Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Cabelas sells some nice meat slicers. I bought mine at last 10 years ago. Suggested retail was $180, but I got it during their Christmas sale for about $100.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
I have a cheap one I bought because I needed it then. I am a firm believer now that you get what you pay for in slicers, as in most other things.

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
I have one and love it. Not sure of the "quality", but I've used commercial grade slicers before and this ain't one of them. I use mine basically just to pre-slice meat for jerky. I slice it, freeze it, and when its time for jerky just thaw and it's ready to go. For sliced jerky, it's perfect and probably wasn't much more than $100-$150.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Since I was in the grocery business I know what the better ones do compared to the entry level ones so I went for a Berkel

·
Archery
10,493 Posts
I dont use it often. But when i need it it is handy.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
I see Cabela's is running their $200 8.7" on sale the 18th - 24th for $99

I realize these are not top of the line slicers but for $99 it will more than like be good enough for around the house.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
Just went through this last year myself. Bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it was beyond junk. Did some searching online and found the old Rival ones highly reccomended by the meat and cheese guys. I went and bought one on Ebay and have been very pleased with it so far but have only sliced homemade bacon with it.

.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rival-Meat-...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item35e1746071
Interesting. They must have done something right with all those chrome slicers still going!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Spend the money to get a good one. I spent $300 on mine after throwing away the one I bought at Gander Mountain for $129.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you're slicing thin for jerky I've done well chilling the meat to am almost frozen state and using a sharp knife to cut to 1/4 inch. Thinner than that and I imagine a slicer would be necessary.

Don't watch The Wrestler if you plan on using a slicer.

·
Archery
10,493 Posts
If you're slicing thin for jerky I've done well chilling the meat to am almost frozen state and using a sharp knife to cut to 1/4 inch. Thinner than that and I imagine a slicer would be necessary.
Yep chilled/slightly frozen works the best

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had to go pull mine out of the cabinet to see what brand it was. Had it for fifteen to twenty years. It's a Toastmaster brand and pretty simple. Paid about fifty or sixty bucks for it and it works well. Blade is about 8" diameter and it will slice up to about a half inch and down to shaved ham thickness.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I am looking to do with it is take venison roast and cut thins slices for sandwiches. But I would also like to do bacon and jerky as well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I got the one cabelas had on sale for $99 and it does good. I sliced up a 200# hog with it a couple weeks ago

·
Human Bean
15,257 Posts
Make sure you don't get one with plastic gears. They will eventually strip and the slicer is then worthless. Most sub $100 slicers will have plastic gears.

Right now I have a Berkel 12 in slicer:

It is a little large for slicing up smaller portions, so I'm a also considering getting a smaller slicer that can actually stay in my kitchen. The Berkel is a beast that only comes out to play when I'm processing game. When I had a smaller slicer (plastic gears) I used it quite frequently for cheese, slicing sausage, etc, because it was small enough to stay in my kitchen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts