1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have several farmer friends I buy beef from and archery season is about to start, also have some chickens and ducks to butcher so I will be good on the meat front. I believe the inflation we are seeing though is just scratching the surface.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,057 Posts
I heard today that paper products are going to go way up in price too..
not enough lumber workers and shipping issues with ships....

·
Registered
Hoyt CRX 32, PSE EVL 34
217 Posts
Venison is the most expensive meat on the planet. Don’t pretend to let anyone ever tell you they hunt for cheap meat. By the time you factor in tags, weapons, clothing, boots and then the time and effort. You could easily work overtime or a second job and or save enough money buy 5X’s the quantity of meat with to trip to the market. I hunt for the the love of the entire experience from trail cam pics, hanging the stands, following the blood trail, gutting dragging hanging and butchering then to the consuming my kill. But I have never hunted to save money on my grocery bill.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Venison is the most expensive meat on the planet. Don’t pretend to let anyone ever tell you they hunt for cheap meat. By the time you factor in tags, weapons, clothing, boots and then the time and effort. You could easily work overtime or a second job and or save enough money buy 5X’s the quantity of meat with to trip to the market. I hunt for the the love of the entire experience from trail cam pics, hanging the stands, following the blood trail, gutting dragging hanging and butchering then to the consuming my kill. But I have never hunted to save money on my grocery bill.
You’re 100% right on the vast majority of us.
For me meat is not the goal but a huge bonus.
Now if I NEEDED to feed me or my family I could hunt WAY cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I agree, but I would deer hunt even if I gave all the meat away, so I don’t figure the money spent as grocery money, it’s entertainment money and the meat is an awesome bonus. I can’t remember the last time I bought beef at the store.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You know this is all just b.s. excuses to raise prices. Just like lumber. Quit buying stuff at stupid prices and it will come down.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
First part of post sounds like my wife. 😃

·
I like elk!
19,415 Posts
It easy to understand your thought process, but your scenario certainly doesn’t apply the same for everyone, especially considering elk are deer (venison) too.

·
Registered
Hoyt CRX 32, PSE EVL 34
217 Posts
It easy to understand your thought process, but your scenario certainly doesn’t apply the same for everyone, especially considering elk are deer (venison) too.
How much does an elk hunt cost you (make sure you factor in your time from work)

·
Registered
Hoyt CRX 32, PSE EVL 34
217 Posts
You’re 100% right on the vast majority of us.
For me meat is not the goal but a huge bonus.
Now if I NEEDED to feed me or my family I could hunt WAY cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely but if you “NEEDED” meat. You wouldn’t “hunt” it you’d just kill it where ever you found it in the most convenient spot possible. No?

·
Registered
Hoyt CRX 32, PSE EVL 34
217 Posts
Not trying to argue with anyone ( I love hunting and will never quit until the day I die) just applying some reality.

·
I like elk!
19,415 Posts
How much does an elk hunt cost you (make sure you factor in your time from work)
Just killed a bull with a friend on Sunday.
Tag was around $50
200 pounds of boneless meat.

Self employed, and making money even when not working.

Butcher everything ourselves.
Gear amortized over many years.

As mentioned.., the reality is, your scenario isn’t a one size fits all, but understand the thought process.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Wife's been trying to talk me into getting some pigs. We have room on the 57 acres. Also been considering 1 or 2 beef cows. Starting to make sense now. Just hate to give up food plot space!

·
Pay It Forward
25,358 Posts
True, but I can tell you this...those who are hunting as a primary means of feeding their families, don't spend what most of spend for the SPORT of hunting....their is a significant difference.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts