971 Posts
110y for training

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Depends on the animal!!!

Whitetail from a treestand... 30yds Hog from a tree or ground...30yds
Antelope in the open range... 40yds Elk in the woods...50yds

Depends on animal and the size of the vitals !!!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
200yrds for a fun compitition ...Battle Klout

Never further than 25 yrds for any game animal .....
Bowhunting is about seeing how close you can get ....

Tree Rat at 48 yrds one day
Gopher at 31 yrds

·
Registered
838 Posts
my range is 45 yds just shot a fallow buck and doe one was 43 the other 40 shot a ram at 45 fell over on the spot

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Normally I stay within 50 yards even with a range finder, but I did kill a 6 X 6 300+ bull Elk at 84 yards. He ran 60 yards before he piled up. I also killed a whitetail buck at 83 yards. He didn't make it 50 yards, and no I didn't wound a couple dozen trying to kill them:rolleyes: Like I said I limit my shots any more to 50 yards and in, and that is only if conditions are right for the shot. There are times conditions are not right even when the deer is 20 yards away. The key is knowing the difference:)

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
I can practice out to 60yds. or so, but honestly wouldn't shoot at a deer or other animal unless it's 40yds. or closer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
meanv2 said:
Normally I stay within 50 yards even with a range finder, but I did kill a 6 X 6 300+ bull Elk at 84 yards. He ran 60 yards before he piled up. I also killed a whitetail buck at 83 yards. He didn't make it 50 yards, and no I didn't wound a couple dozen trying to kill them:rolleyes: Like I said I limit my shots any more to 50 yards and in, and that is only if conditions are right for the shot. There are times conditions are not right even when the deer is 20 yards away. The key is knowing the difference:)
Very well said, although I dont think I personally would take any 80 yd shots(dont think I am quite that good:embara: ), I have done a few pushing 70. I call 50 max but take every situation in to its own account.
Dan

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
DanDaMan said:
Very well said, although I dont think I personally would take any 80 yd shots(dont think I am quite that good:embara: ), I have done a few pushing 70. I call 50 max but take every situation in to its own account.
Dan
I agree with you and don't think I am all that either, but I had been moving on that elk for over 3 hours and the wind was starting to switch:) I had been shooting in camp everyday at 80 yards, It was wide open and man He looked as big as my Pickup Truck standing out there. Really 50 yards and in is not that hard of a shot with a range finder for an experienced archer as long as he knows when and when not to take that shot.

I have had a lot of Big Bucks within 50 yards of me, but conditions were that I could not get a shot. Funny thing the year I shot the 300+ Bull at 84 yards. I came home and killed a 150+ class Whitetail at 3 yards. That was the hard shot:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
meanv2, I hear ya. It would really be tough to watch a 300 class walk away after a 3 hr stalk. When I am in camp, I blow the other guys away when I walk out in the field with the yellow jacket and tell them to range me and yell out when I hit 90 yds. Then I step back and slam arrows into the pie plate I stuck on the target. They always ask me, why do you practice that far. I always tell them, how hard do you think 30 and 40 is after slinging arrows at 90yds. If you are confident in your shot, then why not. I have shot deer at 60yds I was just as confident in as I am when shooting one at 30yds.
Dan

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I was assuming this was a target shooting thread, being it was posted in the general forum.

If you are asking about hunting distances, my answer would be that I rarely have to shoot farther than 20 yards, but regularly practice on 3D targets out to 70.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I practice for FITA at 90M and routinely shoot 60 yards. But, on my hunting bow my maximum pin is 40 yards. In Ohio, terrian is a very limiting factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I useually practice out to 60 yards with my bow, but when it comes to hunting I stay within 40 yards as my max yardage. Practicing at longer ranges makes it easier to make those closer shoots

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
When shooting an outdoor FITA 90m or roughly 99yds. I practice at 50 most of the time behind the house, unless I am at the range.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I shot a yearling doe through both lungs at 42 yards with my Thunderhorn R/D longbow a couple of years ago shooting instinctively.

The entrance hole was about 5 inches above the exit hole.....the shot was on level ground.

Talk about trajectory!!

Today with my Bowtech Equalizer..........I am proficient out to 60 yards on a 8" kill zone if the conditions are PERFECT.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
preyquester said:
can see it ,will shoot it...........
You mean you gotta See'um to Shoot at'um
Shoot at'um to Hit'um
and Hit'um to Get'um?:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts