Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think the title is pretty self explanatory. Are their any advantages or is it purely a personal aesthetic choice? I imagine they wouldn't work well with back tension releases.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No advantages. Several drawbacks. Wears out your release, doesn't allow for twist (particularly when using a thumb/hinge). Loud. Heavy and slows down your string.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Back Yard Champion
29,762 Posts
I'd agreed with all the above if they'd used a lot of profanity.....

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
All of the above plus extremely dangerous. They should honestly be illegal, like meth.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
very bad idea... only negatives

Reactions: DJO

·
Registered
936 Posts
I personally do not use one and have never had an interest in them. But, one of the best shooters in our club used them and in our 12 week indoor 300 winter league, he would shoot a 300 each week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of the above plus extremely dangerous. They should honestly be illegal, like meth.
Can you elaborate on that a bit more please? Are you referring to them potentially flying apart if not properly screwed down?

FYI, I have no interest in getting one. Just got back into archery this year after a 15 year hiatus and I don't remember them being around back then.

·
Registered
37,113 Posts
No reason to use one honestly. Rope loops are simple to put on and a way better idea. Lighter and easier on your release. No screws to loosen or worry about a flying hunk of metal.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Can you elaborate on that a bit more please? Are you referring to them potentially flying apart if not properly screwed down?

FYI, I have no interest in getting one. Just got back into archery this year after a 15 year hiatus and I don't remember them being around back then.
Yeah, if they unknowingly come loose or you have a string break caused by dry fire, broken nock, etc you now have a small metal projectile going in an unknown direction at a high rate of speed. There isn't one single advantage to them.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Advantages:
  • Likely to give you a way cooler story in the event that your D-loop lands you in the ER.
  • Also really handy if you want something hardwearing to attach a mouth tab to instead of using a release (not many folks need to use mouth tabs though).
  • Might hit the deer and stun it in the event of a dryfire

Disadvantages:
- Pick any post above after #1 and go from there... Heard of cut hands, cut cables, chipped cable guards and that's before anything properly lets loose.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I went through a brief phase of using them 25 years ago. It's just a pain to get them adjusted right, and they reduce speed, due to added weight. I'm surprised they're still made. They were big before D-loops. Before them, we connected releases directly to strings. D-loops made them obsolete

·
Registered
Hoyt Ventum 33 in wilderness, Easton axis 300, Carter releases, Hamskea, Sitka, Hha
164 Posts
Agree with everyone above. I honestly didn’t even know they still made one. Had one on a bow about 20 years ago but haven’t seen one since.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
I am not a fan, however years ago I sold ton's of them, never had one break, break a string or cause an accident. The one tru fire made was another story that ridiculous thing weighed like 50 grains! Actually had a guy shooting one and it was hitting his rest due to the extra travel of the string with all the weight.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am not a fan, however years ago I sold ton's of them, never had one break, break a string or cause an accident. The one tru fire made was another story that ridiculous thing weighed like 50 grains! Actually had a guy shooting one and it was hitting his rest due to the extra travel of the string with all the weight.
I had a couple Trufire 5 star metal loops break. I believe it was because it was hitting the base of my whisker biscuit. The company sent me a different metal loop and a pack of nocks, but I didn't use them and bought some d-loop pliers. Truball version would always have the screws work loose eventually even with loctite and chew into my serving and move up my string.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts