Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I must be officially hooked...

I have just committed to buying my second bow!

For those of you that haven't read my first few posts I am getting back into archery after 12 years away from it. I will be trying my hand at most of the target type settings to decide which one(s) I like the best.

The first bow I got was the Mathews Icon and I just paid for a nice used Mathews Conquest 3. I will have to play with things but so far I think I will keep the Icon set up with "hunter class" eqipment and set the Conquest up with a 28 inch Posten front stab, the V block and 10 in rear stabs, and a Sword Titan sight/ scope.

I hope I will be comfortable enough to compete in "open" classes indoor this year as I like the idea of shooting the C3 with the long setup a LOT better for spots... but we will see.

The biggest thing I still have to decide on for the C3 setup is a 65 or 80% letoff on the cam I will be buying to adjust to my draw length. I am leaning toward 65%.

Any thoughts on either of these setups?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to seeing some of you guys at shoots in the MD area.

· Registered
2,424 Posts
The mini max cam system is by far the best way to shoot a C3 if your draw is 29" or less... The wall has less sponge than the 65% max cam setup(alomst no sponge at all with the mini max)(mini max is only avaliable in 65%) I have had some good results with the mini max cam over the last few years and mine are on a C3 too and it just seems to be an all around good setup as I have shot field FITA and 3D with the same bow

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
X Hunter...

Thanks for the reply... Good information. I was under the impression that the mini max cams were the ones that you could change from 65% to 80% etc. From what I gather then ... I have no choice as my draw is only 27 inches. Sounds like a 65% Mini Max is it!

Any other thoughts or pointers for setting up and shooting the C3?

Thanks Again!

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ode

Not yet...

I am still waiting for the Icon to get finished at Bowhunters Den. Once that is done this week I am sure I will join Mayberry so I can shoot there. It's just up the street.

Are you a member there? Or do you know anybody there I should talk to for information about the club and shooting in general?

Good to see so many people on here from so close by.

Thanks!

· Administrator
65,646 Posts
You'll be fine in freestyle.. I started out there, as a field/competitive archery newbie and have not looked back, even though I'm a die hard bowhunter. Besides.. we need some more AMFS B shooters around here.. :chortle: :wink:

I know I shoot way better now, having learned with the freestylers over the last year, though I know some of the BHFS shooters are pretty dang awesome too.. :wink:

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Thanks for the reply... Good information. I was under the impression that the mini max cams were the ones that you could change from 65% to 80% etc. From what I gather then ... I have no choice as my draw is only 27 inches. Sounds like a 65% Mini Max is it!

Any other thoughts or pointers for setting up and shooting the C3?

Thanks Again!
I have had better luck with the cam slightly under rotated but it had to be done to get my draw to fit me the way i like

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice again guys...

I definitely look forward to getting the C3 set up as a true Target bow rather than the icon which to me is a hunting bow disguised as a target bow :wink:

I'm very anxious to see what those looooong Posten stabs feel like.

Anyway... talk to you all soon, and hopefully meet you all at some point!

Thanks again,

· Registered
2,424 Posts
I definitely look forward to getting the C3 set up as a true Target bow rather than the icon which to me is a hunting bow disguised as a target bow :wink:

I'm very anxious to see what those looooong Posten stabs feel like.

Anyway... talk to you all soon, and hopefully meet you all at some point!

Thanks again,
Tuning forks!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.