Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Shooter of flesh
7,672 Posts
target shafts are fine just a tad longer than rest,but huntn shafts you generally want atleast 1"-1 1/2 past the rest so your broads stay infront of your hand..
I have to disagree with your assessment of how long your hunting arrows should be. I trust that the bow hunter is not SO stupid, that they'll somehow (and I have no idea how this can be done) put their hand in front of the bow and hit it with an arrow/broadhead! I believe that the most important thing is to have a well tuned arrow/bow, so you get the best results between field points and broadheads. To me, that usually means the shorter the arrow the better.

PS. My draw is 27.5 and my arrow length is 25.75.

· Shooter of flesh
7,672 Posts
Really? I know that it HAS happened. You also can not guarantee against equipment failure.
You're right, there are no guarantees against equipment failures...so we guard against then as best we can. I keep my fingers/hand below the rise cutout, that way, the broadhead cannot hit me. I do not believe I'm doing anything risky at all.

· Shooter of flesh
7,672 Posts
So what happens if your one of those guys that shoots a mechanical head and it prematurely opens before shot?? Happens quite often regardless of whether its happened to you or not..
My hand/fingers are below the riser cutout. I don't care where it opens, it will NOT hit my hand or fingers.

Honestly...what is your hand/fingers doing in the path of the arrow. I intend NO insult here at all, but it seems to me that MANY people here on AT must have a death grip on their bow! I have an open hand, with my fingers folded up, completely away from the front of my bow.

IF my Spitfire opened up early (it won't), it may bounce off my riser, but it will still NOT come near my hand.

Just took this...my form may not be perfect...I only had 10 seconds to assume the position (and NOT shoot my camera!!!). But it shows what I'm talking about. Blast away.;)

· Shooter of flesh
7,672 Posts
And consider the arrow rest and short arrows. Prong style shoot through and limb driven rests have the arrow up so if the arrow is short the broadhead doesn't catch on the shelf. The majority of drop rests don't raise the arrow until the last inch or so and the broadhead could catch the shelf.
You're right, but at least with Ripcord, they say to cock the rest in the upright position before drawing. This is one of their selling points...it's now ready to shoot and the arrow is trapped. It wouldn't be any different with a whisker biscuit, and more people hunt with a whisker biscuit than any other rest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.