Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying some for extreme cold weather. My feet get very cold when it gets 20 degrees and below. Has anyone ever used these and if so, how'd you like them? I wear a size 8 1/2 shoe and was told to get the 9 by some people and others said I should get the size 8 because they run large. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
If your talking about the white blow up boots that the military issues then yeah I've worn them. I've seen them now and then on Military surplus sites. I always liked the green canvas Muckalucs with the wool booties better. Randy

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I'm thinking about buying some for extreme cold weather. My feet get very cold when it gets 20 degrees and below. Has anyone ever used these and if so, how'd you like them? I wear a size 8 1/2 shoe and was told to get the 9 by some people and others said I should get the size 8 because they run large. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Heck yes buy them!! I have a pair of black ones I got from an army surplus store and they are my go to boot when it gets cold. I wear a pair of super thick socks and my feet are nice and toasty!!

I think mine were maybe $40. Can't beat that!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, I've worn them for several years now but they are kind of heavy. The military issue boots have the valve on them but there are some cheap copies out there that don't. That valve is for equalizing pressure at extreme elivations. You do not blow them up!

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Bunny Boots"

The "Bunny Boots" are designed to keep you feet warm during moderate activity. So, if you are sitting in a tree stand and your feet get cold don't blame the boots. They were not designed for those types of activities. With that being said, they are great boots, but I don't know if they would be my first choice for a hunting boot.

Also, as stated don't blow into the pressure release valve. This negates the effectiveness of the boots by allowing moisture into the air space which is part of the insulation of the boot.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I've wearing the black ones since 1976. I have no problem wearing them for tree stand hunting. They are the only boot that has kept my feet warm. Used them for ice fishing, working, snowmobiled in them, just about everything. Great boot.

·
Sultan of Smack
5,564 Posts
I've had a couple pair over the last 15 years. They are a tad heavy if you are doing a lot of walking. With that being said, they are a very warm boot.

SCFox

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes, I've worn them for several years now but they are kind of heavy. The military issue boots have the valve on them but there are some cheap copies out there that don't.
Actually the older styles did not have an air valve. Hoods (MFR) never did. I believe when they were updated Bristolite began putting the valves in?

I've wearing the black ones since 1976. I have no problem wearing them for tree stand hunting. They are the only boot that has kept my feet warm. Used them for ice fishing, working, snowmobiled in them, just about everything. Great boot.
I love them also! They are great boots but, heavy. I will take heavy over cold anyday :D
I have used mine for all outdoor activities, and have had them since I was old enough to buy a pair! I am on my third pair now in about 20 years. Never had another boot last as long either, very durable!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses. Any info on sizing before ordering? Go smaller or larger?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have worn Mickey Mouse boots for 40 yrs...had a pair on today as a matter of fact...only boots that I will wear when the weather gets cold like it does here in Michigan...I remember about 10 yrs ago wearing a pair and when I was walking to my stand I steped into a hole and broke thru a layer of ice and my right boot filled up with water....I took off the boot, removed my sock, wrung them out, put my sock and boot back on, went to my stand and set for 4 hrs in about 20 degree temps...when I took the boot back off I had steam comming out of it...my feet never did get cold, my right foot did get cool but nothing I could not stand...Mickey Mouse boots are still my number 1 choice when it comes to hunting in extream weather

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I normaly wear a size 12 shoe...I wear a size 12 Mickey Mouse boot...and I have hunted in them with only a pair of dress socks...If you keep your core warm your feet will not get cold...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
ain't the white ones rated for lower temps than the black ones

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Other than being a little heavy they are really warm boots. I have the black ones which are considered cold weather boots and the white ones are considered extreme cold weather boots.

Like what was said above, you don't put air in the valve on them. Those are for if you're going into high altitudes.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The "Bunny Boots" are designed to keep you feet warm during moderate activity. So, if you are sitting in a tree stand and your feet get cold don't blame the boots. They were not designed for those types of activities. With that being said, they are great boots, but I don't know if they would be my first choice for a hunting boot.

Also, as stated don't blow into the pressure release valve. This negates the effectiveness of the boots by allowing moisture into the air space which is part of the insulation of the boot.
It's the only boot that I have found that keep my feet warm for hours regardless of temps and regardless of activity.
Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts