Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a memorandum from June 6th from Michigan DNR . I could be reading this wrong but it looks like after this season starting January 2019 it will be illegal to bait in the entire lower . The article also says a 13 county ban was to start immediately in any county or bordering county where CWD has been found. They give the reason for holding off this season to start the entire lower ban so anyone who’s invested in bait or planted crops to sell bait won’t be out money and time . My phone wouldn’t let me send a copy of letter to this site for some reason so I snapped a few pages for those interested to look at . It’s a 40 page document. I picked the three that spelled out what seems to be the plan . I got no dog in this fight because I don’t bait but it looks like big changes are coming for Michigan. It also bans urine based scent products..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not surprised at this point honestly. They are gonna do whatever they can to stem the tide of CWD, whether it works or not is another story. I live in Jackson county MI and last week we had our 1st cwd positive deer. Its certainly an alarming spread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup I read that about Jackson county last week . I just hope they don’t do what Wisconsin did but it looks like we are going down the same path .

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yup I read that about Jackson county last week . I just hope they don’t do what Wisconsin did but it looks like we are going down the same path .

Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but what did Wisconsin do?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but what did Wisconsin do?

They slaughtered every deer in sight and destroyed the deer herd in a lot of areas in the state . There’s a really good article in last months bowhunter magazine about all the mistakes that were made .

·
Registered
317 Posts
They slaughtered every deer in sight and destroyed the deer herd in a lot of areas in the state . There’s a really good article in last months bowhunter magazine about all the mistakes that were made .

Ah ok I see. It's scary stuff, for hunting, families, and the deer herd itself.

·
Registered
51,117 Posts

That was done with total misinformation on how it is spread. Killing off the deer does not stop it! It's in the soil, in the plants and it will be there for years. To spread it from animal to animal it has to be nose to nose contact or contact with the ground/plant that is infected. By stopping baiting it is not going to stop it or slow it down.
The total ban is more about money than stopping the spread. The state has a hard time getting their cut out of the bait business and that is huge bucks.
That is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If it's anything like WI a baiting ban doesn't really mean anything without enforcement and they don't enforce it, well if someone calls and makes a complaint they might (just maybe) send someone out to take a look. In the end all it really did was punish the law abiding hunters and aid the people that continued to bait while doing nothing to stop the spread of CWD.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Ah ok I see. It's scary stuff, for hunting, families, and the deer herd itself.
Not really. its just new to you so you are not up to date with the incredibly low (and to date, non-existent) risk to humans. Likewise CWD has not been responsible for herd declines. Thus far, it's been the experience of hunters that CWD management by state game agencies has been far worse than CWD itself. WI was a hallmark case. Lets hope MI does not make those same mistakes.

State led CWD efforts have never eradicated CWD carrying deer from the landscape (WI tried and failed).

They have never eradicated the disease.

They have however eradicated many hunters from the sport with scare stories that caused them to leave hunting and never return because of irrational fear. (the goal of leftists)

Baiting and feeding and urine based scent bans WILL DO NOTHING to stop/eradicate/end the eastward migration of CWD in wild herds. It makes us feel like was a humans are doing something since we like to think we are in control.

·
Registered
397 Posts
that's what was said about the tb in north east lower. still there been there for decades. do we really know what the cause is or not?only can do the best we can on the information we have at hand.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
TB and CWD ought not be confused for one another or compared. TB is a bacterial disease that actually can be removed from a wild herd (MN) and it does not have the latency CWD does and the enhanced environmental reservior of CWD prions. TB can be "cleaned" up or removed from surfaces with relative ease.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

Actually most of the areas of that state that the population of deer dwindle to low numbers were in the Northern (non-CWD) zones and that was just a result of shooting too many doe. The herd in those parts is still recovering.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
No, my assumption is that MI hunters will be allowed to congregate deer to the same spot over and over (creating a prion reservoir in the soil) if they call it a bait plot or feed plot or kill plot because using those names will magically prevent the transmission of prions to the soil.

If you dump turnips or carrots on the ground and the deer eat them off the ground, that is bad and will lead to deer shedding prions into the soil but if you grow them and the deer eat them off the ground the prions can't bind with the soil if you declare its a feed or kill plot.

Prions are good like that and are easily tricked with legal definitions.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not really. its just new to you so you are not up to date with the incredibly low (and to date, non-existent) risk to humans. Likewise CWD has not been responsible for herd declines. Thus far, it's been the experience of hunters that CWD management by state game agencies has been far worse than CWD itself. WI was a hallmark case. Lets hope MI does not make those same mistakes.

State led CWD efforts have never eradicated CWD carrying deer from the landscape (WI tried and failed).

They have never eradicated the disease.

They have however eradicated many hunters from the sport with scare stories that caused them to leave hunting and never return because of irrational fear. (the goal of leftists)

Baiting and feeding and urine based scent bans WILL DO NOTHING to stop/eradicate/end the eastward migration of CWD in wild herds. It makes us feel like was a humans are doing something since we like to think we are in control.
Yup I agree politicians and wild life agency’s have killed way more deer then CWD . I do believe Michigan is headed down the same road as Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Baiting & feeding?

Does this mean food plots?
Not sure how you can ban someone from planting something? That's like saying we can't have more than "X" amount of oak trees per acre because it would concentrate the deer too much

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Its been proposed to regulate it and to monitor it so as to test the soils (like they did with mineral lick sites). If a hunter in growing an acre of antler king honey hole, Whitetail institute tall tine tubers, biologic deer clover, Rackmaster seed, Evolved Harvest Bone Collector™ crew, Throw & Gro Radish X-Treme, Horny Buck seed company plotmaster, Pennington rackmaster, its clear they are doing so to attract deer to that concentrated location over and over. Perhaps fees generated from a deer feeding license can be used to fund the CWD research hunters want as a result of those hunters congregating deer to those sites.

If hunters are sincere about wanting to address CWD and address the spread and hunters purposefully congregating deer to the same soil over and over, one would think they would want to step up and do what they can to prevent purposefully congregating deer simply for their advantage as a hunter. Most in the state wildlife community want radishes and turnips dumped on the ground to congregate deer to stop so its not a stretch to think they would support the other ways hunters are supplying radishes and turnips on the ground to congregate deer to the same soil over and over.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts