Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, this is my first post on this forum although I have been watching and learning for a while. I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find it with a search. How do you actually measure string or cable length? From the centers of the loops or from the outside of the loops? Or do you squeeze the loops closed and measure the total length? Thanks

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
There is a simple way to measure your string length while on the bow...that is, without removing the string or the cable from the bow!

There are other measurements on the strings and cables to consider....that is, if you want to get a set that is as close as possible to the ones on there right now (assuming they are the correct length, that is).

Furthermore, it is rare that the strings/cables on a bow are MADE to AMO standards...from the bow manufacturers. I have heard that many bow manufacturers figure that a string/cable is in "spec" if it is within 1/2" of what it is supposed to be.

I have also heard that if you order say, 28" AMO drawlength....then anything from 28 5/8" to 28 5/8" is WITHIN SPEC....with most of the error being on the LONG side. Some even come worse than that due to the string stretch and possibly having a string 1/2" longer than it is supposed to be.....

So NEVER EVER trust the limb tag when it comes to AMO drawlength. What is normally on the tag for string length and cable length is the SPEC for it...but doesn't mean that SPEC is what is actually on the bow!

drop me an e-mail at :

[email protected]

and I can send you this information about string and cable measurement while on the bow and NOT in a bow press.

field14

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I am trying to determine is if what is actually on the bow is in spec. The original string was about 3/8" longer than what the limb said, and that was in the twisted state. A to A was in spec so I'm a little confused about what size to actually use for a replacement.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
SDLAW said:
What I am trying to determine is if what is actually on the bow is in spec. The original string was about 3/8" longer than what the limb said, and that was in the twisted state. A to A was in spec so I'm a little confused about what size to actually use for a replacement.
What bow are we talking about?

·
(aka lug nut)
48,352 Posts
SDLAW said:
Some bow string makers use 1 twist per 2-inches of total string length, prior to twisting.

Somw bow string makers use 1 twist per 1.5-inches of total string length, prior to twisting.

The bow string length affects your AMO draw length.

If you want to adjust your ATA to factory spec,
you add or subtract twists to the cables.

So, long story short,
as long as the new string and cables are close
to the factory recommendations (check the factory website or call them),
then you just add twists or remove twists as necessary to

get the ATA to factory spec

and

to get the bow draw length adjusted to your requirements.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a 06 Allegiance. ATA 33 7/8" with @ 4 1/2 timing marks showing on top and 5 on bottom so I assume the cables and/or string are out of whack. I am just hoping to find a good starting point so I don't have to spend the night guestimating.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Well you’re looking in all the wrong places… as the song goes… :wink:

String and cable length is not an exact science as you can probably tell from the post on this thread. The proper place to start is with a BowTech tuning guide, there are a couple here on AT. Dave Nowlin has a good one. You can follow it to twist or untwist the cables and string to time the bow and set the pre-load on the limbs.

I don’t have his guide bookmarked, but I’m sure someone does and can post a link…

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
SDLaw,
You can measure up the string ON THE BOW.

Send me an e-mail and I can explain it better just how to do this...it is simple, and pretty accurate.

However,
I would highly recommend that you go with factory specifications when ordering up a custom string...UNLESS you know for sure that YOU intentionally put on a different string than factory spec length.

CABLE length can also be used for gross DRAWLENGTH adjustment AND for cam "timing"....just remember...when you change the cable length, you also will be moving the nocking point slightly as well.

String length should be adjusted with equal numbers of twists on the top and the bottom ends...this keeps the peep site aligned. If the peep is twisting, then you go with just using ONE END to twist up or down to get the peep rotation working right.

Since the string lenghth measurement ON THE BOW is an upcoming "thing" that I'll be publishing, I cannot yet put it here on AT (due to copyrighting)

field14 :cocktail: :cocktail:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts