Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, this is my first post here, so I thought I'd say hello to everyone. There may be a few of you that already know me from other archery and hunting forums.

Now to the question. I'm in the market for a new hunting sight and recently started looking at the new Montana Black Gold Dusk Devil. Normally I'd just go to a local shop and check them out, but the local archery shops (at least the ones I'm willing to patronize) don't carry Montana Black Gold products, so all I've been able to find out so far is what MBG's website says.

So, has anyone tried the Dusk Devil and what is your opinion of it?

The two main things that I'm concerned about is durability and brightness, because it will be used for hunting. I know MBG products are known to be pretty durable, but the design of the Dusk Devil pins kinda has me wondering about their strength (it seems to me they would snap pretty easily, but what do I know). And of course the pins need to be extremely bright for hunting those last few moments of daylight.

As of right now, I'm considering the Dusk Devil and the Copper John Dead Nuts. I already know the quality of the Dead Nuts, so I'm wondering if the Dusk Devil is better, worse, or about the same.

All comments and suggestions are welcomed, and you can certainly recommend another sight if you feel I'm overlooking a good one. I will warn you though, I don't like vertical pins or having to use a light to see the pins, so you probably won't have too much luck convincing me to buy a Trophy Ridge or any sight that needs a light to see the pins, but of course you can always try :D

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It is a good sight but if you are going to be hunting in any kind of thick brush just remember its plastic. I would buy a copper john all aluminum. I use the dusk devil and I would trade it for a copper john any day . Havoc JMO

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a Dusk Devil on my LX and love it. Have never had a durability problem with any MBG products and this one is as durable as any of the others. It will be on my bow when I hit the woods this fall.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Im not saying that the sight isnt good I had failure with the pin guard . I called MBG and had a replacement free of charge in 3 days . IMO they have excellent customer service and do make a excellent product ,Im just a little ruff on stuff I guess LOL

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Copper John is a great sight even though it is all aluminum the fiber optics are easily busted off if going through thick brush where as the MBG is a little more durable in that dept. Also the MBG has a lifetime warranty on all parts including pins. Both are great sights pick the one that you think will be best for you type of hunting. I've never checked them side bt side but they should have about the same amount of brightness in the pins.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I own a Dusk devil sight and a am more then pleased with it. It is as durrable as they come. I can not say the Cooper is bad, because I have not used it, but I CAN say that the MBG DD is GREAT. I am known in my family to be the one who researches everything before I buy things, spending countless hours on the internet and going to shows. The sight I had previous to the Dusk Devil was also a MBG, so maybe I was alittle predisposed to buy anotherone due to my good experience with the first.

When I bought my Dusk Devil, I ordered it with the micro pins because I like to be more precise, and I feel I can do that by having the micro pins. The normal brightness of the pins is very good, but I did also by one of thie new (blue)lights which makes the pin brighter then what normal sunlight even can.

If you decide to go with a MBG DD you will not be unhappy with you decition.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sights

Got a Copper John Dead Nuts new in the box on a trade and had it on by bow for all of about 20 shots. Very solid construction but the pins (the .29 size), in my opinion, did not pick up much light when shooting in the shadow of a tree in broad daylight. I had a heck of a time picking up the pins visually. Also, after having a "no tools" sight for several years, I was not too keen on having to grab allen wrenches for every minor adjustment. Traded it for a new Matrix and so far so good. The set up is easy and adjustments can be made without the need for tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts