Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of guys, there are times when I shoot with a great deal of confidence, and others times when I don't. I have been around long enough to realize that shooting with a "fear of missing the bullseye" relates to long hold times, shakey aiming and generally poor scoring (no matter whether spots, 3d, field etc). However, when I am shooting without a fear of missing-or with great "confidence in hitting", I shoot really well, and score well.

To explain further- in an indoor spot league last week, we arrived late, threw our stuff together, shot a practice end- and started scoring. Granted, I would have liked to warmed up properly, but the fact we were in a new venue, and the short warm up- it really rattled me and I was not shooting confidently at all. I scored terribly and dropped a point about half way into the round. There was no reason to lose confidence- it was the same 20 yards we always shoot, great lighting, knew several people there- etc. but I could not get it together, and afterwards when I looked at the round I knew I was shooting with a fear of missing rather than determination to score.

Two days later- I shot a 3d in terrible conditions- 30 MPH winds, gusty, rained right after we started, etc. However, for some reason I shot very comfortably and as the 12's started coming, I noticed my shot was breaking really crisp, my hold times were short, and end of the day shot my best score this year at that course.

So my question is: When you get in a situation where you realize you are not shooting confidently, or something externally has rattled you, what do you do to flip that switch? What do you tell yourself to get out of the "fear of missing" and back into the "shooting with confidence" mode?

· Registered
2,876 Posts
I am in no way a expert on this especially when it comes to indoor shooting, which is alot more mental then the 3d game I play.
for me when I am going into a 3d tournament I almost have a personality switch. I listen to a certain type of music when headed to a shoot and I go into it with the mind set that I can't be beet. I just really started noticing this when I started taking my girlfriend to some tournaments with me and she made a comment that sounded something like "you a diffrent person at archery tournaments".Although u don't want to be so cocky that everyone (or your girlfriend) is going to hate you, that cocky/confident attitude will help alot when it comes to your final score.
the confidence to hit what you are aiming at is the most important mental aspect of archery. Being able to visualize making each perfect shot is a big part of that. That is why I am such a fan of short range practice.
you shoot your indoor round at 10 yards and you will pound the center out of that x, which is a very visual confidence builder.

· Registered
4,220 Posts
I cant for the most part. When i feel that zone sometimes it just clicks and i can maintain it for a while but i dont know how. Sometimes it's so crisp and clear i ask myself how i ever had that heisitation where i couldnt shoot.

Then boom,out of nowhere it will leave and i cannot get it back. Granted it's not often but ive had it lately. Ive never had it so bad i miss the target but it's enough to where my groups open up.

I think thats why blank baling is talked about. You learn that perfect feel so it comes naturally. If it is burnt into the mind over and over it comes subconsciously.

My mistake is that when i get or start losing that zone feeling i continue shooting trying to get it back. What i am doing though is programming my mind to remember my heisitaion where i cant get the trigger to go off. It makes it harder to reprogram the right way.

Some of my best consistency has been where i shoot shorter sessions and stop while that zone is there. Ive gone for a while where my shooting was great. Sometimes i start shooting though and when the groups open up i get frustrated and continue when i should quit. Then i struggle to grasp that zone again and relearn.

Hope that makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.