Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
I live in WA, and over 10 yrs ago they took away bear baiting and hound hunting all in one shot. Numerous efforts were made to get it back, all have failed. Regardless of where you live, ther are probably alot more greeners in the cities than there are hunters. Good luck!

· Registered
6,279 Posts
I found something on Michigan Sportsman Forum that you can provide comments if you can not make these meetings. They have a link that you can follow and email you comments to them. I did today. Not sure if will make any difference but can't hurt especially when the Deer that started it all was at a Deer Farm and not a free ranging Deer. But talk is that they are looking at a hunter that wants to use bait will need a permit to if the ban is lifted but again it is all talk you never know with the NRC...

LFM

· Registered
1,238 Posts
I think if they split the dnr in to it's own division(grandholm combined it)then there will be a better chance of overturning it it was realy just anti hunter groups(peta to be exact)that put pressure on the nrc and if they give the dnr a separate division the nrc won't have as much influence over the deision

· Registered
739 Posts
I have been to a couple meetings about it and it doesnt look promising theres really been no talk from what I have heard of just lifting the ban and going back to open baiting it sounds like if it does come back theres gonna be alot of hoops to jump through to both purchase and sell it,I live in lapeer county and the dnr dont even agree with it here there is a dnr station about a mile from my house and two farmers right here sell bait and all of the dnr officers buy it from him the whole things a joke and another way to make money

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Is this for deer?
Yes it is for deer. Michigan was really big on baiting deer until they banned it about 3 years ago do to a penned deer with CWD. Not sure if there is any validity to this but I heard the deer with the CWD came from WI. If this is the case why can the U.P. still bait and the L.P. can't? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I baited for 2 years when I first started bow hunting and then got away from it, so it doesn't really matter to me. I just think that the people in charge of this state's natural resources are a joke.

· Registered
55,441 Posts
First off this has nothing to do with PETA or anything along those lines-------it's a MONEY THING and an excuse for the state to find a way to make revenue off bait sales.
I really don't have a dog in this fight as I've had better "HUNTS" without it. The ones that cry foul are not hunters in my book you need to put effort into and respect the game your hunting for. If I take a game animal or not I've had an excellent hunt just being there.
If it comes back so be it, but am I going to loose sleep over it nope.

· 300 or bust
13,148 Posts
I've had success with and without, had more fun without

I would like to see baiting come back if only for my mother in laws feed store (lots of people spend money on baiting)

There are alot of hunters that have very little property to hunt on and baiting is the only way for them to have a chance

· Catty Shack
12,561 Posts
I could see where penned up deer can come face to face when feeding - thereby spreading "whatever" much easier. When Michigan last allowed baiting, I recall there was something like a 2 gallon limit and it had to be spread out evenly over a 10' by 10' area - minimizing the close face to face contact. If the DNR kept finding huge consolidated piles of bait in the woods, that could have been the reason for the ban. One awe**** can outweight a whole bunch of attaboys . . .

· Registered
238 Posts
I am not out to start a war here Especially with Michiganders but, I never want baiting back. I dont mind it for kids because it helps to keep the deer still for the shot and gives them more action. Nothing I hate more than sitting there waiting and seeing nothing because someone on the next property has a truck load of bait out there and they are'nt even in there stand. What ever happened to looking a topagrapical's, funnel's, trail's,looking at bedding/feeding areas. Maybe finding an apple tree to pop up a stand near.

· Registered
6,279 Posts
The NRC has always been in control and over the DNR as to what happens with Hunting and Fishing they only combine the DEQ with it to try and lower the costs of running both. The other issue is the NRC is appointted and some are on it for a long time whiles are and none have much in the way of education or experience in Resource Management they are just someone put in place because they know someone. You see this a few years back when one of the new appointees was suggesting that dragging a deer out was going to damage the plants you realized then that they had no background in in resource management.

Also places can sell the bait it is on the hunter to not use it so they don't lose the income of those selling it being it is not taxed because it is AG type stuff (apples, sugar beets, carrots, pumpkins, corn) what you see bagged up at stores and gas stations. Though not as many places since the ban there is still a lot that have it.

As mentioned the deer was brought in illegally as they say it was and thus why but since there has been no deers in the state with it since. But again it is all about the dollar and if they can place some way of making a dollar off it. Maybe by requiring those that use bait have to buy a permit for the usage. And they did have a 2.5 gallon limit spread of a 10 x 10 ft area that was start to try and stop the spread of diseases instead of a large pile out there. (Like TB & CWD)

LFM

· Registered
420 Posts
Keep it banned, been three years of alot better hunting, shooting nicer bucks, and guess what? They actually move during hunting hours. Granted there will always be baiters, but they need to stop the sale of it, cannot stop corn at the co-ops. But once again it is all about money, just like the crossbows now in the state. It seems the state wants to cater to the guys who want the hunt as easy as possible. If the state ever wants to be considered a big buck state, lots of things need to change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.