Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mental checklist at full draw?

What are you thinking just before the shot? Am I the only one who talks to myself? Sometimes out loud... really!

While at full draw, and while I'm watching the pin, I'm saying... "slow, squeeze, easy... WHACK!

· Registered
774 Posts
I do use a check list but not during the actual shot. My routine goes like this. With the bow down settle my hand into the grip then pull on the release to pull the bow into my bow hand (vs grabbing it). Raise the bow up to level while looking at the target. Draw. RELAX/lower shoulders. Check level on site, establish anchor point, if necessary bend at the waist to get on target. Establish site picture, allow pressure to build, focus on spot, focus, focus, focus---shot goes off.-Hopefully.
If I start thinking why is it not going off? I am now trying to let down and start over and not fight thru it. Does not always work though.
Sounds good on paper, but still trying to make it happen every time.

· Registered
633 Posts
did i remember to nock an arrow:mg:

· Spot Shooter
2,129 Posts
The "X".

Everything else should be automatic if you practice enough.

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RDJA, "Establish site picture, allow pressure to build, focus on spot, focus, focus, focus---shot goes off.-Hopefully."

By "allow pressure to build" are you referring to pressure against the back wall? That's what I try to do each shot. I try not to concentrate on the release.

· Registered
9,514 Posts
Not too have my brain get in the way, like when playing golf, just address the ball and hit it, like archery come full draw focus on the target, and take the shot:shade:

· Registered
839 Posts
I'm new to shooting bows and was shooting today, and if i recall correctly, i never ever thought about the release. I was working on grip and form, and when i had things lined up, the arrow was in the air, and i neverr remember tapping the trigger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.