Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a couple questions for all you Merlin owners out there.

1. If Merlin brought out a 3 track Fury X / Wedel style cam of their own, how many of you girls and guys would be willing to switch ?

2. How many would order a new Merlin bow with a 3 track cam over what's available from Merlin right now ?

My answer to the the above questions is absolutely YES! ;)
Merlin listens to their customers.
If you want the 3 track cams, reply to this thread.
Whether your answer is yes or no, give your reason for or against.
I will give my reason "FOR" later.
All replies, appreciated.

Sag.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sag, when I was shooting Merlins several years back I talked to Ben and asked about the possibility of them introducing a triple track wheel. He said that they had no intentions of doing so.
Of course, enough demand might change his mind!

Sean

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Here is my thoughts on the wendells from another thread...

Whats not to like about a adjustable shoot through twin cam thats avaliable in 55 - 65 and 75 % let off AND has an adjustable wall ( with new modules) from very soft to very hard AND you can take one side ( module) off and shoot with a cable guard if you like AND the machining on these things are the best..

AND.... Hey!!

Why don't I have them on all my bows????

Guess what my vote is!!
:D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I've been asking for them for a coupla years now, even talked a bit with Chris about some design ideas.

I'm starting to lose hope in Merlin putting out a 3 track. :(

.....will be......forced to.....take matters........into.....my own.......hands..............

·
Registered
642 Posts
I guess I'm not seeing the benefits of them changing what they have now. I've got a SuperNova with Rapid2's and shoot-thru and have no issues or can see anything that would make it better. Maybe I'm missing something :confused:

·
CottonHeadedNinnyMuggins
1,244 Posts
If they built it...

I'd buy a new merlin with the 3 track system.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Merlin has soooo many option. I would be very surprised if they do not introduce a 3 track system in the near future, and yes I would switch my bows over.......and at least give them a try!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Best System

I would get me one! You would have the best riser out there plus the best shoot through system. Are you kidding. Hands down. Merlin all the way!!

Charlie:D

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Yes!!

I have been wanting that for a few years now too.

Like a few others, I have been thinking of ways to get what I want. But I keep on hoping and waiting. I have thought of getting Wedels for my Supernova, like a few others (and JBird did).

I will probably be buying a new bow in 2004 and this may be a factor.

Ps: I am not sure if money/licensing is the big issue with not going to 3-track. It would not be that much more to actually make the cams. If you look at Merlin cams, it would only be a matter of an additional peg (or a double grooved longer peg to be precise) and a small lobe area on the other side, then modules could go on each side.

Pps: I am willing to bet that everyone who uses their current shoot-through system would go the 3-track way if available instead, given the option.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
"If you build it, they will come."

·
Registered
788 Posts
i don't own a merlin,but if they came out with that kind of cam i would be interested.i shoot martin bows and love the X cams,but merlin do make a nice looking bow.and from what i have seen the bows can shoot.seeing as i'm in the u.k. i have the advantage of buying them cheaper than bows made in america,which is another selling point for me.

·
Registered
719 Posts
if thay want to stay with the joneses whit one of the best cams there is

the thing is we/us are putting tham on there bow anyways!

runawaysXs

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would buy one . No cable guard - no cam lean .
My backup bow is a Scepter II w/ Fury X cams . Tuning is easier with 3 track. Cable wear is eliminated. Love both bows. If I EVER got my hands on a Supernova with that handle to place my hand on and a 3 track cam - ohhh myyy.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Since I have bought a Merlin every year for the last 3 years it would probably be my next bow in 2004 (if it had the cams), I have been looking hard at the Wedel cam anyway.
Pizonarcher. :)

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Merlin and X Cams

I have been asking about X cams for a year and half. I was told that they might be coming out with them and then I was told that that project had been put on the back burner. A small company can deal with just so much variety in their line and it becomes counter productive. It looks to me like they decided to put all their effort into the Omega cam and who can blame them after all the hoopla the Hoyt cam and half has created. I already had a Super Nova and I liked the look of the riser and the geometry. I am completely happy with my Super X that Dave Barnsdale created for me. Taking a Super Nova and doing the conversion I did is not a real cheap deal. I certainly would never buy a Super Nova knowing that I was going to convert it. Of course I think the Wedels will fit the stock Merlin limbs and that is not a bad deal. But adding limbs and Wedels to the Super Nova is not. After seeing Dave's work, if I did not have a Merlin to convert, I would definitely just buy Daves new Ultimate X instead. It is a beautiful bow and you can get it anodized or in custom colors with a wide choice of limb lengths, styles, and materials. His limbs are the best I have seen. This would be a lot less expensive than trying to build the ultimate Super Nova. By the way when Dave was building my bow he told me that the geometry of my Super Nova riser and his riser are almost identical. Is the X-Cam better than the various cam and half designs that are available? I think it is for the following reasons; no cable guard torque, no cam lean or uneven side loading on your bushings and axles, X-Cam bows jump straight at the target without having to use offset weights to get them to do it, and last but not least, X cam bows are not only easy to tune with no bow press required, they are easy to tell when they are not in perfect tune (unlike the cam and half bows). If I was guessing, I would guess that Martin will bring modular adjustability to the Fury X cams which will be a great improvement. I LOVE Martin bows and the only thing that made me build my project bow instead of waiting for the new Martins is that I doubt that they will offer a deflex bow in their line and, in the past, the bulk of their premium bows were not offered in short draw lengths(23"-26"). So......for those who already have Merlins and want X-Cams and/or a different a to a than is available, I highly recommend Dave Barnsdales conversion. For those who don't already have a Merlin, I would recommend that you take a close look at Dave's Ultimate X. Either way, you will not be disappointed.
Jbird

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have been asking "my" Archery shop to keep pestering Merlin about the 3-track cam they have/had in the works. I would convert my present shot-through to the new cams as soon as the 3-track cam was made available. (GRIV put a bug in my ear the other night in the Chat Room about the added weight of Merlin's shoot through system. )

If Merlin does not come out with the 3-track cam this year, I will be talking to Barnsdale about limbs and cams. I appreciate my Super Nova too much to let it go easily.

Keefe

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
MAYBE, but I'm so happy with my SuperNova and Max3000 with the OMEGA systems on them, that it would be a REALLY DIFFICULT choice to make.

The OMEGA system, to me draws and holds very similar to what I remember the old Force Draw wheels did, and FOR ME, that means an absolutely solid hold center up in the bullseye - Unless I start to go soft on tension, but then all I have to do is make sure I PULL again, and the site centers up.

No balancing or timing issues with the OMEGA system that I have noticed so far either.

The Merlin "T-wheels" are great as well, but not as nice (IMHO) as the OMEGAS.

I do miss the shoot-thru system, but the cable guard setup I"m able to use with the OMEGA cams has minimal vane clearance and it shoots just fine - and WITHOUT any side stabilization, I'm not having any difficulties with side torque - the bow is going at the target just like I like it to do.

I know that the MERLIN conversions are normally a whole heap LESS in cost than the competitors out there, and delivery times are a whole bunch SHORTER as well.

But, whatever turns a person's crank, I guess.

field14:cool:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts