Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having to reduce my bow poundage I have been shooting a 400grn carbon arrows at 245fps. Today I found a box of old 2314 arrows and just for kicks I ran some through the chrono and they ran 230fps.
I have been a little concerned about good penetration since reducing my poundage and have been thinking maybe switching back to aluminums next year. I ran the numbers through an online calculator and my carbons have an energy of 53 foot lbs and a momentum of .434, the aluminums are 58 and .510 respectively. I am just wondering if those numbers are enough that switching to aluminums would make a difference with expandable broadheads.
My shots stay at 30yds or less so 230fps really shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
You would be much better off running a stiffer spine carbon with added tip weight or increasing your tip wieght now and adding the increased foc.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not knowing what shaft and spine your useing, I would say see if you can install some insert weights that will bring up your foc and ke and momentum.

May have too cut the shaft shorter but you could save money this way.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would be much better off running a stiffer spine carbon with added tip weight or increasing your tip wieght now and adding the increased foc.
I might try that, I have stiffer carbons from when I shot heavier poundages. But I do have a half a dozen new 2314 in a box I found.

·
When's bow season start?
8,927 Posts
I might try that, I have stiffer carbons from when I shot heavier poundages. But I do have a half a dozen new 2314 in a box I found.
I shot XX78 2314's last year and XX75 2213's this season. My bow is a 2011 PSE Dream Season Evo- 60# @ 27.5" draw.

I'll be honest up front and say that I prefer aluminums for many reasons. But I did shoot carbons for years, weighing from 365 to 400 grains. I never achieved consistent penetration and pass-thrus like I did with aluminums so a few years ago I switched back.

You are going to get a lot of naysayers telling you that you are making a mistake. My suggestion is try those 2314's and see how they shoot. I'm betting you will be pleased.

·
Leggo My Eggo
3,914 Posts
I shot aluminums for 4 or 5 yrs and had good luck with them but this year went back to Gold Tips Valkyries with 100gr of screw-in weights to get some FOC along with the extra arrow weight.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I shot XX78 2314's last year and XX75 2213's this season. My bow is a 2011 PSE Dream Season Evo- 60# @ 27.5" draw.

I'll be honest up front and say that I prefer aluminums for many reasons. But I did shoot carbons for years, weighing from 365 to 400 grains. I never achieved consistent penetration and pass-thrus like I did with aluminums so a few years ago I switched back.

You are going to get a lot of naysayers telling you that you are making a mistake. My suggestion is try those 2314's and see how they shoot. I'm betting you will be pleased.
I'm in this camp.
For a 30yd whitetail, the difference between .43 and .51 is significant.
High FOC is overrated, imo... compared to total arrow weight.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I personally think you should go with carbons and add a heavy insert. I'm shooting a 28" GT Hunter w/ 100gr inserts and FPs/BHs. The arrow weighs in at 480gr shooting around 240fps with a 28" draw length from a 62lb Elite Synergy. I do not see why you would go with aluminum arrows when you can use carbon and get the weight up just the same, and not have to worry about the arrow bending. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
i don't see this as a question, personally, of aluminum vs. carbon/composite. The stiffest lightest arrow will be the best alternative and have a higher KE if it is faster...just find a setup that works for you and go with it...

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
That'll definitely work........it's just the much better off part I don't agree with. If he has both he can weigh the pro's & con's but the difference in the field will be non-existent.

I have tried high FOC Carbons and I have shot low, med & high FOC aluminums as well. IMHO 95% of what you get is based on weight. If you have a 425 grain high FOC carbon it will not out penetrate a low FOC 500 grain aluminum arrow..........I have tried that many times.

Now granted if you have a 500 grain carbon with high FOC you will do even better but again it's not going to be super evident compared to a med FOC 500 grain arrow. You would have to kill many many animals and compile a lot of data just to draw a conclusion because the other factors would make it hard to determine.

A 2314 can range form 475 to 525 for my 27.5 inch arrows depending on vanes, feathers point weight etc........so if you choose to shoot them you will get better penetration and you'll see the difference over the 400 grain arrow right away. Many people here switch form a 100 grain point to a 125 and then expect to see a difference and you just don't..........but 75 - 100 grains you WILL see a difference I promise.

OP my bows shoot around 235 -240 depending on the arrow and they do very well.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
i don't see this as a question, personally, of aluminum vs. carbon/composite. The stiffest lightest arrow will be the best alternative and have a higher KE if it is faster...just find a setup that works for you and go with it...
Not correct at all. KE is the wrong way to measure penetration. If that were true his 400 grain arrows would penetrate better because they are faster and with less FOC have more spine.

Many people misunderstand KE and for good reason......it's not just you.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts

What was the weight difference between your aluminum and your carbon shafts?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Op.
The heavier arrow will be better. Doesn’t matter what material it’s made out of. Don’t know what size mechanical you’re shooting but Anarchy and Ramcat can both give you 1 1/2” of cut and will penetrate a lot better than the mechanicals.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I wasn't trying to be exhaustive in my explanation and may have worded it poorly, but I do understand KE, MO, etc. as they taught us that stuff back in engineering school...the point is that there is a balance between weight, speed, and resistance...and unless the arrow is flexing at contact and absorbing energy, all things being equal, the narrower shaft going faster SHOULD be better at penetrating. My point was that you could get a heavier carbon arrow and have a higher KE/MO, the aluminum in it of itself isn't the issue it is weight, speed, and resistance...hope that helps...the only way to tell is to shoot different setups side by side and see how they penetrate in a standard medium...there are so many factors in play on a live animal that you can get a false positive...
Not correct at all. KE is the wrong way to measure penetration. If that were true his 400 grain arrows would penetrate better because they are faster and with less FOC have more spine.

Many people misunderstand KE and for good reason......it's not just you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts