Archery Talk Forum banner

Measuring arrow length

6018 14
What is the correct way to measure the arrow length for your bow?
If I am shooting a 29dl bow- what size shaft should I be shooting?

When ordering do I count the length of the nock?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Texas and Bucks listed the correct measurement. see this link... http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_1.htm

But you need to be careful what you are using the measurement for. If you order arrows online, Lancaster for example, most vendors will ask you to specify carbon to carbon length. If you use an archery program, OT2 for example uses carbon to carbon length in the arrow spine calculation.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
How is that even possible? My Draw is 27.5 and my arrows are 30 inches and just stick out past the riser. They are a little longer than needed but not that much longer.
???? AMO DL is defined as True Draw + 1-3/4" (see the figure). True Draw is the horizontal distance from the arrow nock throat (bow string) to the deepest part of the grip at full draw. For most of the newer bows I have seen, this point is somewhere near or at the Berger hole (my Hoyts are in the center or rear edge of hole, my PSE is the front of the hole, Elite is actually in front of the hole, etc). So if his draw bows DL is 27.5, the rest hole is somewhere around 1-3/4" behind that (25.75"). And depending what rest, the rest will likely be a bit farther back still. So very possible.

Line Diagram Parallel Tool accessory

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.