Archery Talk Forum banner

Michigan Hunters

511 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Mich.bowhunter
The NRC on Thursday voted unanimously to approve a PEMANENT ban on deer and elk baiting and feeding in the lower peninsula. So I guess It's done for good. I do feel sorry for those folks who made there living from growing selling bait here in Michigan.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
478 Posts
Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct. 10, 2008

Natural Resources Commission Approves Deer Baiting and Feeding Ban for Lower Peninsula

The Natural Resources Commission on Thursday voted unanimously to approve a permanent ban on deer and elk baiting and feeding in the Lower Peninsula.

Department of Natural Resources Director Rebecca Humphries issued an interim order placing an immediate ban on baiting and feeding on Aug. 26, after a captive deer from a privately owned facility tested positive for chronic wasting disease. Humphries’ order, as prescribed by the state’s CWD emergency response plan adopted in 2002, would have expired Feb. 26, 2009, but the NRC action removes the expiration date and makes the ban permanent.

Additionally, the NRC approved orders that require hunters who take a deer in the nine townships that comprise the CWD Surveillance Zone in northern Kent County to come to a DNR deer check station. The orders also regulate the movement of carcasses from the Surveillance Zone and give replacement kill tags to any hunter who presents a deer at a check station that shows signs of CWD.

The NRC action is just the latest effort in a campaign designed to prevent the spread of CWD, an always fatal neurological disease of deer, elk and moose.

Since Sept. 1, DNR conservation officers have issued 102 tickets for illegal deer and elk baiting in the Lower Peninsula.

“There has been talk that we weren’t going to be able to enforce this baiting ban in the Lower Peninsula, but the number of tickets we have issued so far shows that we are very serious about enforcement of the ban,” said Humphries. “Our primary goal is to protect the health of our wild white-tailed deer and elk populations. Stopping CWD from becoming established in our wild deer and elk is our top priority.”

“We appreciate the hunters who have abided by the ban and are no longer baiting,” Humphries added. “Protecting the resource --white-tailed deer and elk -- should be everyone’s priority.”

The DNR’s Law Enforcement Division reported that in a period from Sept. 22 to Oct. 5, 34.6 percent of the calls to the Report All Poaching (RAP) hotline concerned illegal baiting. Last year during a similar time frame, baiting complaints made up only 11.3 percent of the RAP hotline calls. While there was no baiting and feeding ban in 2007, the complaints last year would have related to over-baiting or baiting in the Bovine Tuberculosis zone in northeast Lower Michigan.
“We are encouraged that sportsmen and women are taking part in this initiative,” Humphries said. “We appreciate them taking the health of our deer herd as seriously as we do.”

Since the CWD-positive deer was discovered, the DNR has tested 1,095 deer statewide; of those, 964 tested negative with the remaining 131 tests are pending.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

· Registered
106 Posts
Sad day for Michigan...

Not only is the Michigan ecomony at an all time low but now the DNR is catching up....it's too bad.

What is going to happen to all the farmers who have a years worth of bait/feed still on hand? What impact will this have on the already hurting economy? Who knows but I know that the hunters in Michigan aren't very happy.

More food for thought....If you ask a DNR Officer from another state (Illinois, and Iowa are the two I spoke to) they laugh when you tell them you are from Michigan....when is this going to stop? What will it take?

Either way - Good luck to all the Michigan hunters this year!!

· Classifieds Administrator
39,734 Posts
On my way to my hunting property, I still see side of the road stands and gas stations selling bait. Still labeled as "deer feed" too.

The DNR is not regulating the sale of it, but if you get caught using it for deer feed they will issue a fine.

· Registered
1,939 Posts
I wonder how many hunters will stop bow hunting because of the baiting ban. Some of you will say "Good Ridance", but can we afford to lose any hunters now? I guess we`ll have to see what impact this has on the number of licenses that will be sold next year. Time will tell.

· Banned
1,340 Posts
Im actually doing a speech on CWD and it made me realize how minor the problem was. There have been sooooo may deer tested already and none of them have it.

There was talk of lifting the ban before gun season.. guess they went the other way with it.

I guess its not all bad cause itll force people to do a little more scouting, plus it keeps me from having to dump 6 bucks on a bag of corn...

All in all its sort of a dissapointment considering I've been struggling as it is, but it really is pushing me to get a job with the DNR...

· Registered
106 Posts
Not sure it will make better hunters....

I think there a lot of good hunters in Michigan so I am not sure I agree that not feeding will make even more of them but the real issue is the fact that the entire state has been hunting like this for years and accepting this change will take quite awhile....couple that with the lack of trust and faith that I see most of the hunters having with the DNR and you could have a huge mess on your hands.

Like I said, Good luck to all the Michigan hunters and I can't wait to see how this plays out!!!

· Registered
106 Posts
BowFlyGSP...your right

There are hunters who will be fine/happy with this and that is ok. I should have clarified by saying...the hunters that I know are not very happy....good point out.

old Graybeard - I am sure that everyone will live with it but I think it is unfortunate that this ban had to come after a "captive deer from a privately owned facility" is what brought this on. This will not only have a negative impact on our hunting but it is going to hurt the already hurting economy.
I find it funny that this comes at a time when the attention of the TB issue is sort of on the down side???

Good luck to all the Michigan hunters!!!

· Registered
238 Posts
I don't bait anyway , but in my honest opinion the michigan dnr doesn't know as much as they think they do about deer managment. Michigan has the potential to be a illinois,kansas,iowa ect....... but they just listen to the insurance lobbyist and kill them all, two buck tags is the first problem, my opinion is earn a buck (shoot a doe then get your buck tag) and then they should make a good QDM decision and make a 3 or 4 points on one side. Do this for 2 or 3 years and nobody would ever want to shoot a year and half buck again in Michigan. I hunt all over the country and world and Michigan is by far the worst when it comes to deer managment in my opinion.:clap:

· Registered
5,106 Posts
Congrats to the Mi DNR for growing a pair.
EXACTLY!! It didn't have to take CWD to make this happen.
So far, the hunting has been 200% better on the public land I hunt. I am actually seeing daylight movement again. Imagine that!
Dan

· Registered
67 Posts
I am glad there is a ban also, keeps my stupid ass causin (neighbor) from baiting during prime hunting time on his damn 4 wheeler, seriously pisses me off. Kinda funny though the local Big Acre has a sign up for "Horse Carrots"

· Registered
680 Posts
deer feed ban

it is probably a good thing with the feeding ban in place,which will keep a lot of 1 1/2 old bucks from being shot over a pile of bait, but the hard thing is the loss of the millions of dollars the farmers just lost over one deer that was in a pen. all the money & energy that was planted in the ground was just wasted. now the hunter is going to have to go back to basics which will let the 1 1/2 bucks make it to 2 1/2 which is good. good luck everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.