Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Had one many years ago, swear my release jaws would hang up on it every so often. Tossed it in the trash and never had that issue again.

Ice
No. Nothing but trouble
^^^^^^^^Metal d-loops are not good. They are held together with screws. You miss one screw from coming loose and the metal now becomes a projectile that will go somewhere. Not good.

Shootin and Cussin

Registered
Think the title is pretty self explanatory. Are their any advantages or is it purely a personal aesthetic choice? I imagine they wouldn't work well with back tension releases.
No advantage what so ever. Quite possibly a distinct disadvantage.

Registered
no advantages,...as a matter of fact,...every disadvantage imaginable. stay as far away from them as you can.

Registered
PSE Stinger Max
I'm going to challenge the group opinion just for conversation. Keep in mind I learned how to tie a D loop myself and don't own a metal one.

The mounting bolts for my 77 F body's leaf springs were made out of metal. How much rope would I need to replace them?

In my life I've learned metal, concrete and ropes are not permanent. What does last longer in the conditions bows are kept in, metal or ropes?

I suspect the mounting assembly of the metal D loop are their source of weakness. I'm thinking of plenty of finger size bolts living terrible lives on my mower deck with other bolts or cotter pins or something holding them in place.

As a newb in the bow world I'm actually amazed by rope D loops and the abuse they take. Its a pretty neat set up. I think after dinner I might go shoot now and stare at the poor little fella lol.

Shootin and Cussin
Yep, that was the first step, but the majority of threads I saw were > 10 years old and I wanted to see if there were any advancements in the designs that changed opinions. I figured there's gotta be some reason they're still making them. Guess it's just the profit margin.......

And you really think anything has changed?

Registered
I don't know who makes them nor do I care but here's my take on it. They will never admit that it was an ill-advised idea. Doing so would open themselves to law suits. So instead, they keep selling them to the uninformed, perpetuating problems while remaining squeaky clean. That's why the keep making them.

Registered
I don't know who makes them nor do I care but here's my take on it. They will never admit that it was an ill-advised idea. Doing so would open themselves to law suits. So instead, they keep selling them to the uninformed, perpetuating problems while remaining squeaky clean. That's why the keep making them.
the problem with marketing.... design something and if it sells good enough it is justified whether it is purposefully helpful or not.

Registered
I tried one several years ago . Neat concept . The only problem I had was when I released my arrow , I could hear a "zing" noise . I figured that as bad as my hearing is , the deer could hear it and removed the thing . Tied a string loop on my bows . No problem .

Registered
I tried one several years ago . Neat concept . The only problem I had was when I released my arrow , I could hear a "zing" noise . I figured that as bad as my hearing is , the deer could hear it and removed the thing . Tied a string loop on my bows . No problem .
hhhhhmmm,...neat concept,...except for the noise it made,... huh?. that's like saying a square wheel is a neat concept,...except for the fact that it won't roll.

Registered
Just wanted to say thanks for the info on this everyone. I had been using a metal D loop and I didn鈥檛 even think about these potential problems. I just thought it looked cool!

Registered
Agree with everyone above. I honestly didn鈥檛 even know they still made one. Had one on a bow about 20 years ago but haven鈥檛 seen one since.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Just like a lot of other archery products..... obsolete.

Registered
The only thing worse than metal D loops are the original Tru-Ball "balls", singles or doubles. I remember hitting up an ASA shoot in the early 90s in Roanoke and seeing these things for the first time- WOW. Bought one at the shoot, a few days later it was speeding off somewhere towards the Chesapeake Bay. Bought a replacement, really cinched it down- balls slipped through jaws after awhile as the release failed. Got a replacement, and next time, string failed underneath the ball because you had to cinch it down so tight to keep it from slipping or flying off the string.

I still have a hard time taking Tru-Ball seriously

Registered
hhhhhmmm,...neat concept,...except for the noise it made,... huh?. that's like saying a square wheel is a neat concept,...except for the fact that it won't roll.
That's a rather poor analogy unless you were trying to be funny !

Registered
I have a friend who insists on using one, despite me regularly pointing out all the drawbacks. I cringe every time the thing loosens up, or starts slipping around (which it does REGULARLY). I took it as a small victory when he at least let me tie nock points above and below, and I tied the loop in as best I could at the same time. Still a bad idea... but not my kit, sooooo...

Registered
I'm going to challenge the group opinion just for conversation. Keep in mind I learned how to tie a D loop myself and don't own a metal one.

The mounting bolts for my 77 F body's leaf springs were made out of metal. How much rope would I need to replace them?

In my life I've learned metal, concrete and ropes are not permanent. What does last longer in the conditions bows are kept in, metal or ropes?

I suspect the mounting assembly of the metal D loop are their source of weakness. I'm thinking of plenty of finger size bolts living terrible lives on my mower deck with other bolts or cotter pins or something holding them in place.

As a newb in the bow world I'm actually amazed by rope D loops and the abuse they take. Its a pretty neat set up. I think after dinner I might go shoot now and stare at the poor little fella lol.
Eh about ten feet should do her as long as ya got a good knot that f body will ride like a dream

And no no no on metal d-loop

21 - 40 of 46 Posts