Archery Talk Forum banner

Mechanical Vs. Fixed

1200 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  b0w_sniper
This season i bought a set of mechanical broadheads and i couldnt even get a group 20 yards...i was using chrimson raptors. Than i bought a set of fixed broadheads and they worked fine... I was just wondering which broadheads you guys would perfer?Mechanical Or Fixed
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,700 Posts
okay you say you bought and was shooting a new set of mechanicals and they wouldn't shoot for you and then you put on a fixed blade and they shot like your field points? the problem is usually the fixed won't group and the mechanical would group great. there seems to be a problem and i am thinking it is more than the broadhead but since you can group the fixed then maybe it was the broadheads themselves. did you spin test them? and did you check your inserts and also what kind of arrows were you shooting?
try a different mechanical like the steelheads and see if they fly better than the crimsons and the fixed head. that is one strange episode but i hope you get it figured out
rob k

G

·
I have sen over the last 25years all the argument for and against, the one arguments against are exactly the same ones that were use when the industry went to replacable blades. The first ones were not to grea then they got alot better over a very short time. The same with expandables, the reason they are so popular is that they are so much more accurate than fixed with a much larger cutting area and with todays bows the hitting power is more than enough to get the job done. Fixed will always have a place and remain so but do requier much more setting up than expandables. Right now I know of no fixed head with an 1.5" cutting dia. that you could put on your arrow and shoot spot on at 40 yrds by only replacing the field point, I have 6 types of expandables that will. Either way each will get the job done.

· Registered
15 Posts
Crimson talons will fly just like a field point,seen it done out of a shooting machine. Bought some my self and sure enough just like my field points.Wouldn't think of using anything else.double lungged frst deer i shot with them at thirty yds.

· Registered
2,070 Posts
do a search. you will see nothing comes out of these threads but arguments.

i prefer mechs on whietail because i can get a larger cutting diameter. if i ever go for biggger game i will shoot fixed. they both group perfectly with my fp out to 50 yards. muzzy 100gr and spitfire xp 100gr

if you couldnt get mechs to group but grouped fixed then there is something seriously amiss. mech dont plane like fixed do period. is your bow tuned? did you shoot the mech and fixed with the same arrows? did you spin test those arrows? whats your foc? have you paper tuned?

your mechs should fly almost identical to the fp's. thats because there is no extra wing to make it fly otherwise.

· Registered
332 Posts
I have always prefered fixed heads (muzzy). I haven't ever had a problem with accuracy with them and I feel I get better penetration.

· Registered
3,567 Posts
If you cant get good groups with mechanical or fixed blade heads you need to TUNE YOUR BOW. My bow is perfectly in tune and I can screw on any head and get great groups. I shoot mechanicals for the 1.75" cutting diameter that I prefer.

· EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,638 Posts
I prefer BOTH! WHY!! well the reason is where I live when the weather gets nasty I don't want a frozen mech head to be shot at a deer with the chance of it not opening, so that is when I use a fixed blade.,. The Mech's I use are NAP Spitfire's, WHY well they make a huge hole and open very easily on impact, and the fixed head's I use are Muzzie's and they work fine for me as far as tuning them and how they fly and the damage they also do the whitetails. If you are looking for a Mech to try I will also cast my vote for the spitfires, perfect flight and short blood trails make for a perfect hunt. Ron

· Registered
185 Posts
If you can't get mechanicals to fly something is wrong. I used fixed blades this last season, but before that I've used a few different brands of mechanicals and they fly like my feild points.

· Registered
4,229 Posts
This season i bought a set of mechanical broadheads and i couldnt even get a group 20 yards
Hard to believe anyone would take that comment seriously. After all the mechanical versus fixed threads trolled through this site, you should be able to spot the malintent ones by now.

HUNT SAFE !!!!

· Registered
421 Posts
the problem could be that your heads are opening in flight, what speed are getting from your setup? with some heads, once you go over 280 they tend to open prematurely.

rocket steelheads are an excellent choice for mech.

· Registered
6,068 Posts
BUSH in 04
the problem could be that your heads are opening in flight, what speed are getting from your setup? with some heads, once you go over 280 they tend to open prematurely.
only if they were not lock in place, like pulling out of a quiver and having them sprung open a little. on some BH i have seen guys forget to put the o-ring on after installing on the arrows. there, you will have a problem. that is why i like the nap spitfire, lockup is tight and snug.

i have yet to have an premature opening out of my setup. i'm shooting @ 330 fps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.