Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throwing this out to get a few opinions. I shoot CX Maxima 250s at the moment out of my Marquis. They shoot great and i have no complaints. Thinking ahead to this fall for whitetails and am considering using Maxima Hunter 250s to get more FOC and weight forward. Looking at the specs below do you think I will have to make large changes to my set-up? I realize point of impact willl change some do to more arrow weight, but will this be a major change in spine? Arrows will be the same length as the ones I am currently using.

Maxima 250 - 7.3 gpi, .404 spine, .289 dia.
Maxima Hunter 250 - 8.0 gpi, .417 spine, .295 dia.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Z-Rider

·
Registered
501 Posts
from what I know the Hunters are over spined because they did not take the stifness of the camo coting into the spine. with the 250's you should be fine. I shoot the 350's at 70# with 29in draw and they are a little stiff.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I shoot the 250 maxia also @26.5 inches. I think the hunter is BS. FOC can be changed a longer feild point, or broad head. I think FOC should be Around 10% or less for 3D shooting, and 10-15% for hunting. I tried less 10% for hunting but didn't work for me

·
Registered
607 Posts
Difference between Maxima and Maxima Hunter

Throwing this out to get a few opinions. I shoot CX Maxima 250s at the moment out of my Marquis. They shoot great and i have no complaints. Thinking ahead to this fall for whitetails and am considering using Maxima Hunter 250s to get more FOC and weight forward. Looking at the specs below do you think I will have to make large changes to my set-up? I realize point of impact willl change some do to more arrow weight, but will this be a major change in spine? Arrows will be the same length as the ones I am currently using.

Maxima 250 - 7.3 gpi, .404 spine, .289 dia.
Maxima Hunter 250 - 8.0 gpi, .417 spine, .295 dia.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Z-Rider
Hello
The Maxima Hunters don't offer any weight forward, you can prove it by taking a raw shaft (no nocks or inserts) and see where it balances. You will find its essentilly dead center, no weight forward. So why does it work??
The spine is different from front to back. The front 60% of the arrow has approx. .020" LESS spine than the rear portion. The Hunter is LESS stiff than the Maxima. The imbalance of spine causes the arrow flex at launch to damp faster than an arrow with the same spine front to rear. This produces and arrow that flys straight very quickly. This reduces the steering errors created by the broadhead. So the answer is the arrow works, but not from weight forward. If you have doubts, measure the arrows balance point yourself. I have a spine tester and have verified my spine results. I have also contacted Carbon Express, they agree with my measurements and the reason the arrow works so well. I hope this helps all you folks that use or want to use these arrows.
oldbuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.