Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
how do you feel about the "early doe hunt" set to take place in September on the 18th, and did you know that it is a "gun only hunt" ?

did you hear that this year in the SLP that we are allowed to shoot "5" doe instead of "3" like last year ?

did you hear about the Upper Peninsula has implemented "antler restrictions", and how do you feel about that, and would you like the to see our whole state do the same thing ?

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Yep, I have read all about the things that you have mentioned. I for one have no interrest in the early doe season and will pass on it. I can fill all my doe tags later on. The new regs for the UP buck harvest are a step in the right direction, however the thing to keep in mind for up there is that mother nature has more to do with regulating the deer population then any DNR restrictions. We really do need to bring the doe numbers into balance and also find away to protect more of the yearling bucks though.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
how do you feel about the "early doe hunt" set to take place in September on the 18th, and did you know that it is a "gun only hunt" ?

did you hear that this year in the SLP that we are allowed to shoot "5" doe instead of "3" like last year ?

did you hear about the Upper Peninsula has implemented "antler restrictions", and how do you feel about that, and would you like the to see our whole state do the same thing ?
from my understanding you can use archery equipment

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check your facts......this hunt was set up to "thin the doe herd" and the DNR has made sure that the job gets done.....Gun only, and we can shoot 5 doe this year instead of only 3.......

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
check your facts......this hunt was set up to "thin the doe herd" and the DNR has made sure that the job gets done.....Gun only, and we can shoot 5 doe this year instead of only 3.......
Thin the doe herd & DNR making sure the job gets done..:ROFLMAO:
IMO there are better options..

Gun only..Oh well I guess the doe thinning around us will have to wait until Oct 1...Like usual
Can we take a total of 5 all season or do the 5 have to be taken during the special season...

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,162 Posts
It may just help out the buck to doe ratio. Right now its probably 15 does to one buck in my area. Rattling is not effective because plenty of does to go around.

I say if they don't shoot button bucks and does only, it may make the rut even better for us come Oct/November.

Bottomline, the DNR will do as they see fit. We just have to adapt to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts