Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching several single pin sights and the Montana Black Gold Ascent Verdict looks like a great sight. One thing that is puzzling to me,I know it goes off the speed of your arrow to choose sight tape but how does it calculate that for every setup? Maybe I am just over thinking this but I can't see how this would work. Wouldn't the weight of the arrow make a difference, say I shoot 300 fps but my buddy shoots 300 fps also, how could our sight tapes be the same if he is shooting a 75 grain heavier arrow than I am for example? Somebody help clear this up for me...lol, it's got my brain in knots right now.

·
3%er
3,635 Posts
I basicly put a blank tape on mine then shot it in at 20, 30 and 40. Made a mark at each range when I was sure I had each range set. Shot bow thru chrono, but used a tape that was 20 fps faster to match my marks on the blank tape. I cant practice past 40 where I live. Some day I may try the longer settings somewhere to see if the marked settings are correct, but where I hunt 30 is a long shot. I leave my pin set at 20 and if I need to adjust I know my holdovers. Killed 2 deer this year, a buck at 24 yds and a doe at 14 yards. I set the sight where the top of the slider matches the framework on the top of the sight. For 20 I had to adjust pin just a little ways.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have two MBG single pin sights and after averaging out 20 shots with my chronograph I applied the tape based on that average and I shot out to 100 yards pretty much spot on. As far as different weight arrows if your buddy shoots 25 grains more than you and both hit 300 fps, my guess is your arrow would shoot faster out of his bow and use a different tape. The increments are 2-5 fps for the different tapes. I am no engineer so take what I am saying with a grain of salt, just trying put some thoughts out there.

·
Mark
5,414 Posts
I have two MBG single pin sights and after averaging out 20 shots with my chronograph I applied the tape based on that average and I shot out to 100 yards pretty much spot on. As far as different weight arrows if your buddy shoots 25 grains more than you and both hit 300 fps, my guess is your arrow would shoot faster out of his bow and use a different tape. The increments are 2-5 fps for the different tapes. I am no engineer so take what I am saying with a grain of salt, just trying put some thoughts out there.
I agree with this. Mine came with bunch of tapes and you can switch tapes after shooting and fine tuning.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The FPS rating is just a guide, nothing more. All sight tapes go of arrow trajectory. They will work in yards or meters(which i use here in Aust)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a MBG Ascent, a little older than Verdict. The tapes work great for me. I found them to be more accurate than my HHA tapes.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes the weight makes a difference. But so does the velocity as well as peep height. Distance from peep to arrow. Distance from peep to pin. All of these things can change your tape.

The best way I’ve found for me is electric tape across the top of target. Start at 20. Mark your blank tape on your sight then step out as far as comfortable then shoot that mark in. With marks of say 20 and 60 find the corresponding tape. Done!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tapes setup based on speed alone may or may not be super accurate for your setup. Weight, in principle doesn't matter because gravity acts on all objects the same, 9.8 m/s^2. In the case of an arrow, there are some variables the prevent it from being a true basic newtonian problem; weight distribution, vanes, etc. It's kind of like the old riddle of what falls faster a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers.

I find using two or three known marks is the easiest way to get an accurate tape.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input, as I researched single pin sights I came across the MGB and someone had noted that they placed the tape on according to their speed only and it matched up exactly all the way out to 100 yards. I guess he just got lucky. It makes more sense to me now that I have read your comments to shoot and dial in different yardages and then install the matching tape. Thanks again for the replies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts