Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merlin makes some great bows that are drop dead gorgeous to look at and great to shoot as well but anyone who owns one for more than 30 days knows that the silver paint they put on the limbs is soft and extremely prone to scratches and gouges. Has anyone looked into having the limbs repainted? Can the Silver be stripped off and repainted with a more durable finish??
Thanks,
Jbird

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!!!

All true except the tatoos. I don't have any.;)
Jbird

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Touch Up....Smuck Up

I don't want to touch them up. I want to get rid of that soft paint and replace it with a durable finish. Any ideas from someone who has done this?
Jbird

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
While I agree that the Merlin paint is a bit soft, this year's Max3000 limbs are much improved. I've had my Max3000 for several months now, and used the dickens out of my aluminum bow stand (wrapped on the sharp edges with layers of foam and duct-tape) and I don't have ANY scratches on the limbs from that, nor are there any from the bow case, etc.

It would be nice if Merlin does have a means of getting the owners some 'touch-up' paint however.

I've found over the years that nearly all the bow limb paints are very, very soft and mar very easily, IMHO, the Merlin paints aren't really any worse than most others, and better than some.

One of the worst things to do is to have OFF! or any insect repellent on your hands and then handle your bow by the limbs - - guaranteed to mar up or ruin your paint finish. I keep nearly anything that is 'spray' in nature away from the limbs and synthetic string material, just as a matter of common sense and caution.

Bow limb touch-up paint - that is a great idea!

field14:D

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom

I have one Super Nova and two Max 3000's and they all have scratches and/or chips on the edges of the limbs. I don't treat my bows rough as you know. Tonight I was out shooting and leaned my Max 3000 against a folding chair to go get my arrows and the bow slid over and put a 3" scratch on the bottom limb.
That would never have scratched my Phantom limbs. Contrast that with the Carbon limbs before they started putting that silver paint on them. If the English government won't let them use the hardening agent that makes the finish durable, they should send them out and have them finished where the right chemicals can be used and then assemble them. I know the Merlin limbs are made by Greenhorn but I don't know where they are painted.
Jbird

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
JBird--

You certainly are something else... Bottom line--- If you don't like the bows, don't shoot them. But stop with the undermining already, you are starting to sound like you work for Martin, hehe!:rolleyes: Even Jimmy is more subtle at times! :D

Yes, we all know Merlin's silver limb paint is a bit softer due to the restrictions that are implied on them, and steps ARE being taken to help with this even as we speak. BUT, I have to agree with Tom, if you are careful it is of no huge consequence. Mine are fine also, and I'm certainly not "dainty" with my equipment! If you know that the silver paint is softer, well then you gotta be smarter than what you are working with--- simply don't be "hogging" on it, or bashing it into something, or letting it slide across a metal chair edge! THAT is NOT the bows' fault! I hang mine on club and range hooks everywhere, and have yet to have marks on the inside of the limb where it rubs/sits on them.

*****VERY IMPORTANT******

Also for everyone's info, MERLIN MAKES GREENHORN LIMBS, not the other way around!:eek: Merlin purchases high tech materials made in the UK, then the limbs are moulded and processed by Merlin Bows, in special moulds and machinery made by MERLIN BOWS. If anyone has questions concerning these processes, feel free to contact myself or the tech dept at Merlin bows. [email protected]

In a perfect world, everything would be just that. Until then, no matter what companies' bows we shoot, there will be some compromises to be made on that perfection because NO-ONE builds a perfect bow yet.;) BUT, here's the contrast--- I'd much rather be worrying about a scratch in the limb paint caused by my own hand than about the whole limb blowing up, or riser cracking in half, or cams leaning over, or a hundred other issues that are truly pertinent and potentially dangerous that simply are NOT an issue with these Merlin bows. (Wouldn't you?)

All depends upon how you look at it.:)

Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
577 Posts
Pinwheel 12

After a year and a half of hearing your criticism of other bow brands, and how no other bow can stack up to the Merlin, it seems you are having a hard time with the facts people are listing on Merlin bows.
We know you sell Merlin and they make a very good bow, but don't get on JBird for letting us know about issues with Merlin bows that might help others.
You have spent a lot of time in the past giving us your opinion on the problems with the new Hoyt cams and other things, but you don't seem to want to hear of any problems with the Merlins.
INFORMATION is why we are all here and we need everyones opinions to make our decisions wisely.
JBird thanks for your input and thanks to all the others for your views and opinions on the products you use and try.

Good shooting ,
David

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't know :rolleyes: I've had a SuperNova for a year now and have NO scratches or scuffs on my limbs :eek: I generally don't even put it in a bow case. When I go to the club I leave it setup and just set it in my Xtra-Cab of my pickup...It's a smooooth drivin' FORD :p ..... AND I use a plastic PRo-Pod with felt and have NO scratches from it either :eek:

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pinwheel

I never said I didn't like Merlins. I own three of them. DUH........
I agree, the least little mention of a problem with a Merlin and you fly to defend them. Get over it. I tell the good and the bad about all my bows. I have mentioned several things I would like Martin to change also like more draw length range on their bows on the shorter end, modular adjustment for the Fury cams, and
add a deflex riser to the model mix. And for your information, the bow did not slide down a "sharp edge", it slid down a round tube
with no "sharp edge" on one of those chairs you collapse and put in a cloth bag. The truth is this silver paint is not just slightly soft, it is REAL soft. All I wanted to know is if anyone has had their limbs repainted and where or how to do it. By the way, Ben emailed me that the RP6 cams for Suzi were ready and that he is mailing them to me. I think this is exceptional to agree to do this even though I ordered the cams, strings, etc. expecting a 24" amo draw length as I was told originally. No one or company is perfect and Merlin is better than a lot of them. Merlin can compete quite well without sitting on the pedestal you try to keep them positioned on. ;) I do appreciate your assistance in getting the ball rolling on the RP6 cams.
Jbird

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
David,
You are right on target.

I too have heard all the hype about the merlin bows being the crown jewel of bows. I have a supernova the is a really nice bow but I will say that from a physical appearence standpoint it is no better than my ScepterII or other hoyt and PSE bows that I have owned.

If I were to buy another compound bow it would be a martin scepterIII or the Barnsdale ultimateX. I could go on with many other things that merlin could improve on but maybe my idea of perfection is gauged of a different scale than others.

The merlin supernova is a sweet shooter.

I will catch hell for this...

Stan
:D

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Jay,

I have a friend who manages a factory Benz autobody shop. I've had him paint a few risers for me, all with standard paint.... great results. I have discussed the issue of painting limbs with him, although we have not tried it, he seems to think it would not be a problem. Did mention that a fair degree of flex agent would have to be added to the paint to give it the elasticity that would be needed due to the limbs movement. And that should add a little to full cure times, but otherwise he did not see any downside. The paint, which I believe is a urethane based product, he uses is made by Standox.

I suggest you bring the limbs to a reputable shop in your area and ask the same questions.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Guys-

I have no issues with anyone stating problems on the Merlin or any other bow, but let's get real here---realistically, there isn't a bow out there that does not scratch or chip limb paint. Some are soft (Merlin) some are hard and brittle and chip easily, some flake to beat the band. (insert two or three top manufacturers' names here) Very few hold up well to any kind of abuse to be honest.

Bottom line is that this is a very minor issue at best, and as I stated before no-one builds a perfect product. ;)

I see no need to try and crucify me now because I tried to stand up for the bows I believe in and explain this, or to correct the assumption that Greenhorn builds Merlins' limbs, when they do not.

Darn right I put these bows on a "pedestal"--- because they deserve to be there, IMHO. If you set a Supernova next to any other bow on the planet and bring people who are not biased in any way and ask them which bow they prefer just by asthetic value, there is no doubt in my mind which would win. I've yet to see a person that ahsn't seen one for the first time and not gone "wooow". This is nothing more than MY opinion, but I am certainly entitled to it, as you are yours. Whatever you all individually think is entirely up to you, and we are all entitled to discuss/debate this till the cows come home, no biggie.:D

But at the end of the day, I'll still think they deserve to be on the "pedestal" you think I put them on. After having been around this sport and industry for a long time now and having shot virtually every bow made at one time or another, it'll take more than you guys' opinion to change my mind on what I feel makes a great bow, and what does not, and who builds them, and who does not.;) Enjoy the sport, and shoot what you choose to.

Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Hey ya'll!

I have not had any problems with limb scratches on my Max2000 limbs since I got it in February and believe me, this bow has been everywhere from when I just lean it up against the wall at a club (I do not hang on hangers - I like my cables that much), to it being shot indoors and out, in the backwoods of our club to shoot my 70 meter shots to it just being thrown in the back of my truck in a quick jaunt to the indoor range for practice. I had more nicks and scratches on my first set of limbs on my Hoyt Sapphire than I did on my Merlin. And I love my bow so much - I just put my order in for a new SuperNova for indoor shooting.

All bows have flaws and if we represent a product either by shooting them, selling them or shooting for them naturally we are gonna be a bit biased. I will be the first to say I have had issues with all bow companies but always in the end good prevails out of it.

If you guys really were not as happy with your your bows - trust me - you all would not be shooting them! Good shooting!

Scoobs

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kevin

I agree, the Super Nova is the best looking bow I have ever seen and I feel it is one of the best indoor bows available anywhere.
But everytime I mention something on here you don't have to take it as a personal attack on Merlins. I wouldn't have bought the Max 3000's if I had not been so impressed with the SN. When the discussion started on their service getting a little overwhelmed with the new influx of orders, I received six emails from Merlin owners complaining about the same type of problems.
Since I have mentioned the soft paint, I have received three emails form Merlin owners confirming the problem as well as an PM from a large Merlin dealer saying that his customers are complaining about the chipping and scratch problems with the finish. As far as who makes the limbs, I was told Greenhorn made the limbs for Merlin. If Merlin makes the limbs for Greenhorn that wasn't even the point. The point is that the finish needs to be more durable. One of the things this forum can do
is bring things to light that need improvement. There are probably more Merlins on this forum than in the average state and
the collective experience of these owners can bring valuable input for product development. The people here are mostly experienced shooters who aren't under any allusions that someone is making a bow without flaws. Some problems with bows are major, some are minor. I don't think Merlin has any significant problems with their bows. The soft finish is an aggravation that people who own a bow of this caliber shouldn't have to put up with. I am sure the product will continue to improve and I have no doubt that this will be addressed too if people are allowed to voice an opinion so that it comes to their
attention. Pretending problems don't exist doesn't make them go away. We are all adults here and realize that life is not a picnic
with all the noodle salad you can eat. In a word. Relax.
Jbird

Jbird

·
Registered
984 Posts
No matter how small a problem is, a person should be able to come on here, detail it, and ask for solutions, without being reprimanded. I've looked at the Merlins and noticed several little problems. Nothing that would keep me from buying the bow, but annoyances none the less.

If Merlin wants customer input so they can improve, then trying to silence a gripe on a public forum is just another poor sales effort. Most of us are intelligent enough to determine what we consider a serious problem and decide if we want to put up with it on our bows. Every bow manufacturer has some problems from time to time. How they handle it is very important. So is the demeanor of their representatives. I remember a problem with paint coming off Martin bows a while back. The poster was greeted by a Martin rep with an apology, and the bow as taken back and the problem corrected. Let me ask everyone. Which way would you like to be treated if you come onto this forum with a problem? Would you prefer a polite response that takes care of the problem or would you rather hear people tell you it's no big deal, and it didn't happen to their bow, and that you should quit complaining about the best bow in the world? I certainly know which response I'll respect.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
No Offense

Hey Jbird-

Hindsight is always 20/20, but take a look at the first couple lines (after the flatterly of Merlin) of your original post, I think it could have been restated a little bit to take some of the roughness out of the comment, and that could be where some of P12's defensiveness is coming from, and who could blame him, his livelyhood rests in these as well as in the other bows he sells.

I also don't think he's put Merlin on a pedastal as high up as some of the Mathews Whackos have their Mathews bows, he he, just kidding guys.

Btw, I do own a Max3000 and that thing shoots sweet, I can't even look at another mfg without thinking "how will this bow stack up against my Max3000?" Too bad its got those darn orange (instead of copper) cams & limb pockets, j/k P12, couldn't careless about the color of the bow, it is one sweet shooter!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have a max2000 that is great.. got a max3000 ordered
so I must like Merlin a lot.. but, I find absolutely no fault
with what jbird has stated..
this is an information forum for the betterment of archery.
I thought Jbird was completely within his right to ask
about a cure for a problem he was having with his
equipment(no matter how minor one might think the
issue is, that's really not the point).. If he didn't like
Merlins ,I don't think he would own 3 and I don't
think he would be concerned about fixing a problem,
he'd just sell them..
So, there's no reason to get defensive about any of
this.. He has never stated he didn't like them and
I read no bashing of the product in his statements..

I like Merlin products very much, but I'm still glad
folks come on here and take the time to discuss
issues and cures with the products they "enjoy"

Thanks everyone for the input on a great product..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts