Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Maxima Hunter 350 arrows with a length of 27.5". I'm firing them from a Bowtech Defender, 30" @63lbs. with a Double STS, and a Trophy Ridge Drop Away rest. I'm using 125 grain field tips/ Slick Trick broadheads.
My bow guy is saying that the rear of the arrow will be "squirrely" as it heads down range...does anyone know of this? I really want to use the blazer vanes, but will switch to the regular 3-4" vanes if necessary. Can't afford to have a crooked flight pattern....

·
Archery Addict
5,653 Posts
Read my sig. i have no problems at all.I think your bow guy might do a little of this :darkbeer: LOL.............

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The 350s might be a little overspined for that setup...might make them a little squirrely. 250s would be a better choice.
To clarify...you are shooting a 27.5" arrow at 30" DL?

I am not 100% positive they will be overspined, just what I remember in researching the 350s they were very much on the stiff side, and even at 30", 63lbs seems light for them. I'll check it out in OnTarget and see.

A better question is why does your shop guy think they will be "squirrely"?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BowhunterNJ said:
The 350s might be a little overspined for that setup...might make them a little squirrely. 250s would be a better choice.
To clarify...you are shooting a 27.5" arrow at 30" DL?

I am not 100% positive they will be overspined, just what I remember in researching the 350s they were very much on the stiff side, and even at 30", 63lbs seems light for them. I'll check it out in OnTarget and see.

A better question is why does your shop guy think they will be "squirrely"?
I'm pretty sure I'm shooting a 30" DL. I know my arrows are 27.5"...does that make sense?? Maybe I don't know my draw length..I do know that everything else is correct though. I haven't shot these arrows yet, with the Blazers...I had told him to fletch one arrow and let me shoot it...then I'll decide if that is what I want...I don't know why he thinks that it is squirrely..this feller knows his stuff pretty good and he hasn't led me stray yet, but when I hear so many good things about Blazers and he says that they are not that great, I was puzzled...hopefully you guys can give me some light on this...I've gotten until 1500 central time today to decide what I'm going to do..

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I use Blazers with Helical fletch and they shoot great on arrows from 29" Lightspeed 500 with 80 gr points to 29" CXL 150 with 100gr BH's to 29" Easton Excel 400 with 100 gr BH to 31" Easton 2613 with 250 Gr field points.

I use a dropaway rest with NO fletching contact and set to give bullet holes with bare shaft. No flight problems at all. Muzzy BH's and Field Points group as close as I can shoot

I ran your setup thru TAP and it looks OK to me . I have assumed that you are using a release since you are using a dropaway rest. TAP show this combo at the top end of the GREEN band so It should work well IF there is no fletching contact a nd if you do not Torque the bow.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
poundage

If You turn up the poundage they should fly straighter for you......even if its 3-4 lbs.....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poundage

If I turn up the poundage, just a few pounds, will I have to re-sight my pins, even for that small amount? Or will it be so insignificant of a change that I won't have too?

·
Pond Creek Assassin
1,407 Posts
I shoot 250s with 2" blazers at 27 1/4" / 60lb Tribute and they fly awesome. Recently switched from the 350's because the 350s did fly a little squirrely. They would probably be a little overspined for your setup. I would try the 250s.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KYBowhunter said:
I shoot 250s with 2" blazers at 27 1/4" / 60lb Tribute and they fly awesome. Recently switched from the 350's because the 350s did fly a little squirrely. They would probably be a little overspined for your setup. I would try the 250s.
Should've asked you guys before I ordered them...:confused: I guess I will have to try and see

·
Registered
94 Posts
Brother I think he is full of it. I shoot a Matthews Outback pulling 60lbs. I have a single STS. I shoot the Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350 with a 100 gr field tip. It flies just fine. No problem here at all.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
arrow

WoodyH28 said:
If I turn up the poundage, just a few pounds, will I have to re-sight my pins, even for that small amount? Or will it be so insignificant of a change that I won't have too?
The arrow will hit a Little lower I bet and maybe an inch right.......not much of a change.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
blazers

Are you shooting a different color cock blazer, if so it maybe an illusion. when I shoot that way I can see it everytime. try all three blazers the same color.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts