Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions please:
I shoot @ 27.5 inches, so I need to get the smaller #2 cams.
I'm worried about this because last year I shot the AlphaMax 70# and had a tough time holding it at full draw. (Not due to draw weight, but possibly due to lower let-off % and valley considerations.) By comparison, both the Admiral (70#) and my Justice (80#) seemed easy to hold @ full draw.

1.) VALLEY?
I've heard the #2 cams have less valley than the #3, but have also heard you can remove the draw stop peg to get a little extra. Anyone done this, and if so does this give you a "rubbery spongy feel" at full draw. Also, how much of a difference does it make?

2.) HOWS THE VALLEY & DRAW ON YOUR BOW?
I presently have an Admiral 70#. Contrary to some, I don't think the draw is overly harsh. (One of the things I DO like about the Admiral is that it does have a pronounced valley with a firm wall.)

3.) TORQUE ISSUES & FORGIVENESS?
Is the bow touchy? (Do the rollers create any torque issues in comparison with the 2009 AlphaMax?) In the woods, forgiveness is everything in my book. I had bought the Admiral thinking it would be an upgrade to my 04 B/T Justice 80# for this very reason. But in doing so, I've taken a step backwards in shooting proficiency & confidence. Is this a bow you can just grab & shoot without thinking too much about form?

4.) GRIP RECOMMENDATION FOR HUNTING?
Again, torque and forgiveness are the focus here. I've always liked the feel of side plates on the previous Hoyt bows, and know they are still an option. (I have never actually owned a Hoyt though, but my girlfriend shoots one.)

Note: Even though a thinner grip is supposed to work better (like the side plates)... I've also heard that a grip without a nose can be harder to shoot due to additional knuckle contact on the risers.

I just want to get back to "shooting like I know I can." I was even contemplating the Mathews Z7 for it's speed and single cam setup, but don't like the extra true weight.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Go to a hoyt dealer

Best thing to do is shoot it they way it fits you at the shop.

I personaly think the bow is the best I shot! It has a smooth pull and NO, I mean NO hand shock,]. This is a true hunting bow and there are many bows faster but feel this is a Big buck hunters dream with the smooth draw....

Go to a shop and put 25 arrows through it setup for you.

If you need a special set draw you better call around and see if a hoyt dealer has one or shoot it at 28" with no D-loop, put it right on the string and try that.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Its not so much the cam size as it is the module size- the D & E modules- regardless of which cam size they are on, store alot of energy and have a very narrow valley- the smaller mods (A, B, C) are not "wound so tight".

Binary cams (and solos to a certain extent) tend to hold "easier" - you can relax at full draw on most of them(and they often have an adjustable draw stop too). Some people like that, as they feel more in control of the entire shot process, and some people don't because they feel the cam design doesn't keep them honest/allows them to get sloppy with form because there is much less tension.

It is what it is, and no C.5/Hybrid/CPS is going to feel like a Binary because of the way they are tied (or not) to a limb and each other- although there has been some talk about Kevins new design breaking some ground in this regard...IDK if its true or not.

If you really want a nicer holding valley in a hybrid style cam-check out the PSE Vendettas, and anything with Hoyts Z3 or C.5+ cams.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not so much the cam size as it is the module size- the D & E modules- regardless of which cam size they are on, store alot of energy and have a very narrow valley- the smaller mods (A, B, C) are not "wound so tight".

Binary cams (and solos to a certain extent) tend to hold "easier" - you can relax at full draw on most of them(and they often have an adjustable draw stop too). Some people like that, as they feel more in control of the entire shot process, and some people don't because they feel the cam design doesn't keep them honest/allows them to get sloppy with form because there is much less tension.

It is what it is, and no C.5/Hybrid/CPS is going to feel like a Binary because of the way they are tied (or not) to a limb and each other- although there has been some talk about Kevins new design breaking some ground in this regard...IDK if its true or not.

If you really want a nicer holding valley in a hybrid style cam-check out the PSE Vendettas, and anything with Hoyts Z3 or C.5+ cams.
Kevin's new design - What & where is this?
Also, smaller mods? (A/B/C) - How can/do these fit in to 27.5 draw?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As far as your first question about the draw stop goes..........I was messing with this on my AM32 the other day. The little washer that sits in between the body of the cam and the draw stop likes to make a little vibrating noise on mine and I was just seeing what the draw would feel like without the stop. There is definitely more "play" at full draw without the stop. Then again, I am used to having that draw stop in there and with that draw stop, it is ROCK solid at full draw. With my old bow (Parker Hunter Mag), I had a bit of a problem with creeping at full draw. When I got my AM32, I quickly got out of that habit because of that solid wall.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as your first question about the draw stop goes..........I was messing with this on my AM32 the other day. The little washer that sits in between the body of the cam and the draw stop likes to make a little vibrating noise on mine and I was just seeing what the draw would feel like without the stop. There is definitely more "play" at full draw without the stop. Then again, I am used to having that draw stop in there and with that draw stop, it is ROCK solid at full draw. With my old bow (Parker Hunter Mag), I had a bit of a problem with creeping at full draw. When I got my AM32, I quickly got out of that habit because of that solid wall.
When you say "more play" do you mean the valley is deeper, or does it loose some of it's "ROCK solid feel?" (spongy and vague like the limbs don't fully bottom out at full draw?)

I like rock solid. I just don't like it right on the edge. I worry about keeping @ full draw and I would rather just concentrate on the deer and making the good shot. Also, what is your draw lenght, and what # cams do you have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts