Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how do you make yourself mentally tough in a tournament? How do you stop yourself from thinking about other people such as your competition? I want to take it to the next level but my mental toughness at tournament is what i think gets me when I am at a tournament. I would love to have the advice.

Meuniermn

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
m ........ I am a poor one to post an answer , seeing as how I do the same thing , but - if you start worring about " who " is at the tourny - they have already beat you ... dont worry about the other guy .. shoot each arrow 1 at a time that is the only thing you can control ... arrows already shot can not be changed and arrows to be shot will be dealt with at that time you shoot them , if someone shoots better than you and you have done your best , congratulations to them and you have had a good tourny ..... you can not control how others shoot , just take care of your own business & you will be fine ....... good luck :p ia bhtr

·
Registered
719 Posts
do WORRY BE HAPPY RELAX HAVE FUN and you might just out do your self

runawaysXs

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
You need to realize that you aren't really shooting against anyone but yourself. Set goals for yourself. I don't mean winning Vegas or the Florida ASA. I mean set goals by score. Like shoot a 300 and 25 X's or shoot clean at the ASA shoot. If you meat your goal you will be sucsessful and it might put you in positions to win. You can't worry about what everyone else is doing you need to worry about you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you're in a tournament, just remember to be anything but fine...

Freaked out
Insecure
Nauxious
Emotional

After you get over those, it's all down hill:D

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
when things go bad...

I just think of the last time my wife REALLY p#$%^@ me off....and then, the kill zone just comes naturally!:D :p LOL.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
-Shoot more tourny's. Eventually it will feel like practice.

-When shooting with friends have some sort of competition just to get use to competing against others.

-Have someone else score and DO NOT look at your score. This way you wont find yourself at the line thinking "I only need to shoot a 9 here to keep my avg" (or whatever).

-Dont worry about who else is there. Keep your mind and your eyes on your target and your equipment only. When not looking at your target look down at your feet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think the answer to your question is not going to be found on the day of the tournament. Rather, it is in the many weeks, months, and years before hand.

Set small goals in everything you do. For example, a goal for getting to the gym a few times a week or working out someplace. Make goals there, like increase the number of repetitions by ten and weight by ten. Have goals to visualize throughout the day, and other mental training techniques.

Next, when shooting at the tournaments, say, "I have reached those goals and gone to the gym when I had many excuses and improved in the gym. If I can do it in the gym I can do it on the line"

Just my humble opinion,

MatrixMan

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am returning to competitive archery but I will give you some thoughts from my days of shooting olympic style smallbore rifle at the NCAA level.

1.) as stated by others - you are shooting against yourself not other competitors or teams. Focus your attention on the things that you can control...your breathing, your aim, your release, your follow through. make yourself a mental checklist that during the weeks and months leading up to the tournament you repeat over and over again so that when you do go to the tournament it will keep your mind foucsed on the task at hand.

2.) one thing we were taught that sounds corny but works is to visualize...play over and over in your mind all the things mentioned in point one...visualize meeting your goals (i.e. shooting the score that you want) so that when the time comes and you are beginning to suceed the pressure will be reduced because your mind knows it has already accomplished this or that goal.

3.) don't get worked up...too many times I saw fellow shooters at all levels of competition get so wound up at a tournament they could not function...at practice they were loose and relaxed but come torunament time they were wound up like an eight day clock.

I hope some of these ideas help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone,
Thank you for the good advice. With the advice given it is abling me to think of what I need to do to make myself meet my goals and set forth new ones. Thanks again.
Meuniermn

·
Registered
210 Posts
This One You Can Use for Life !!

I learned from a very smart person many years past to ONLY WORRY ABOUT THOSE THINGS YOU CAN CONTROL.
Not that this make me a better Archer it just makes my life much happier.
Good Luck
Cityboy

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You have to have a good mental program, I'm with Capo on his link. If you just get Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning In Mind"
that is a start, great book & easy to read. He has a great mental program you can get into if you are real serious about it.
Also try a relaxing tape at www.vectorstudios.com
Pizonarcher :)

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
With Winning in Mind

Get the book "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Basham. It has great info on the mental aspects of preparing for competition and performing at your best in the stress of competition. You've got what it takes girl! Just belive in yourself and trust the shot.
Jbird

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definately have to try and get the book to read.. Sounds like it will help me to prepare for tournaments better and the types of things to do the night before a big tourny to prepare myself..
Thanks, Meuneirmn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts