Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am FITA shooter with compound bow for first season. And I have reached the stage, where I think my shooting technics is moreless ok (not brilliant), but I have troubles to shoot 3 arrows equally well.
I am able to make two good shots but the third is keen to be bad one. After good shot it is hard to be calm and make next normal shot. But after bad shot it is quite easy to make again good one:)
So I ask for your experience: how you got ride of that kind of problem?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I have had that same problem. you shoot a 10 and get too exited. how to get rid of it? practice more. what happens is your head thinks, wow I got a 10. You have to trick your mind and think you get 10's all the time so when you do, you will not get exited. this weekend I shot a 344 at 70m. My last 2 ends, as well as the first were 59's. I missed the first arrow each end. With some practice you will get the hang of it. don't think about the score, think about a good shot. It is very simple. Good luck!

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
Pryyt -

There's no simple answer, you have to find a way to get into your own zone. Basically it's a way of maintaining focus. I used to have the opposite problem, after a few good shots, I'd fall into a false sense of security.

I pretty much try to take each shoot, one at a time. Each one is new and requires full attention. Again, how you get there is something you have to find out for yourself, just because something works for one, it may not necessarily work for another.

OK, since you asked, here's what I do. After a bad shot, what do you do. Stop, take a deep breath, and start over, without the msitake, hopefully. Well, do the same thing after a good shot. Stop, reasses and do it again, this time repeating the "mistake" that got you the 10, ;) .

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Check out "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Basham, this should give you a good start. You may want to look into something a little more technical later on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! As I thought, there is no easy ways to solve that problem. But I think I got some ideas to try.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i'm shooting with a bow for the second year and two weeks ago i broke my record on 70m - 341! i was shooting "pretty" well but in one round i've made 53, but all other round were from 57 - 59! the round that i made 53 i started with x, 10, than i shot 8 and i got to nervous and than i shoot another 8, 8 and 9 at the end! next day i found a cure for that (it works for me), when i made a bed shot i let down the bow and relax for couple of seconds and i tell myself in my head: "Calm down and relax"!

hope it hepls!

my 0.02$

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
become the arrow

im with viper. just shoot one arrow at at time and forget about what just happened or what may happen. i put everything into the task at hand which is to shoot the shot i am currently building, the best i can.

dont forget to smile and tell yourself this is suppose to be fun. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts