Archery Talk Forum banner

Mechanical Heads for Turkeys

462 3
My past 31 were turkeys were taken with conventional equipment. The 1st eleven were taken with numerous BH types. My recovery ratio was approximately 70% and many recoveries involved messy follow-ups. Since switching to a 2 3/4” mechanical BH, my recovery rate for the last 20 birds that were actually hit is 100%. There has been only one long recovery due to a poor shot which completely severed the right drum stick. Please keep in mind that I have had my share of misses.

I no longer own conventional equipment and have found myself on this exhausting search for a competent traditional BH. When stating ‘competent’, I mean that a less than great mark will still ground the bird.

If my traditional set-up’s momentum is greater than or equal to my previous conventional set-up;

If the traditional arrow wt’s contribution to momentum is 71% vs. 37% for my previous conventional set-up;

If the traditional arrow EFOC is 20.5% vs. 12% for my previous conventional set-up;

Then, why should I not consider using the same 2 ¾” mechanical BH?

My question is sincere and your input would be most appreciated
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11,287 Posts
Use that helicopter of a broadhead...the Guillotine and aim for the head.

I doubt you would be chasing after any more wounded birds using that head if you hit anywhere near the head or neck.

It's the head I'm gonna use.

Ray ;)

· Registered
2,049 Posts
Use that helicopter of a broadhead...the Guillotine and aim for the head.

I doubt you would be chasing after any more wounded birds using that head if you hit anywhere near the head or neck.

It's the head I'm gonna use.

Ray ;)
I wonder how well the Gobbler Guillotine will work w/a much slower recurve vs a fast compound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_1mFAi2SSQ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.