Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to how many of you have actually taken a mechanical head and shot it extensively along w/ your fieldpoints?

I started doing this last summer, with lots of different mechanicals and I have come up w/ a pattern that I want to share. All mechanicals, with all of my bows will impact lower than my fieldpoints. It is really hard to notice inside of 30 yds, but once you get past 40 yds, especially at 50 and 60 yds, with all heads, the broadhead poi is much lower. Some brands were worse than others, but they all impacted lower, especially downrange.

I talked w/ the great guys at grim reaper and they stated the same thing. It has been proven w/ the hooter shooter. The blades produce just enough more drag, as well as the FOC difference, you will see that the bh will impact lower than a field point.

I used to check my poi w/ my mechanicals and fieldpoints at 20 yds, where they would be identical, and then just assume that it would be the same at all distances. Not the case.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
every mech broadhead I have ever shot has been one shot and busted into pieces either from the shot or removal from the target. Whats the trick to gettin them back out?? Yesterday it was A tekan one blade broke off other bent. Flew good though .

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best way that i have found is to superglue the blades in the closed postion, and then take some spiderwire, or similar fishing line, and tie the blades closed.

The rocket steelhead was the closest head that i tested that had the least amount of drop. The wasp jackhammer seemed to drop the most, which makes sense because the ferrel is longer and the blades run all the way to the end of the ferrel. But they all drop.

Grim Reaper has practice heads available, which I just bought two packs.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
What does the test prove, and why does it even matter??? :dontknow:

An arrow with a field point vs. an arrow with any broadhead, mechanical or fixed, is a different animal.

I shoot a mechanical, but i broadhead tune my bow with steel force cut on contact heads.

If your bow is tuned, making a slight adjustment to your sight is no big deal.

FWIW though, i shoot the Rage practice heads out to 70 yards, and they do not impact lower than my field points. If i consistently hit the back wall with the same amount of pressure, they impact the same.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I have shot Steelheads for years(hundreds of shots/upper hundreds !!)....never had one fly any differently than my FP's.... I shoot my FP's.... screw in a Steelhead or XL do a spin test and go kill deer !!! ..... :darkbeer:

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
I have never tried a mechanical head, but I test everything I shoot at 60 yards. So, that would be my first test with a mechanical as well.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My point is, I don't want people to think that they can install mechanical heads right out of the box, and just assume that they will impact exactly like their fieldpoints.

Ask any broadhead manufactuer, the hooter shooter proves it. The impact difference is usually minor, especially inside of 35 yds.

I believe that this is why a lot of mechanical broadhead manufacturers are coming out w/ practice heads.

For me, the rage heads impact on the avg about 3-4" lower than my fieldpoint groups at 50 yds.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also found the steelhead to impact the closest to my fieldpoint groups, although I still get a noticably lower than fieldpoint impact at 50 yds.

·
Registered
25,079 Posts
My point is, I don't want people to think that they can install mechanical heads right out of the box, and just assume that they will impact exactly like their fieldpoints.

Ask any broadhead manufactuer, the hooter shooter proves it. The impact difference is usually minor, especially inside of 35 yds.

I believe that this is why a lot of mechanical broadhead manufacturers are coming out w/ practice heads.

For me, the rage heads impact on the avg about 3-4" lower than my fieldpoint groups at 50 yds.
Wow my rages at 50 are about 1-1 1/2 low but we all have to remember every bow is different so we will all get different readings

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
i shot the rages into a broadhead target out to 50 yards last year and could not tell a difference between them and my field tips. they were the exact same. man if you want to keep a target dont shoot to many 2" rages into it. that weekend hit me for about $75

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
My point is, I don't want people to think that they can install mechanical heads right out of the box, and just assume that they will impact exactly like their fieldpoints. Why not, that's what the manufacturers want you to think.;)

That's OK. My Slick Tricks impact 6-8" lower than my field points and every other fixed-blade BH I shoot at 60 yards.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I also found the steelhead to impact the closest to my fieldpoint groups, although I still get a noticably lower than fieldpoint impact at 50 yds.
POI has never been a problem with steelheads...granted i dont shoot 50yards but at 40 they are still right in there...JMO

·
The dude abides
1,065 Posts
every mech broadhead I have ever shot has been one shot and busted into pieces either from the shot or removal from the target. Whats the trick to gettin them back out?? Yesterday it was A tekan one blade broke off other bent. Flew good though .
Use the practice blades on the tekans. I forgot to swap them out once last fall. My brother and I had to cut some of the target out and both pull on a pliers to get that thing out. When it came out nothing was wrong just messed the threads up a little but it felt like the blades were breaking off when we were pulling it out. Just ran the threads through a dye and it is still shooting today.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
899 Posts
This is a good observation. I use 125 grain fieldpoints and 100 grain Wasp Jackhammers - fly the same. The Jackhammer is longer and does drop therefore it flies right with heavier feildpoint; steelhead is so small it flies the same as fp (125).

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Ive noticed it with Rage and Spitfires at 70 plus yds but im not concerned because i'm not gonna take a shot that far. I also noticed my shuttle T at that distance was even more drastic but at 50yds they did fine.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
any mechanical I have tried has hit the same as my fieldpoints out to 60 yds. Snypers, Spitfires and even the cheap silvertips by eastmans. This year I wil be trying Epek's.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Very interesting...

Neat study - I'm always amazed at how many here try different methods to test things - it's great.

For me, personally - I hunt thicker bush country, so a 50 yd shot would be rare. Most of my game is all within 30-40yds or closer. I tried a test of my own with grim reapers - shot a bunch of field tips into a target and marked the holes. I spun on a reaper and tried a bunch of shots at 20 and 30yds. I placed that mech head into some of the same holes as my FT. Good enough for me. I would not attempt a shot past 45yds on a deer anyways with my setup. Too much chance for something to go wrong and I don't pull too much weight due to an elbow injury.

Shot a decent Jake Turkey this spring with the Grim Reaper. Great head. Big hole and a nice bird for the freezer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts