Archery Talk Forum banner

mech's for moose?

949 Views 20 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  corey006
Just wondering if it's alright to use rocky mtn snypers for moose at ranges from 20-30 yrds. I also have cut on contact 2 blade stinger, just also wondering if that would be a better head to use, i've never shot a moose before. any advice appreciated
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,487 Posts
I think the vast opinion here would be to use a fixed blade on such a large animal, which is certainly prudent advise. However, with the proper placement I think something like a two blade sniper could get the job done - but margin for error would likely be reduced.

Can you not get fixed blades to fly true - not being critical, just asking? I certainly have had my share of problems in the past with fixed blades.

· Registered
622 Posts
You can not be serious. Please say this is a joke to get a rise out of people.

If it is for real, I suggest a strong fixed blade head on a 400 gr. or heavier arrow. Why push the limit with fragile equipment on such large game?

· Registered
1,806 Posts
I dont think you'll have any problems as long as your bow is putting down over 60lb of kinetic energy. I would have o reservation bout shooting my rig at elk or moose, which is in my signature. and i used 1.5 cut rocket sidewinders.

· Registered
146 Posts
I would highly suggest the stinger! I'm a big fan of mechanical heads, but the bottom line is the Stinger is going to give you a tiny bit more margin for error, and when your 12 yards away from a 1200 pound bull you're going to want all the advantages possible. :darkbeer:

· Registered
1,376 Posts
if it had to be a mech, the snyper is the way to go. if its between the 2, use the stinger for goodness sake!

· Registered
6,628 Posts
Ralph & Vickie C. have been using Spitfires and Shockwaves on moose for years with GREAT success although they have both switched the Hell Razors since that is NAP's newest head to promote. If memory serves me Vickie has a 26" draw and is pulling 58 lb. and she has never had penetration issues with the Shockwaves in the past. While I would personally use a fixed blade head, I see no reason that the Snyper, because of it's design and very conservative cutting diameter, won't get the job done on a well placed shot.

You will have people on both sides of the fence obviously and most will say "If you hit the shoulder you're done" but there is no guarantee that you'll get through the shoulder with a fixed blade head either so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Personally, I would be more concerned with the arrow weight as opposed to the broadhead design, but that's just me.

· Registered
567 Posts
use what you shoot best and make it count,a mech will do fine if its placed well, never killed a moose with a mech but have with fixed and to be honest I didnt make a great shot and it went less than 50yrds.I was shooing a 380grn arrow @ a slow 260.

· Registered
6,587 Posts
:behindsof:moviecorn

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the opinions guys, I do shoot my stingers pretty well. just that I only hunt deer (and maybe the occasion elk every 3 to 4 yrs gun use). just was looking for advice from bowhunters that have hunted moose.

· Banned
2,877 Posts
I use mechanicals, SPITFIRES and ROCKETS on deer with great success.
BUT, on a moose i'd go with a tough cut on contact head. I'm not saying the mechanicals won't do the job, but they are some big, thick animals that need some serious cutting action to penatrate.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Do I think that mech's would work? Certainly, particularly the smaller and tougher ones...like steelheads.

However, I know of not one state, province, or outfitter that recommends them over fixed blade heads.

I'd even go so far as to really think about what kind of fixed head one uses for such a large critter. Your Stingers would be on nearly everyone's recommended-list, including mine.

Good luck with those behemoths.:)

· Registered
1,467 Posts
I have used Spitfires for years and have put them through the spine pluss 4 inches of dirt under the deer, both shoulder blades with 60% of the arrow passing through, a 1/4 away shot that entered behind the shoulder balde and exited the chest, I could go on. I have got more pass throughs than half the guys on TV I have seen. Would I take them moose hunting, heck yes. I would step up to a heavier set up than what I shoot now, say a 100 or 125 grain with an aluminum arrow, but I would not think twice past that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.