Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going on a hunt in ILL this year and had to sign a contract saying bla bla bla. Anyway i noticed that it said no mechanicals with a star out beside it well i was sitting there wondering about it a little so i asked a friend who has been going to ILL for a few years and he said that you would be surprised on how many hunting lodges have went to that so do you think thats fair or do you think thats trying to tell us something about mechanicals broadheads.

>>-----------> SAVE A HUNTER EAT A PETA

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't shoot mechanicals and I really don't think the lease agreement is fair to a proven product. Does the lease go into details about minimum cutting diameter or other technical jargon simular to DNR regulations?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says nothing about cutting diameter or anything else it just says no *Mechanicals

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If I remember right when mechanicals first hit the market they were not as reliable as they are now...so it may stem from that!

·
Registered
183 Posts
We all know from just looking at a fixed blade how easily this is capable of passing through flesh this is a proven fact yet mechanical's are debatable and suffer in this judgment not only in looks and comparing the two but in real life as well,I can see the point this establishment is obviously biased toward's mechanical's being alot of game is merely wounded with low K.E bows alot are tracked and require additional feild hands to accomplish the end result,when a fixed blade would have put them down for the count I personelly use mechanical's and being they own the land they established the rule's I would not be bothered to screw on a fixed and lose some pin point accuracy than lose the hunt all together on account i didn't agree with there rule's

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
go get some rocket steelheads in either 100 ro 125 and shoot them. they are probably the best over all broadhead on the market. not just my opinion but many other pros out there. they will do the job and you will enjoy the results of the head. excellent entrance and exit wounds. and easy blood trails to follow. if your hutnign any kind fo animal in north america they will do a great job. the one thing you have to know is the law where you are hunting because of the states won't allow mechanicals, and that's too bad
rob k

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Well todays mechanical heads can be deadly. the key is to find a good one that matches up with your setup. Most problems come from people not tuning their bows becuase of the good flight mechanicals give, along with choosing a broadhead that is way to large for the amount of KE their setups produce. Find a good one that matches up and they will work very well.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
1. Ethical hunter + Properly tuned bow + Fixed Heads = Dead deer
2. Ethical hunter + Properly tuned bow + Mech. Heads = Dead deer
3. Lazy hunter + improperly tuned bow + Fixed Heads = wounded deer
4. Lazy hunter + improperly tuned bow + Mech. Heads =wounded deer

Anyone see the pattern? Maybe instead of banning mech heads simply becasue they are mechanical, they should ban lazy hunters. It has nothing to do with the equipment and everything to do with the attitude of the hunter.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I guess the issue isn't about broadheads for this scenario, the issue is that a private landowner has the right to make his/her own rules for whomever is hunting on it.

They really can't establish who is lazy so banning mechanicals is their only answer.
There's nothing wrong with mechanicals or fixed head broadheads in general, its all about how they fly.

Robk, congrats on your achieving pro status.

Jon

·
Registered
39 Posts
The outfitters in Illinois that banned mechanical broadheads want to give you the best chance of recovering the deer you shoot. They have seen many deer shot every year, with every possible set -up. They know what works on big heavy deer when things don't go exactly as planned. The shots are close. usually at the 20 yd range, a fixed broadhead with a heavy arrow is the ticket.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
If that was a problem, then find another outfitter. I am sure there are many that would take your dollards anytime. As for the rule, it is not fair or unfair. It is their show, you must play by their rules. I would simply tell them that I will patronize someone who is a little more knowledgeable in "current" archery tackle.

Dan

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Doinker....Put your ThunderHeads on and quit complaning....;) You know you cant stand mechanicals anyway....:D ....Just be lucky you get to go before me...I'll let you do all the leg work....

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts