Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks;

I was pondering a question; would it be better to shoot mechanical heads compared to broad? I was wondering this because mechanical heads supposedly fly more like field points. WHAT DO YOU FOLKS THINK?

Just Pondering !

Holler Critter:tongue:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
spatan

I prefer fixed blade broadheads to machanicals because they have less moving parts so are more durable. the also fly just as well as the flimsier machanicals should your FOC is right and provided quality B/H are used. As always there are those top machanicals that seem to put anything down if placed well. what ever you decide ensure your bow is tuned 2well and you chose reputable designs.

Spatan:cocktail:

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Mechanical heads are not a good choice for traditional bows. The KE is iffy for using them. You would be much better served with a cut on contact broadhead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Holler, do NOT use mechanicals with traditional bows. They're made to open with arrow speeds 100fps faster than trad bows produce (275+ vs. 175+/- fps). You will have no problems with arrow flight if you tune the broadhead to the arrow shaft so that it's perfectly inline. Use a cutting tip broadhead, either 2, 3, 4 blade. Avoid conical & pyramid shaped tipped replaceble blade broadheads as well, you will not get nearly the penetration as you will with a traditional style broadhead. My favorite "new" model is the Phantom, by Muzzy. Awesome in every characteristic! -Zano

Attachments

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,784 Posts
Never use mechanical BG on traditional bows... ONLY Cut on Contact.

Dwayne

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
i think that if it is still around today (broad heads), than it must not have been too bad an idea. i have never shot a mechanical, mainly because i don't know any one who uses them. we all use broadheads and are fine with the little extra practice they require.

don't fix it if it ain't broke.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm going to use Muzzy 3 blade BHs with the replacable blades deer hunting this year. They were easy to tune. My friend is a sawed off runt with a blown shoulder so he shoots a 50# compound with 26" draw and a string loup that gets him to 26.5". He shot a deer last year with a 335 grain arrow with that BH going 240 fps right through the boiler room and the arrow was laying on the ground on the other side of the deer where he shot him. Clean through. Deer went about 80 yards and plopped over dead. I'm shooting a 410 grain arrow going 197fps so I'm not packing quite as much punch But close to it. But I don't see any reason they won't work. I was shooting a mixture of field points and BHs the other day and I broke one of the nocks off of one of my arrows with the field point with a BH arrow at about 25-30 yards. Don't ask me to do it again. That was a fluke thing. The hardened, screw on tips of the Muzzy's have sort of a 3 blade thing going on and they come a hell of a lot sharper than my Snuffers did. They're going to go where I put them. That's the main part. They just don't look as traditional and I'm not exactly worried about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts