Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Michigan residents its that time of year again. The state is accepting the $4 donations for what is the Michigan Elk Season. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
In have been donating for the last 20+ years:thumbs_do I wish they would go to the point system like they do for the bear tags that would be a lot more fair to those of us who send in every year for a tag.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I drew a MI cow tag in 1998. Everyone goes for the bull tags, I applied for either sex and drew the first yr I put in. It took me the whole season to fill that tag, I could have shot a big bull in the first hr of the season. I had numerous other bulls within bow range as well during that hunt. Cows, were elusive. Elk hunting was so much fun I had to move to a state where I have a reasonable chance of bowhunting them occassionally. I've been pretty lucky in the draw and for bowhunting AZ elk. (2 bulls and 2 cows) Good luck on your draw, elk is mighty tasty meat.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,108 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I will donate my $4.00 and hope this will be the year! :D

·
Catty Shack
12,177 Posts
Maybe $4 isn't enough. Seems like alot of hunting stories I read is about some doctor, lawyer, or famous person getting an elk here in Michiagn. Maybe you're suppose to put more than $4 in the envelope!

·
Registered
473 Posts
In have been donating for the last 20+ years:thumbs_do I wish they would go to the point system like they do for the bear tags that would be a lot more fair to those of us who send in every year for a tag.
The draw system is a weighted lottery, every year you put in for a tag, the next year it gives you another chance..so say you have put in every year for the past 5 years, this year you would have 6 "names in the hat" instead of one.
Either way it is a very hard tag to draw, I have been trying for 13 years and will keep on it, probably until the day I die:wink:

·
Catty Shack
12,177 Posts
I was at Cabelas this morning in Dundee and picked up a Michigan elk guide. The Aug., Sept., & Oct. periods cover the areas in the upper portion of the state except for the "honeyhole" in the middle part of that area which is only open during the Dec. period. As I look at some of the areas that are open, it would seem highly unlikely any elk would ever be in them. The "weighted" drawing system seems a bit unusual compared to other states that have preference points that gives them priority over a first time applicant.

The rules state: successful applicants will be notified of their license type, hunt period, and area assigned before they purchase their license.

Also, it states if you recieve an anterless-only license, you cannot reapply for 10 years. If you draw an any-elk ( cow or bull), you are done for the rest of your life.

So I thought, what if you draw an area where there aren't any elk, and decide not to purchase a license and take part in the hunt? What about the 10 year or life ban? I called the DNR and asked. After conferring with someone else, they said if I were drawn and elected not to purchase the license, I would lose only my "chances" that I may have accumulated (reset to zero) but would still be able to apply the following year.

I would think our weighted system that allows first year applicants (doctors, lawyers, politicians) a chance to get a license ahead of someone who's been applying for 13 years is a bit unfair. In Iowa for example, if you have the most points accumulated, you WILL get the license first. But then again, this is Michigan so it's not unusual for things to be screwed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts