Archery Talk Forum banner

Measuring sight pin

189 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  dsdhunts
The package my sight came in has no info on the size of the pin. I have been wishing for a smaller less bright pin and have read quite a few threads about this. My question is, whether the end of the filaments are smaller with the smaller strands. I took some calipers and my filament measures .029 on the back of the post. However the actual dot that I am viewing in the sight window is .047. Is this possible or am I most likely measuring the post itself? I'm pretty sure I was able to fit the caliper to the tip of the fiber without including the post, but it wasn't easy. I am reluctant to buy a .019 fiber replacement because I am afraid it will either not have a smaller tip, or if it does, it might slip through the hole at the top of the post that it anchors to. Is it common for the end of the fiber to be larger like the head of a finishing nail? In my case it appears that it does and would be needed to hold the fiber in place.
Thanks!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
I believe at least some sights have the end of the fiber melted to form a ball. This is what secures the fiber in place on the post. In any case I don't think you would be able to just swap out to smaller fiber. The post you have is for a .029 fiber, I don't think it would be compatible with a smaller OD. What sight do you have?

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC it is made by Acxel, but there is no name on the sight itself. Unfortunately I will not be able to access the package it came in for another week or so when I am back home again. I am not seeing my sight on their line up, but it seems manufacturers often change things around and only list their current models.

I think I would be happy if it just didn't have the melted head. I'm reluctant to try snipping it off because it might pull through from the tension in the fiber. It wasn't an expensive sight, either $39 or $69, can't remember which. I could make it less bright easy enough, and while the pin could be smaller, I don't think I'm not at the point where it is affecting my accuracy that much. If and when it does, I've earned a new sight. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.