Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a rumor that it is now legal to feed deer in Michigan again because the law was only written for 2008. I would like to get my feeders back out in the yard since we're having a pretty tough winter. Does anyone out there know if there is any truth to this rumor or if it's just the ol' northern michigan rumor mill again?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Saw in the free press a week ago sunday the baiting/feeding ban for the CWD was a three year ban- nothing on the dnr site tho

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It is now a "permanent" ban. I dont know if they will change their mind down the road, but nothing has changed for the recent future.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
I'm almost positive it is a permanent ban. The bill originally called for a 2008 ban, but the expiration date was removed.

I'd call around before I pulled them back out...

·
Team #2-Bow Brothers
1,706 Posts
On August 25, 2008, the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, confirmed CWD in a deer from a privately-owned facility in Kent County. The confirmation from Ames, Iowa, initiated WCO 3.100a(2). An interim order by the Director was issued on August 26, 2008, implementing a ban on feeding and baiting in the Lower Peninsula. The interim order expires on February 26, 2009.

Maybe this will help. I just pulled it off the DNR website. According to this it expires on Feb. 26,2009. As I said this is on their website as of 1-6-09.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
god i love michigan politics. can you say knee jerk?ive heard that 0 deer have tested positive for cwd,not even the original captive doe tested positive.seems like it was just a way for the state to ban feeding.

·
Registered
174 Posts
god i love michigan politics. can you say knee jerk?ive heard that 0 deer have tested positive for cwd,not even the original captive doe tested positive.seems like it was just a way for the state to ban feeding.
I also heard the government has been using the black helicopters to search for cougars so they are to busy to actually document a case of CWD so they hust made it up.

Brett

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wouldn't be surprised

I haven't heard that the original deer tested never had CWD but I wouldn't be surprised if that was true of the MDNR. I have read that they killed over 400 more deer from the original ranch and several surrounding private game farms and never found another single instance of CWD. Makes you wonder if the original deer ever had it. This is supposedly a terribly contagious disease and yet not another single deer has it? On an enclosed fence game farm? The DNR doesn't know where it came from or how the deer got it.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm surprised how many michigan hunters are against this ban. My opinion is if there was even any question that the disease was in the state, wild or farm deer, do everything possible to make sure it doesn't spread. I don't know about you but i want healthy deer to hunt in 10 years.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Come on guys better safe than a sick state full of deer is the way I feel......:shade: People killed a ton of deer with out baiting this year so what's the problem.. we just have to rely on our skills as hunter again :mg:

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Come on guys better safe than a sick state full of deer is the way I feel......:shade: People killed a ton of deer with out baiting this year so what's the problem.. we just have to rely on our skills as hunter again :mg:
Bingo! That is the problem some people don't know any other form of hunting:(

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
It's a permanent bann in the LP. You can still bait in the UP.
It is a permanent ban in the LP. Stay tuned for the upcoming ban in the UP, as the Director has already sais that this is coming next.
Dan

·
HillsideCustomSlings, LLC
13,394 Posts
I personally don't hunt over bait, but I do like to throw corn, sugar beets, etc. after the season to help them thru the winter and now I can't. I don't care what you're saying about a ton of deer have been killed this year without bait is a lie....there were a ton of people that used bait this year and they all knew that there is a huge shortage of CO's to check up on people using bait and knew they wouldn't get caught so they were doing it anyways.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,162 Posts
Rick is right, we have to protect the herd and bottom line, they make the rules for best interest of the animals we hunt and fish and for all the sportsmen in our state.

We can complain all we want however they make the final say.

I would call the DNR on the feeder issue, I believe its still not allowed and appears to be moving towards a permanent ban.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Lets face it the wild deer and baiting are not nor will ever be the problem, its the irresponsible deer farm owners!!!!!!! BY the way I havent baited for deer in ten years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts