Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After shooting tons of tournaments and leagues all summer (shooting great) and shooting in my backyard and least 4xs a week. My equipment is tuned and softball size groups at 40 yrds with my montecs. I had a nice doe at 25 yrds tonight and hit her to far back (now it is raining.) My only saving grace is I set in the stand for an hourafter the shot , got out and went out the opposite direction after getting my arrow.

Wish me luck. She should have bedded down within 50 or 60 yrds. It is pretty thick.
ps Last year was the first deer I ever hit and didnt get and I have taked ALOT. wouldn't you know it was a 160" 10 point. I hope I didn't do it again

· RuffLight and Bsquare
16,943 Posts
Gut shots can be deadly if you hit the liver or major arteries.
I gut shot a buck three years ago and he went 10 yards and laid down and he took his last breath within two minutes of being hit. Watched the whole thing from my stand...

You may get lucky...

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Be out there first thing in the morning. Best of luck to you.

· Registered
2,946 Posts
Ill guarantee you that if you walked the other way out she is probably bedded close.. Give it til morning even if its raining and then go look...

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

I hope I get her. I am still SICK about the back last year. I have taken around 40 plus deer with my bow and last year was the first one I didnt find. I never understood how it happens NOW I DO.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Good luck, you did the right thing by backing out and you should find her pretty close in the morning.

· Registered
2,427 Posts
Gut shot is lethal I am sure you know. They can live more than 7 hours with a hole in their belly---- but you have done everything right. Even if you don't have blood tomorrow she should not be far. Scour the area in a grid fashion if you are not immediately successful----she is dead it is just a matter of where.

· Registered
1,135 Posts
Don't beat yuorself up too much... hunt long enough (bow or firearm) and it happens to all of us as some point... all part of the game. Now, go find your deer before she get's ripe...:wink:

· Registered
138 Posts
If you got out without being detected, you did the best thing that you could do in order to recover your deer. Assuming you have a pretty good line on where this deer went, I would slip into your stand sight as quiet as you can and see if you could take up the trail. hopefully it doesn't rain too hard so you have something to go by. I would go in by myself initially to at least survey the scene, and if you have a buddy available, perhaps put him on an escape trail a couple hundred yards from your stand. If you cant locate the deer or if the sign is washed away, it might be trime for a grid search with a few people.

Keep in mind the water sources and bedding areas as that is where she may try to get to. Once she lays down, she shouldnt get up if not pushed.

Good luck.

· Registered
4,544 Posts
It will be cool enough tonight that the meat should still be O.K. She shouldn't be more then 100 yards. If the temps would be in the 60's I would wait a couple hours and try and find her versus leave her all night.
Lost some good meat one year leaving one out in the mid 60's. :mad:

· Registered
1,376 Posts
dont beat yourself up. in fact, congradulate yourself for BACKING OUT!! id say 90% of gutshots are not found because people failed to do what you did. montecs leave a nasty hole, and gutshots kill. go get er in the morning!

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the replys. I am going out at 8:00 this morning. I'll post the results good or bad.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No

3 hrs this morning. Took a break and took my lab back out for 11/2 hrs. Nothing. We had bad winds in Ohio a few weeks ago and there was tons of trees down. I did the best I could I am going to puke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.