn't happen again...

I've has my Max3000 for a few weeks now (the red and silver looks stunning by the way Rolex24). It's such a revelation to shoot compared to the old piece of junk I was using. My scores are going up noticeably too, which is comforting having laid out all the cash!

When I ordered mine, we carefully measured the AMO draw length on my old bow and I tried the Max3000 at the same length (27") - it seemed fine. Now I am getting used to it, I have this nagging feeling that +0.5" or perhaps +1.0" might be more comfortable, but I can't figure out how to adjust the draw length on the R2 cams.

-Starfish-

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Field 14

Tom,
Thanks for all the great info. Would be nice if it was relevant to
my situation. I assure you that I know how to accurately measure AMO and TRUE draw length. I also know what my wifes
draw length is. And I hardly think that she is overdrawn at 40#.
By the way, the shoulder problem she has is in her bow shoulder, not her drawing shoulder and is aggrivated by too long of a draw length on the bow and a higher holding weight than she was after. I have the original order for the two bows and also the order for the Rapid Cam2's complete with factory strings and cables. After numerous emails back and forth confirming various measurements on the bow, Merlin put together a bow like hers with the same cams, modules, strings, and cables and confirmed that the configuration that they thought was 24" AMO was indeed providing a 24 1/2" AMO with the cams in the proper postition. That is where the short stringing was suggested which resulted in a 58% letoff which was what we were trying to get away from by changing to the Rapid 2's. My bow was also 1/2" over specs with the RP2's and modules I received but Kevin was nice enough to exchange modules with me for the next shorter size. This was not an option with Suzi's as she already was at the shortest cam and modules. Pardon me for complaining but since this was the third new Merlin I had ordered in the last year,
I expected to receive what I ordered and not have to settle for a bow with an over rotated cam to achieve the draw length I ordered. Not to mention that both of the Max 3000's were ordered with the short limbs and came in with the long limbs instead. Of course Merlin swapped her long limbs for short ones.
I am also smart enough to know when my problems are being met with an attitude of indifference. I have two PM's from recent Merlin purchasers on my computer who have had similar experiences. I am sure some of this is a result of the influx of orders they have experienced. But their attention to detail and dedication to customer satisfaction seems to have faded with their new found success.
Jbird

·
Registered
436 Posts
J Bird
I to have a problem with my Merlin S/N. I wrote to Merlin & they had me write to Larry Wise. This MAN IS ONE SMART DUDE. He had me do thing & switch things around that helped out great. But im not totaly happy.
Larry thinks My next move is to BUY new limb(s) to try to fix the differance in my limb deflection. My bow is only about 1 yr old & I have had this problem from day one. I to think there service is sliping, When I had my old Nova (GREAT BOW) they were 110% going out of there way to help.
Not 100% happy with there State of the art LIMBS that came with a 3/16 differance in limb deflection
The Buck

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
JBird
I read your thread about your Max3000 and they are indeed beautiful bows! Which limbs dd you get, carbon or glass? I want to respond to the comment about the Hunter's Quest for your wife. I do not recommend this bow for a woman (as I am) or anybody with "small" hands. I own one of the 31 axle to axle and love the speeds but I hate the grip on it! It doesn't compare to the Max grip at all (I used to shoot a Max2000) A friend bought the HQ 35 ax to ax for his grandaughter in the 24 inch draw and it was fast, but has that same wide, hard to handle grip. If Merlin would fix that grip to their slim one it would be an awesome bow. Good luck on your new bow purchase. I hope you enjoy it and I hope your wife gets her problems fixed. I love my Hoyt Sapphire but plan to buy a new Ultratech because I love the one curs1 has.
By the way, Kevin is a great guy and has been very helpful to us! Kudos to him.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Limbs

Canam
Our two Max 3000's and my Super Nova have the Carbon limbs and the Legend has glass limbs.
Jbird

Buck
If they won't make the limbs right for you at Merlin and you are faced with purchasing new limbs, I would replace them with the
new Barnsdale double recurve limbs. Dave has a long standing reputation for making the best limbs available and the new Zebrawood and Birdseye maple laminated limbs are beautiful.

Jbird

1 - 20 of 38 Posts