Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made the transition into field shooting and having a absolute blast with it. However, I would like to get some smaller diameter arrows to cut through the wind better. There are lots out there! And some with some rather large price tags. Which is a good arrow without breaking the bank for someone getting into field shooting?

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,127 Posts
I shoot Easton Carbon One arrows for all my outdoor target stuff. They are great shafts for the money.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Black Eagle X Impacts with target points. Most consistent in all ways and not breaking bank expensive. Get some free advice from Jerry at Southshore. handles thousand of arrows a month

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
Just made the transition into field shooting and having a absolute blast with it. However, I would like to get some smaller diameter arrows to cut through the wind better. There are lots out there! And some with some rather large price tags. Which is a good arrow without breaking the bank for someone getting into field shooting?
Pm sent

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
When I was starting out in NFAA field, one of my shooting buddies talked me into ACEs and they are an excellent arrow. You won't be disappointed in them, except for the price. Have seen quite a few using ACCs, which shoot very well, but are a little less expensive. I tried VAP V1s, but had problems with inconsistent spine around an arrow and from dozen to dozen as measured with my Ram Products spine tester, but still use them for hunting. Spent too much time nock tuning them. Now trying X-Impacts and they are pretty good. No problems with them out to 90 meters (FITA distance) so will use them until something better comes along.

I took 2nd place in a state match using ACEs losing to a very good shooter using Easton Carbon Ones, which are a less expensive, a good flying arrow. That taught me that you don't need a premium arrow to win at least at the state level.

The best field archer in out club uses CX Nano Pros at $400 / dz. Don't recommend them unless you are a world class shooter. Definitely overkill.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've been shooting Easton Carbon One's and have been very happy with them... I also just started sshooting Black Eagle Deep Impacts (basically same spec arrow as my C1's!), and so far they've been just as solid!

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
I use ACC's for everything...hard to be the accuracy, durability and cost.

I wish we had some long range (90M) shooting comps here but the farthest we shoot is 70m.

Currently I'm using ACC's 3-28's (500's), 120grn Tophat's, Pins W/ Beiter nocks and AAE Max 2.0... Unfortunately I'm not good enough to see their true accuracy...lol

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Black Eagle X-Impacts gets my vote consistent in spine and weight and straightness.... tough arrow too

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
ACC's here. Great bang for the buck

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here are my thoughts on field arrows based on what I have shot. Acc's are incredible for the price, Easton really knows how to make an aluminum cored arrow. While they aren't micro diameter, their relatively heavy GPI make them very well suited for shooting longer distances even in windy conditions. Black eagle X-impacts impressed me with their consistency to listed tolerances. Spine, weight and spin tested mine and with just a couple small cuts from the ends had shafts that are by those indicators are more consistent than my X10 Protours. Very impressive. The original Easton X10's can be found at fairly reasonable prices if you search carefully in places like the classified or even EBay. Great shaft and a marvel of aerodynamics. I personally currently shoot the X10 Protours, partly because they are a great shaft and my best scores have come with them, and partially because they are just cool. So the questions that you need to decide is the parameters that you want your arrows to meet? What is the furthest shot you plan on taking? How relevant is wind drift where I shoot? If you pick from any of the shafts mentioned above in other posts and build your arrows with care they all will perform incredibly. Here would be my choice. If wind is a huge factor and price needs to be kept lower, either the acc's or black eagle Deep Impacts. If more speed is wanted black eagle x-impact or x10 Protours. If pure long distance is the main focus and you don't mind a little experimentation the original x10 would be short listed for me. I haven't ever shot carbon one's or the easton A/C field so I can't speak for them, but I would always lean toward an aluminum cored arrow if easton was my chosen brand. They just have too much experience and amazing tolerances with aluminum that can't be ignored. Hope you are as confused as we all are.....it means you will end up with 20 dozen arrows laying around and isn't that the dream anyway? If not I am doing it all wrong! Happy shooting.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I shot my Protours for Field and they worked well except on badly worn target butts...the small diameter had them buried up to and passed the fletchings. Not the arrows fault but they are too damned expensive to shoot through targets repeatedly. If I get back into Field I'll look at another arrow type.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts