Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm looking to possibly trying to grind and make my own venison burgers and sausage rather than paying someone to do it. I plan on taking 2-3 deer per year and grinding most of it into yummy snacks. I've heard that I need at least a 1HP grinder, but from what I see, they run at least $500. Do I need something that heavy duty? I've found cheaper ones on Cabelas with good reviews, but don't want to run into issues all the time. Wondering what grinder you guys suggest? Thanks.

·
Pay It Forward
25,604 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
For 2-3 deer a year you for sure do not need a 1HP. That is a big hoss and will grind those 2-3 in one sitting in less than 1 hour. You can do all you want with what 12-Ringer suggested.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I bought the meat grinder attachment for my wifes Kitchen Aid mixer. Works great.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought the meat grinder attachment for my wifes Kitchen Aid mixer. Works great.
This ! My wife's KA mixer came with a meat grinder more than twenty years ago and I have been grinding meat with it for several years. One of my fave's is big pork loins, 8 to 10 lb for well under $2/lb. Grind it up and mix it with beef or venison, equal parts of each. Add some liquid smoke, jalopenos, onions and seasoning. Best burgers I have ever grilled.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've got the westin #8 and it works great. I grind 3-4 deer a year and you can usually find it for under $100. I recently bought a funnel to make snack sticks and its the one where you insert an auger all the way down the tube. Works real nice and no issues with either one.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
31,210 Posts
I have a Cabelas brand grinder but I haven't used it in a couple years. I recall that I had to use the largest disc to keep it from clogging up.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Yes all great input here. I would add getting some pork fat from a local butcher. Cause without fat you can't make burgers cause they won't stick so some where between 5-20% fat is great

·
teredpse
1,239 Posts
I bought a #32 with a v belt wheel and put it with a 1 1/2 hp motor. Can grind a deer in about 30 min. Completely. Some great diy and it is not hard. Commercial grinders that are 1/2 hp are to slow. I will look for a photo of mine.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Shoot I have a $100 LEM grinder. Works beautifully. Have ground by dress of pounds of hog meat with it.

·
teredpse
1,239 Posts
I also put the auger and the blades in the freezer for about 30 min before i ground the meat. Keep the meat cold it grinds better. I use jimmy dean sausage for fat. Have used beef suite that stuff is great if you can get.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,482 Posts
Personally a #12 is as small as I'd go and that seems tiny to me. I was a journeyman meatcutter when I was in college so I ground about 2 billion pounds of meat through Hobart commercial grinders. I get a kick out of companies like Cabelas calling their bigger grinders "commercial." I have a #12 1hp Fabio Leonardi. They used to make them for Cabelas. Found it on eBay, mint condition selling with the auger missing. LEM carries Leonardi parts so for $80 I have a $500 grinder. The dedicated stuffers work MUCH better for making sausage than a grinder with stuffing attachment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I decided to grid my own meat this year also. I picked up the cabelas 1/2hp grinder a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $359. Grinded 5lbs of pork butt the day I got it to try making breakfast sausage. Worked great! This past saturday I grinded another 5lbs of pork, 5lbs of chuck roast and doe I got the previous weeking along with some left overs from last year. Couldn't be happier with the grinding part.It would grind as fast as I could feed it. I will however be purchasing a vertical stuffer as the grinder does not work well for stuffing. Would recommend the foot pedal also (bought the lem,it was cheaper on amazon)

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I'm not sure what the hp of my Cabelas is but it is a #22. IMO if your gonna be doing a lot the #22 is the min. I do have a 3mm plate on it which slows it down a bit but it is a great grind and one and done with the 3mm.

A lot of opinions on this but if you get to doing 2-3 deer at a time or a bigger animal grinding can take awhile with a smaller unit.

Fwiw I regret not getting the #32 but it was a big price increase over the #22. And again the 3mm plate makes a huge difference.

·
teredpse
1,239 Posts
I paid $89 bucks for the #32 amazon. I also had the motor. I used an old pool pump motor and the pulley from the hardware store. I have about 150 bucks in my grinder. It has an 4" opening to put the meat in and its a 3" outlet. One deer mixed in 30 min and your done. It you do 2 to 3 at one time it is worth the extra for the #32. A 1.5 hp motor is great. Not all day grinding with that smaller unit they sell at gander. #22 is a 1\2 hp motor? Maybe 3/4. Look on line lots of ideas.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,482 Posts
I paid $89 bucks for the #32 amazon. I also had the motor. I used an old pool pump motor and the pulley from the hardware store. I have about 150 bucks in my grinder. It has an 4" opening to put the meat in and its a 3" outlet. One deer mixed in 30 min and your done. It you do 2 to 3 at one time it is worth the extra for the #32. A 1.5 hp motor is great. Not all day grinding with that smaller unit they sell at gander. #22 is a 1\2 hp motor? Maybe 3/4. Look on line lots of ideas.
Good way to go for the do it your selfer. I thought about building one with an old 3hp spa motor I have and adding a big feeding tray on top that would act as a cover over the belt and pulley too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.