Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if any of you have any experience with the "ME" attitude with hunting partners.

I have a friend, we'll call him "Joe", that I'm leasing land with this year and I have hunted with him in the past and have no problems, probably because it was land that I had obtained rights to hunt and he was my guest.

I have friends outside of Joe that sometimes invite me to hunt their land and I would like to do the same, but Joe doesn't like that idea because I may put them in the "best" stand and he wouldn't have the opportunity to hunt that stand. I try to present an alternative and Joe says no because he may kill "his" buck. I tried to explain to him that this wouldn't be an every weekend event probably one Saturday with one guy, he didn't care he wanted to take "his" deer before we let any friends on.

I say find and move on not wanting to ruffle any feathers. This land has several treestands already on it due to another member hunting the land the year before, and I mention which ones are probably going to be the best producing. We're setting up to get together this weekend to hunt the land, and he says he going to hunt "his" stand and I should sit it "my" stand. I was a little stunned and asked which one was "his" stand, and of course he picked the prime spot, no big deal, I'm sure I'll be able to hunt "his" stand some other weekend, but I was a little surprised that he called it "his" stand.

Another thing that has me wondering if this was the right thing to do, is his attitude towards tagging animals. He normally hunts with a bunch guys during the MI gun season and they will not tag animals or check them in, and he sees no problem with that and mentioned that he may do it on the land we leased.

Should I look for the exit and run after this year is over? I have a real problem with the attitude towards not tagging animals and the me me me attitude is not very appealing and having to wonder all the time if I'm in "his" stand or if I shot "his" deer could be more of a headache than it is worth. I like to hunt and have a good time and enjoy the outdoors and he seems little more bent on killing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
get a new hunting partner

Double Lung em,
anyone who breaks the law is unacceptable as a hunting partner. Regarding the me me me attitude, my experience let those types of hunting partners take themselves out. Karma has strange way of prevailing on picking stand locations.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Being used to the lease thingy… In Texas, there really isn’t really another option.

It is common for the members of a lease to buy, erect, or build their “OWN” stands. And they are normally referred to as “MY” stand or by another name like the “Windmill” stand or the “South Pasture” stand.

I usually have at least two blinds, stands or areas that I hunt, North Wind, and a South Wind area.

I would say that it is quite common for us to hunt each others stands/areas if that person is hunting somewhere else, it is also common for us to have a particular deer that we are hunting, and the others will leave it alone if they see it. That is just common courtesy, and we respect each other enough to honor that.

Most of our leases prohibit visiting hunters, although a few will allow the option for a visitor to hunt off your allotment. I would never put my guest in another lessee’s area without permission, and I probably wouldn’t even then. I might put my guest in my area, and hunt my buddy’s myself, but never the other way around. That is just my way, nothing particularly wrong with putting the guest in someone else’s area.

In Texas, not tagging deer would be against the law; and you could well be guilty by association, depending on your State laws.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stands & Deer

Javelina-

Thanks for the response, this is my 1st lease with others and it is turning into an experience to say the least.

Regarding treestands, all of the stands but 1 (which isn't the one I referred to) were placed last year by another member who isn't hunting the land and has no problem with us hunting his stands. So he really hasn't bought, constructed, or hung a stand on his OWN. The way we originally decided was that anyone can hunt anywhere just post a note in your car letting someone know where you're hunting in that area so they can avoid it, since we only got rights to the land in late August and we haven't had much time to scout. So this "my" stand attitude was kind of surprise.

Regarding bucks, well we haven't seen any during scouting so he is claiming all of the bucks as "his".

You're probably right we need to divide the land up and have areas for each, that way I can have my friend hunt my area like you mentioned, but I think this would lead to him feeling short changed and that "his" area isn't the best, if you know what I mean. I know that you could hang a stand just about anywhere and shoot something on this land.

I will report him to the DNR should he kill a deer and not tag it. It would definitely ruin our friendship, but he would be stealing from all Illinois sportsman by doing this, and that is unacceptable and I won't be known as a friend of a lawbreaker, just in case anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as your hunting "associate" goes, he sounds like someone that you would be better off without. As far as him not tagging game that was taken,it is not only illegal, but information from that tag is one of the best tools for your state DNR to adjust season, bag limits, etc. If they have a handle on what is being taken, they can make a much more informed decision on what to allow to be taken and that can benefit all hunters.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clarification

I think I need to clarify, that this guy has never NOT tagged an animal. I know he has no problem with not tagging an animal and has mentioned that he may do just that, which is concerning in itself, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt until he does, then he is done in my book.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
This is your opportunity to tell your friend what you think is right. He may be feeling you out, to see if you would do the same thing.
Don't let him do it!! If you hang out with outlaws, guess what . . . people will think you're an outlaw.

Make a point of convincing your buddy to keep tagging his deer. Nobody wants that kind of a reputation. It may not be the easiest conversation, but your friend will respect you more (whether he says so or not).

People who kill deer without a tag, or with an improper tag are POACHERS.

Remember . . . .
"ethics" are what you do when nobody is watching.

·
Registered
745 Posts
As far as the lease thing; I will use myself as the example. I have some property that was giving to me to hunt from my employer. I have a friend that I have told about it, and we both have signed release forms for my employer. Now we both have hung our own stands, and we both have put our own feeders out. However, we hunt each others area, and when we do we just use common courtesy by asking if they were planing on hunting that stand. We have not had a problem with anything to date, and only one time the other person was going to hunt that area.

As far as guest hunting; we both have alot of the same friends, so we have just used the same courtesy.

Now there is a buck that I saw about 2 weeks before season while hog hunting. We have both just called it my buck, because I have been the only one to see him. Would my friend shoot it? No, but if he did I would be happy for him that he was able to harvest a very nice 10pt. We have made jokes about friends that we bring back there to hog hunt shooting it, but it seems that everybody just calls it my buck, because I have seen him.

About the tagging issue; I would tell him that if that is what he wants to do, then please do not do it on this property! I would try to explain to him the reasons why, and hope that he understands. As Jav said
you could well be guilty by association
that in itself would be enough reason for me to try to get him to stop!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tagging Deer

Never thought about being guilty by association, will definitely say something to him about it sooner rather than later.

Matiscon-

You're example of your buck is good and here is my take on your example with my situation:

If I were to scout out and find a nice buck, and "Joe" or one of his friends shot it I would be happy for him or his friend, however, if the situation was reversed he would be totally pissed because he didn't tag "his" deer.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding this if I don't get "my" deer attitude. I remember one opening day of gunseason it was basically a blizzard and hunted thru the entire storm and ended up still hunting up on a nice buck chasing does and took him, probably scores about 145-150. Now the landowner was pissed that I shot the deer and that his kids didn't have a chance to shoot it, well they weren't out hunting in the elements for more than 30 minutes all day, no one had ever seen this deer and I'm supposed to know that I should pass this deer for the guys' kids.

I've been bowhunting for over 15yrs now and probably have gone home empty handed 12 of those yrs and have never had a problem with that, maybe a little disappointed in mistakes that I made but it made me long for the following season that much more.

Am I missing what bowhunting or hunting in general is all about? Enjoying the outdoors with friends and being excited about a kill regardless whose it is.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Double Lung 'Em,

It is just me, but if I were in your shoes I would hunt the year out with "Joe", understanding how he is. However, I would get the "tagging" issue straight now!!! Then at the end of the year I would evaluate it. Sometimes things seem like they are going to be a bigger pain then they really are. Then, next year if I choose to reup the lease with him, I would get some things straight before I did the lease. That way you both are on the same piece of paper, and there would not be these little surprises. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Am I missing what bowhunting or hunting in general is all about? Enjoying the outdoors with friends and being excited about a kill regardless whose it is.
You haven't missed a thing! But some enjoy (I guess :rolleyes: ) different parts of the big picture. Over the years I have had several different hunting partners, and have weeded out the undesirable ones. One guy was genuinely mad if I tagged a buck before him, and once he even purposely spooked a nice buck he saw heading across a field towards another hunter... that he brought with him! When I questioned him about that, he said if it would have been me, he probably would have let me shoot it :confused: ***?
Well, I thought that was mighty nice of him, being it was ME that got us permission to hunt there.

Keep looking, there are hunters out there that share your same ideas of what a great hunt is about. These days, bow hunting for me is full of smiles and high fives, no matter who gets what deer. A lot more fun that way :D

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Rhino-

Thanks for the support.

matsicon-

This was such a last minute deal with the lease that we didn't have a chance to iron out all of the details and now deerseason is here, so we must live with how it is.

Definitely will let the season play out and see how things unfold, just discouraging that these type of items would be a problem.

I will be seeing him on Sunday to hunt and will bring up the non-tagging issue.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Let me first say, that I'm now very picky about who I hunt with due to a couple "Me" hunters. I now hunt with about 4 people. I NEVER invite anyone else to go with me to any of my spots, and I will kindly decline if anyone invites me to hunt with them, or if they really want me to go, I'll explain, that due to certain circumstances, I will not be able to reciprocate hunts.

I hunted with a guy that was definitely a "ME" hunter. He was the first to claim stand locations. "I'm sitting in THIS stand or THAT stand, where are you gonna sit?" Or on days when we videod, he would NEVER offer to be cameraman. The one time he did take the camera, he also took his bow. A doe came in that would have been a great setup for an on camera kill scene, I look over, and instead of holding the camera, he's holding his bow.:rolleyes:

I took this same individual, to one of my "private" hunting spots (I was only one that had permission to hunt). He showed up the first day of gun season with his father (I was working out of town at the time, didn't even know this event took place until some time later), and proceeded not only to hunt, but to tell the landowner and one of his relatives where to sit. I almost lost my spot due to this.

This same "Joe" killed a decent buck one year, but continued to hunt does in our hunting spots. He's not as careful about scent as we are, and he will think nothing of hunting the same stand 5 days in a row. Well he killed a doe out of one of these stands and asked for our help retrieving the deer (it was another friends land). That same morning he saw a really nice buck. His father was there helping retrieve the deer, and with gun season 4 days away, his father told the landowner "I will be sitting here first morning, just so you know." Well as fast as that came out, the landowner said "No you aren't. There are people that come here, buy stands that are in these trees, and do work on the land like planting food plots, and trimming the 4-wheeler trails. They are hunting here the first week". The father actually argued with him for some time about this, and eventually he got the picture that he WASN'T hunting there the first day.

Needless to say, we got rid of that individual that year, but only after he bought land out from under us, in a deal that we setup. We negotiated the price, and were all set to buy it as a group. Without telling, or asking us, he purchased the land. He later told the land owner from the paragraph above, that he "didn't know Bo Hunter good enough" to buy land with him. Boy, he sure knew me well enough to hunt with me at my spots for 2 years, and show up with guests at those same spots.

He still to this day is upset that we don't hunt with him, and doesn't understand why. I guess thats how selfish people are....

Bo

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
This is why I only hunt with people who are willing to...

By DeerTexas

Right before I go hunt'n, I bathe in deer blood while chewing rut stained tarsal glands. I eat a raw venison steak for breakfast, then brush my teeth with CWD infected urine. Finally, I floss with spinal cords. I avoid nothin.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
First off...DT needs help.

Beyond that, until recently (last 2 seasons) I've often hunted alone or with my father. I was fortunate to cross paths with a guy one year while hunting public lands when I was younger...we start stepping on each others toes in terms of treestand locations and began talking it over to not "mess each other up".

Great guy, and we treated each other with due respect...avoiding one another's areas and never had a problem. Over the years I got to know him and it wound up when I took my current job and relocated, the closest piece of good hunting land was one he was very familiar with. As luck would have it, I ran into him at this piece one summer evening and he offered to help me out and set me up in a few spots because he didn't want me trekking through his areas scouting in the fall! ;)

Since then, together we've been hunting during the season and scouting/prepping locations in the offseason...and having a great time. Funny thing is...neither of us is ever really thinking about ourselves...I'm alway sitting in my stand saying "Man, I hope Steve gets a shot today". Sure, I'd love to get a shoot too...but I think I get more excited when he gets one! ;)

Due to my limited schedule, Steve helps me out a ton...scouting, finding new areas, watching who's where to plan our next move, building a bridge for me to cross flooded streams, etc. To be honest, he's probably one of the biggest reasons I actually continue to hunt New Jersey. I think with my lack of free time and the "fair" hunting opportunities in NJ...I would have drifted away to other hobbies (fly fishing for example). But, my friendship with Steve has kept me interested and motivated for hunting, just sharing the experiences with someone who has similar hunting goals as yours is IMO what its all about.

With all of that said, and as it so happens to be, Steve has asked if his brother and friends can come along for a few days during gun season this year. No problem...as a matter of fact...they can sit in my stand on opening day if they want.

As hunters, some of our most valued time is afield...and as such we should select our partners carefully. If the enjoyment of your overall hunting experience is being compromised, its time to move on by yourself or find a new partner. Sounds like you have your head on straight, and know what you enjoy about hunting...now its just time to find someone near you that shares those same interests. You're in a prime whitetail area, I wouldn't waste any more time with "Me Me Me" types...unless he is truly a valued friend and you think a talk will straighten him out. Even if he is a valued friend, some friendships are not suited for hunting partnerships.

Good luck man, both in this and future seasons.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Double lung,
I would get out of there! I am leasing 400 acres with seven other guys and I am having troubles too. The property is the best property I have ever hunted. Last year was the first year and I saw more bucks in that year then in my 17years of hunting. I am currently looking for a new lease for next year.Im sure it wont be near as good but I want to have fun hunting not argue with morons. Unfortunately I plan on having more problems this year but maybe things will work out. You would think 7 guys would be able to hunt 400 acres without any problems wouldnt you? I think its better to hunt less desirable properties with good friends and family, and have memorable times than to hunt the best properties available with a$$hole$. Hope things work out for you and good luck this year.
Ryan

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Re: Does that

Double Lung 'Em said:
Javelina-

Does that really help you see more deer? :D :D :D
Sure it does... just send DT to the other side of the place and all the game runs to my side....:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts