Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought a switchback this summer and wanted to set it up with all the goodies. I ordered vapor trail string/cable and a 1/4" meta peep after hearing good things about them. I have been shooting for about a month now and the peep keeps rotating on me. I understand that there might be a little change when the string is first broken in, but it seems like it should be done moving by now. I took it back to the proshop and they twisted the string a little to get it to line up better but it didnt last long. They said they have been having problems keeping the meta peeps lined up. Is this true? What can I do about this problem? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
same problem here would like to have a answer my proshop told me that this was normal with this kind of peep :confused:

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Mine has done fine since my string broke in. I'm not understanding what your pro shop told you. I can't really see how it would be the peep causing the problem. Somebody tell me if I am wrong here but the string will cause the peep to rotate, the peep cannot rotate itself. Somebody please elaborate here.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Droptine4 said:
not the peep causing the problem but the style of having no tube

Say WHAT???

I shoot without tubing on all my bows and my peeps do not move.

My guess is your bow is still out of tune, take it to someone that knows how to tune it properly. If it is not bow tuning then you are still getting string stretch and I find that hard to believe if you are shooting VTs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Your string has to be stretching still.A peep is a peep it doesn't matter which brand it is.It's not like one brand of peep causes more string creep than another.I dont even bother installing a peep until I've got 100 shots or more through the bow.If the strings are new,just keep shooting until the peep settles and then twist your string to get it where you want it and it shouldn't move or twist anymore.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
One word .....D-LOOP! ok ok one letter one word.Sean

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
peeps don't cause rotation, strings cause rotation. i think some proshop employees need to go back to school.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My bow is about a month and a half old and I don't know how many shots I've actually got through it. Probably close to a hundred by now but thats just a guess. It came with a Fletcher installed and the peep rotated with every shot. I installed a larger size G5 peep and its still happening after every shot.

As was mentioned earlier, its not the peep, its the string. I have no experience with VT strings but I'd say it needs a little more breaking in before things "settle."

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tuning help!!

Thanks for the replys. I must have over 200 shots through it so it really should be done stretching. I figured it moved originally due to stretch and thats why I went back to the pro shop to have it re adjusted. Now that it moved again - i am wondering.

So let me get this straight...if things are tuned correctly and the string is done stretching, a peep should not move regardless?

If that is true something must be out of tune. What are some things I could check for tuning issues? I have had problems finding anywhere to take my bow where someone really knows what they are doing. If I could learn myself and get the proper equipment I would rather do that than rely on someone who tells me that this is normal.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
40,174 Posts
rommer1012 said:
Thanks for the replys. I must have over 200 shots through it so it really should be done stretching. I figured it moved originally due to stretch and thats why I went back to the pro shop to have it re adjusted. Now that it moved again - i am wondering.

So let me get this straight...if things are tuned correctly and the string is done stretching, a peep should not move regardless?

If that is true something must be out of tune. What are some things I could check for tuning issues? I have had problems finding anywhere to take my bow where someone really knows what they are doing. If I could learn myself and get the proper equipment I would rather do that than rely on someone who tells me that this is normal.

Thanks for any advice!

its probably more of a poorly built string issue than a tuning issue

I have thousands of shots and three seasons on my 452 winners choice and peep is still perfect

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
sean said:
its probably more of a poorly built string issue than a tuning issue

I have thousands of shots and three seasons on my 452 winners choice and peep is still perfect
I need to know how you do that?? peep or no peep. After a year of practice and a few hunting seasons all one year with serious use, my WC (all I use) is on the ragged edge. Special wax or what?? I like the string and have found nothing that compares, but is a season equal to a year? or Spring-Summer-Fall?

I have no problems with peep rotation after a brief break in session with WC

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Call Vaportrails and tell them about your problem. VT strings don't take long to set in. I've order 6 sets between my girlfriend's bows, my own bows, and my friend's bow. I've never had to shoot more than 50-60 shots to settle the strings. In most cases, I'd put on the strings, fix on a peep, shoot it fingers 10-15 times, and that was more than enough for the peep to stop rotating. I'd then tune in the bow, set the peep inline, mark the cams, and I've yet to have any peep twisting or creeping issues.

My girlfriends hunting bow has had well over 2000-3000 shots, her target bow probably over 5000, my own hunting rig over 5000, and my spots bow has a good deal over 5000 shots in the past 4 months alone.

VT's service is phenomenal and I'm willing to bet they'll do all they can to fix you up. Just called them up myself 2-3 weeks back about the static yoke on my girlfriend's Turbotec. Wanted a floating yoke instead and they built me a brand new buss with floating yoke, no charge. Wasn't even their mistake to begin with. Can't say enough about their CS other than it's unbeatable. :wink:

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Any peep will rotate in a sub par string. For a great string at an awesome price check out Bucknasty strings in the classifieds:)

They are on a level with any string made:)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The string rotate's the peep just go's along for the ride. Try retwisting the string or take one or two strands and put it on the low side. This should help.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
homefries04 said:
peeps don't cause rotation, strings cause rotation. i think some proshop employees need to go back to school.
I totally agree. The string is causing the rotation. If the string has been shot for a while and you are still getting stretch out of it, then you will probably have limited luck on your rotation problem.

I am not fimilar with a Meta peep. If it has two or three runs of strands through it doesn't really matter. Installing a peep changes the twisting of the string, making it unbalanced. To orientate the peep, you many have limited success twisting. To fine tune the orientation move a strand from each groove in the direction you want the peep to rotate. You want to move one strand from one groove to the next. You want to do this is a circular fashion around the string. If one move to each groove doesn't do it then move another to each groove. Keep doing this until you have the orientation you want. Now, go blank bale with the bow about 20 times and observe if the peep wants to rotate. If you can, DO NOT use a D-loop.

If the peep is still rotating then move one strand from one groove to the other. Draw the string and check the rotation. If it lessens you are on the right track. If not move two strands, frorm the last groove back to the first groove. Draw the bow again and see if the rotation lessens. If it does then move another strand in the same manner. With one or two strands moved the peep should stop rotation. After this the peep should remain properly orientated and draw straight. If it doesn't buy a custom string, I make some as well as others.

DO NOT rely on the D-loop to keep the peep straight. It will to a point, but only a small degree and will eventually slip or get move in some way. Also, hunting in different temperatures and humdity can change peep sight rotation on some strings. In honesty, it sounds like you may have a bad string, but I would set it up properly first and see what happens.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Peep rotation is common in "cheaper strings" and that is where the bow tech may need to add some twists or take some out of the string. I have a Vapor Trail on my Trykon and a G5 1/4" peep and it does not rotate at all. In my experience, Winner's Choice strings have zero peep rotation so you may consider one of those.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I currently have the Meta Peep installed and I also have the VT string and cable on my XT. I didn't put the peep in until I had maybe 150 shots into the new string and cable. Then I double checked the specs on the bow and idler lean. Put the peep in place and shot maybe 20 more arrows. Then I needed to switch a strand from one side of the peep to the other. It hasn't moved since. It's been months since then and I shoot at leat 30 arrows a day through it.

I would double check all of the bow specs to make sure it's in tune and if that doesn't work, call Vapor Trail and see if they can help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts