Archery Talk Forum banner

Middle finger releases . . .

2084 Views 23 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  UniversalFrost
Looking to see what middle finger trigger releases are currently being made.

Although out of production, I know of the Copper John Eagle and Double Eagle (2 finger models). Are there any other releases that are designed to be shot with the middle finger?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3,868 Posts
Years ago i added a Teflon sleeve from the hardware store to my Scott Mongoose. It lengthened the trigger out so that I could trigger it with the middle finger. You could try that first?:darkbeer:

· Registered
47,636 Posts
The only ones I know of are the CJ/Stans. I use a two finger with a leather buckle strap myself and it is great for me. I love the thing. Mine is a few years old so there was no tension adjustment so I just tried a couple different springs and found a stiff one I liked. The simple sear mechanism in them does let you set them to trigger with no perceptible travel, and that makes it pretty easy to shoot with back tension.

· Registered
12,517 Posts
Looking to see what middle finger trigger releases are currently being made.

Although out of production, I know of the Copper John Eagle and Double Eagle (2 finger models). Are there any other releases that are designed to be shot with the middle finger?
Meleagris....there are some possibilities on the horizon. Insolent Minx says he has prototypes for a double sear middle finger release. He said they have some things planned next year but are not 100% sure what will be released. Give him a PM and let him know what you would like to see. I sent him a PM a few months back begging for something like the Eagle Duo but, with a crisp double sear trigger. I told him my perfect release would be the Stan Eagle Duo with a Carter 2 Shot trigger mechanism.

I have talked to Minx a couple of times and we discussed how great a middle finger release is. Most people who fight target panic with an index finger release don't realize that how easy it is to shoot a middle finger. The middle finger is for lack of a better term, dumb when compared to the index. It is MUCH harder to punch or command the middle finger than it is the index.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Meleagris....there are some possibilities on the horizon. Insolent Minx says he has prototypes for a double sear middle finger release. He said they have some things planned next year but are not 100% sure what will be released. Give him a PM and let him know what you would like to see. I sent him a PM a few months back begging for something like the Eagle Duo but, with a crisp double sear trigger. I told him my perfect release would be the Stan Eagle Duo with a Carter 2 Shot trigger mechanism.

I have talked to Minx a couple of times and we discussed how great a middle finger release is. Most people who fight target panic with an index finger release don't realize that how easy it is to shoot a middle finger. The middle finger is for lack of a better term, dumb when compared to the index. It is MUCH harder to punch or command the middle finger than it is the index.
YES! That is great news for me. I've been wanting a new release in case something happens to my aging and irreplaceable Eagle. If they are building an improved version (and make it with a nice leather buckle, OK?) I would be all over it! Any idea when they will hit the market?

And I do agree that they are much harder to command than an index trigger. So easy to shoot with a dead middle finger and backtension. Plus, for me anyway, it lets me shoot and anchor with something that feels like a handheld without it flaring up my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It would help people with arthritis, too, that can't use a handheld for long.

· Registered
695 Posts
you can still get the eagle's from CJ/stan. I know they are no longer made, but folks still have new and used ones.

I just picked up a 3 finger and a 4 finger that were new old stock. Also, my local dealer has a 3 finger and a 2 finger left in stock. They are on ebay as well.

I tried out a 3 finger version of the eagle and loved it. they are now my go to releases for hunting and trips to the range. just do a WTB ad and folks will offer up releases for sale.

JOE

· Registered
78 Posts
Best middle finger release.

I use the middle finger on my right hand. I drawback with two fingers and drop the top one off. Works great and i never forget them or have to replace them. Try it you may like it.

· Registered
12,517 Posts
YES! That is great news for me. I've been wanting a new release in case something happens to my aging and irreplaceable Eagle. If they are building an improved version (and make it with a nice leather buckle, OK?) I would be all over it! Any idea when they will hit the market?

And I do agree that they are much harder to command than an index trigger. So easy to shoot with a dead middle finger and backtension. Plus, for me anyway, it lets me shoot and anchor with something that feels like a handheld without it flaring up my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It would help people with arthritis, too, that can't use a handheld for long.
Well....I am not sure exactly what their plans are but, he did tell me that he has a protptype and has a bunch of other stuff......you might want to let him know too that you would love to have one too. Maybe we can persuade him into putting them into production.

I know one thing, I would be a fanboy of that release in a heartbeat!:mg:

· Registered
3,895 Posts
I still have a 3 finger double eagle for Stan-CJ.

· Registered
4,646 Posts
I tried the 3 finger Copper John and I think there is no better way to fire a release with back tension than using the middle finger. The only reason I don't shoot it is because it is so uncomfortable trying to pull the bow back with the two other fingers. I know they say to use the wrist strap but that's not for me.

How do you guys pull them with out fireing them?

· Registered
695 Posts
grab onto the strap with my hand and pull back with the wrist, but the hand is on the strap to control a bit. it actually allowed me to increase my draw weight 4 pounds (I only shoot a DW that I can pull back nice and smooth from a sitting position).

The group sizes really shrunk and I just love the release. I PM'd InsolentMink awhile back and asked why they discontinued the release, because it is the best sub $100 release I have used.

JOE

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried the 3 finger Copper John and I think there is no better way to fire a release with back tension than using the middle finger. The only reason I don't shoot it is because it is so uncomfortable trying to pull the bow back with the two other fingers. I know they say to use the wrist strap but that's not for me.

How do you guys pull them with out fireing them?
I agree with you about the 3 finger being tough to draw, this is why I like the 2 finger. I just drop my middle finger off or behind the trigger and then once I get to full draw, put it in place. With a 3 finger, it nearly impossible to drop the middle finger off the release, you are forced to stick it straight out with it very unnatural and difficult to do. It also creates a lot of unnecessary tension in you hand by extending your middle finger that way, which is not good either.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
On my two finger I set the strap so that I can draw it with only a small amount of pressure on my index finger with my middle finger extended. It's pretty short. I anchor and curl my middle finger around the trigger bar, but it does fit where I can do this and not set it off. Then it's just a matter of aiming and pulling through. This way allows me to never let off the back tension or having to think about moving my finger from behind the trigger.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On my two finger I set the strap so that I can draw it with only a small amount of pressure on my index finger with my middle finger extended. It's pretty short. I anchor and curl my middle finger around the trigger bar, but it does fit where I can do this and not set it off. Then it's just a matter of aiming and pulling through. This way allows me to never let off the back tension or having to think about moving my finger from behind the trigger.

Same way I shoot my two finger hook, which is what I use for hunting and target now.

· Registered
1,756 Posts
I hunt with a Carter Quickie 1+. I tuck my index finger down, to give a straight surface to anchor against my jaw, and then use my middle finger on the trigger. Just anchor, preload the slightly heavy springed trigger, and pull through, activating the trigger with my middle finger.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hunt with a Carter Quickie 1+. I tuck my index finger down, to give a straight surface to anchor against my jaw, and then use my middle finger on the trigger. Just anchor, preload the slightly heavy springed trigger, and pull through, activating the trigger with my middle finger.

I was looking at the quickie and RX releases and I may pick one up to try that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.