Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 26 dl, should the maxima red, blue, and blue select be cut that short? Will it defeat the design? Looking into the 250 of each. Thanks

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,800 Posts
We would need more information such as your bow and poundage. I suggest running your numbers through an arrow program like TAP/OT2 (pinwheelsoftware.com, free trial available).

·
Registered
455 Posts
PM sent. Check your notifications in the top right.

·
Registered
455 Posts
PM me back all of your info. Bow, poundage, etc. and I'll run it through Archers Advantage shaft selector software this evening. 26 inch draw, but we need more info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I shoot the Bowtech Assassin at 58 #s. I'm pretty sure the 250's have the correct spine I need. I use slick trick 125 mags to hunt. Though am considering the 150's. Have read that if you cut the red below 27 it is basically the same as a maxima hunter due to cutting to much of the front end off. Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Cool. I'll run the numbers anyway and see what I come up with. I'll also check other shafts for a better FOC.

·
Registered
19,794 Posts
Don't buy into the marketing of those shafts. I shoot Maxima Hunters but not because of the mythical "dual spine, weight forward" technology. There is no dual spine and there is no weight forward. It's been tested and debunked. Cut them as short as you want as long as you're spined correctly and you'll be fine. Here's a link to a thread about it from 3 years ago. Watch the video and then decide for yourself. Personally I don't care how they market them. I think they are good arrows but just not for reasons they explain on the box.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1553590

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you guys can't tell already I am still learning and new to all this. The charts say I need a spine from 380 to 4 something, if I cut a 350 spine down to 26 does that actually increase its spine strength?

·
Registered
911 Posts
you need the 250s, which are the same as everyone elses .400 spine shafts.

the 350s are actually .340 shafts.

as mentioned, carbon express marketing crap, such as "dual spine" and "weight forward" are just that, marketing crap. they are completely fictitious. that does not mean they are bad arrows, quite the contrary actually. the Carbon express Blues are very good arrows. i have heard some things about the Reds going both ways.

if it were me, i would either get the Blues, or get another arrow altogether. i personally shoot Beman shafts, but any of the big brands are just fine. dont get all hung up on specs, just make sure they are proper spine at your length. SPINE is most important, and you can pretty much forget straightness specs when considering carbon arrows. as long as they are of industry standard .006, you wont/cant tell a difference in accuracy. straightness is just not that important.

·
Registered
911 Posts
and yes, cutting a .340 arrow down to 26" will create a stiffer arrow, and be quite over spined. the bow will probably shoot the over spined arrows pretty well though, as shooting over spined is generally of little consequence. shooting to light of a spine is when problems tend to arise.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Don't buy into the marketing of those shafts. I shoot Maxima Hunters but not because of the mythical "dual spine, weight forward" technology. There is no dual spine and there is no weight forward. It's been tested and debunked. Cut them as short as you want as long as you're spined correctly and you'll be fine. Here's a link to a thread about it from 3 years ago. Watch the video and then decide for yourself. Personally I don't care how they market them. I think they are good arrows but just not for reasons they explain on the box.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1553590
It's a marketing hype that is a total lie. I don't care how good the arrows are, I'm not giving my business to a company that uses snake oil marketing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the all the help and links. I need a spine between 380 and 420. I plan on using 125 gr bh, so with that short (26) of a length, out of a 58#, what would you all suggest? I contacted CE and he said the reds would not be good, to go w/ the blue. I'm open to all arrow choices but would like to have a finished weight over 400, if not over 425.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I've spoken with our rep and their spec is 1" longer than draw length, for proper flex/tune of the shaft while shootin'. That's a suggestion, based on draw weight/length/cam design. Shortening will stiffen the spine, just as lengthening would soften the spine. Adding more weight to the tip increases FOC (front of center balance point) of the shaft. It's all still related to tuning and how the shaft shoots for "you". I usually experiment with different shafts lengths and tip weights as every shaft is different. A small diameter/thicker wall shaft will tune differently than a larger diameter shaft. It's relative to your confidence, and if you believe any of the formulas, you'll be happy with the result.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

·
Registered
19,794 Posts
Thanks for the all the help and links. I need a spine between 380 and 420. I plan on using 125 gr bh, so with that short (26) of a length, out of a 58#, what would you all suggest? I contacted CE and he said the reds would not be good, to go w/ the blue. I'm open to all arrow choices but would like to have a finished weight over 400, if not over 425.
You won't get anywhere near 400 with the Blue Streaks. Maybe with Easton Axis 400s. The 250 (actual spine deflection of .417) Blue streaks are 7.4gpi. 26 x 7.4 = 192.4. Add 125 for your point and 40ish for fletching nock and insert and your still only at 357gr. If you want an arrow that short, to weigh over 400, you need a heavier gpi arrow or you could use a stiffer spine and get a weighted insert. Something like a 340 spine with a 125gr point and a 75gr insert would hit like a truck and fly really well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leaning towards the CE 250 Piledriver or the Easton Axis FMJ. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Black Eagle Carivores, or gold tips as mentioned above. Thats what I would use. I shoot Black Eagle Challengers with a 60 pound bow and 400 spine shafts cut 27 inches. 100 grains up front, total arrow weight of 318 grains and 12% FOC. Cronos right at 280 fps. You'll be fine with a 400 spine shaft but cutting it down (making it stiffer) where you want it to be at will require a heavyer tip to help break the spine down some and give you good FOC. I'll run some numbers for you. Dont get me wrong. I shoot Carbon Express arrows, but there are better and more tunable arrows out there. Eastons are nice, and so are the Bemans.

One question. What is the reasoning for the 400 Grain arrow weight? If your hunting, then yes. I would say get as close as you can to it, but if not, a total 350 grain or less will work.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just dont go less than your poundage times 5 for total arrow weight and have the correct spine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found a dozen CE piledriver hunters 250 in the box new for 75. Decided the deal was worth a shot. At 10.4 gpi, 26 dl, fletching etc gr, plus 125 broad head, I should be around 435. Still kinda light but for deer but I hear this is fine. Thanks for all the help. The forum is great and I have a lot to learn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts