Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to clear the air on this part, here is an official statement from Ben Jones at Merlin Bows--

Quote--
There seems to be some confusion over who makes the Pro-Fusion limbs for Merlin. We are very proud of our limbs, and so I thought it best to give everyone the story behind them, just so there is no confusion.

The Pro-Fusion limb system is a completely new method of making bow limbs, developed and manufactured entirely in the UK. The development process was a team effort between 3 different parties over many years.

These people were Merlin Bows, Neil Dykes and Gary Heinz. Without the input of all 3 the Pro-Fusion limb project would have failed.

Neil Dykes invented a new method of moulding composites to optimize materials after his years as a project leader developing composite aircraft structures at Cranfield University. (The UK College of Aeronautics)

Gary Heinz is the owner of an established UK based company specializing in the weaving and supply of hi tech fabrics for the composite industry all over the world. Gary and Merlin have worked together for over 25 years, right back to when Merlin produced their first compounds in 1975. Merlin have continually been working with Gary to develop new limb techniques right from day one, but the new method of manufacture invented by Neil gave an opportunity to utilize materials in a bow limb never before possible.

We all decided to combine our expertise in our relevant fields to adapt this new technology to a bow limb.

Gary Heinz weaves the raw materials into fabrics for the bow limbs at his factory. Neil Dykes designs the fabric composition, and uses his specialized equipment to mould the 1.5 meter panels at his factory. Merlin designs the limb shapes, tests them, manufactures the mould tools and turns the 1.5 meter panel into bow limbs at their factory.

Merlin, Neil and Gary are jointly marketing this new bow limb for use by other bow companies, as a substitute to what is currently available. That is why you may begin to see other bow companies utilizing the same Pro-Fusion limb system on their bows.

If you have any questions, please send an email to [email protected] and I will be happy to help.

There is "the rest of the story";). Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
541 Posts
With the exception of anodizing (and maybe strings), it's my understanding that Merlin machines and manufacturers every main bow component within their factory. That's a big plus in my opinion as their QA/QC will be consistent throughout.

·
Registered
829 Posts
mirlin

I have bought bows direct from Merlin, going to the factory and getting fitted with the bow, when you go there, they show you around the whole factory, and you see all parts of the bow making process, the bow is made on site;) you can have the exact bow limb poundage you want, when you have your bow you can shoot it in and then make an appointment to go back and they will help you tune it:cool:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Perfect post, Kevin!

Scoobs

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Pinwheel,

Thanks for this interesting post.
I already knew some of this information from talking with Ben and Chris by email in the past.
But this post explains everything.
Outstanding idea to post it here! ;)

Sag.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Folks,

just a question for the protocol:

What other manufacturers are going to use those great Merlin-limbs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts